PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Bushing repair for $1.72

shogun
09-28-2015, 08:32 AM
Both my cable bushings broke, so I needed to find a solution. I like the aluminum bushings, but thought I could find a cheaper DIY solution.

Here is the parts list
1 pack (qty 2) 3/8 nylon hex nuts ($0.68)
1 pack (qty 2) 5/8 / 5/16 rubber grommet ($1.04)
2 misc washers I already had

Here are some pictures

These are the parts used. I cut a notch in the washers to fit them over the cable. You could probably just make a single cut and bend them to open
The nuts need to be cut to fit over the cable. A very sharp utility knife does the trick. I cut mine at an angle for some reason, but at the time, I thought it was better. Use needle nose pliers to spread apart to fit over cable. It takes a bit to spread them and they close back up tightly. I don't have any worries about them relaxing and coming undone

The rubber grommet fits just right around the threaded end of the cable, but is a bit on the small side for the hole in the bracket. However, with the washers and nuts on either side, all holds firm quite well. You can just barely see the grommet in this picture

You can see that with this setup there is adjustment available. With the nuts tightened, there is no movement at the bracket. All things considered, it took me longer to drive to the store than to install this.

pics and text by Avec, E32 1993 740i

bimmer nut
09-28-2015, 09:10 AM
Ingenuity at it's best. Nice job.

632 Regal
09-30-2015, 04:36 PM
Couldn't you have just taken the end of the cable off and slip the nuts and washers over the end instead of cutting them?