PDA

View Full Version : Front end rattle

632 Regal
05-21-2015, 04:31 PM
Thought for sure it would be the sway bar link coming loose as it is getting progressively worse. No deal, all tight.

Ball joint? I know they all need to be replaced and then I think of checking the top strut bolt, might be loose.

Popped the cap and see this, note the gap:

Have not been into strut mount world in a long time, could this just be the top mount being worn or does the lower part of the mount wear also?

shogun
05-21-2015, 05:03 PM
There are quite a number of parts which could cause that noise, have a look here http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partgrp?id=HD23-USA-02-1990-E34-BMW-535i&mg=31
that even includes the plastic spring pad.
I would remove the shock and check the parts and then order, after you have inspected each item

632 Regal
05-21-2015, 05:54 PM
Spring pads look intact, both sides top and bottom. I remember having this 'gap' issue on Nikka but forgot the solution. I could probably hit that top washer with a sledge hammer as a temporary fix but don't remember if that top washers rubber wears out. A visual check of the lower part of the top mount looks to be fine, no wear or cracks. The other side also has some play (air gap) but not as severe. Might try the hammer trick for a quick fix.

632 Regal
05-22-2015, 11:15 AM
Today we will check the strut collar nut. Don't know why I failed to think of that.

632 Regal
05-22-2015, 01:47 PM
Got a half turn out of it with no change in the rattle. Something is seriously loose down there... somewhere.

632 Regal
05-23-2015, 09:39 PM
Refreshers:

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php/38369-Why-am-I-changing-thrust-arm-bushes-more-than-my-underpants?highlight=bilstein

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php/20903-Boge-or-Sach?highlight=bilstein

Spending a lot of time with this, I know I have the solution somewhere...

Equnox is new struts... Doubt that is the problem but who knows.

Javier
05-24-2015, 11:59 AM
Jeff, I don't think this gap is normal. In fact. if you pull up the car you will notice it closes down, so it means there is an non damped (no strut operation) movement up and down in the front end. The higher the gap, the worst the rattle. It is a general recommendation to replace the strut mounts when replacing struts. I do not normally follow it for economical reasons, but my first strut change in the rear end, ended with a heavy rattling shortly after replacing the struts, and only ended when ordered and replaced the mounts. My E34 front end struts also got his first and only change without changing mounts, and also have a gap now, wider in the right side, but yours is quite more significant.

632 Regal
05-24-2015, 01:22 PM
I smashed the top washer so it is now tight but the rattle/klunking stayed the same. Today my son hung out the window on a gravel road and said the tire is going in and out like some steering parts are loose. When I checked it on ramps everything 'seemed' tight. I will check again though. Also it still makes the noise even with the braked applied, which in my eyes says the ball joints are not the culprit. I am unable to rebuild the entire front end at this time but will have to if I can't figure this out.

This one really has me baffled so far.

shogun
05-24-2015, 11:44 PM
Did you check the lug bolts on the wheel? Are they tightened?

632 Regal
05-25-2015, 03:14 PM
Did you check the lug bolts on the wheel? Are they tightened?

Re-torqued every time I took it off, 5 times now.

632 Regal
06-05-2015, 07:26 PM
Replaced the trouble side Bilstein strut insert with a cheap china sensen strut ($65.00 for both but has no strut collars). Problem solved and the car dropped back down 1.5 inches. Bilstein failure yet again. Need to pick up some collar nuts and a pair of lowering stops to fix both sides. Bilstein strut nut collars will hold the strut securely but will not work properly and ruin the stops on a hard hit so I am driving easy. Beats wondering if a strut mount is going to explode into the hood.

The Bilstein was puking oil from the top of the strut and so firm I cant push it down at all. Another Win! for the recommended Bilstein empire.

That's 4 total fails for Bilstein in my book. Others rave over these pieces of junk, me not so much. The Boge turbo gas were fantastic but I can't find a cross to their new advantage replacements. Seems not available for the E34 unless you want total stock.

Some claim the Sensen are junk some say they got 80K and still rocking (circa 2013). I think the newer crowd that try them fail to fill the housing with oil which could be a big problem. These china struts are narrower and take about 5 oz of oil to get it 3/4 up the strut. I am hoping they fixed the issues and I will have a decent ride for a bit. Only put 5000 a year on her so this could be a decent idea, I won't know for a while but will post my experiences.

shogun
06-06-2015, 07:38 AM
In case they are not long lasting: KYB 4 SHOCKS BMW E34 525i 528i 530 535i 90 to 95 (Fits: BMW) abt. $260.00 in the wellknown auction house

Clarksonvalley
07-26-2015, 02:06 PM
I had both rear Bilstein Sport shocks fail on my 540i - they were leaking oil. I called Bilstein, faxed them a copy of the receipt when I bought the shocks and they replaced them without charge The Bilstein's are guaranteed for life.

632 Regal
07-27-2015, 06:58 PM
I had both rear Bilstein Sport shocks fail on my 540i - they were leaking oil. I called Bilstein, faxed them a copy of the receipt when I bought the shocks and they replaced them without charge The Bilstein's are guaranteed for life.

If you want to replace this blown front with a new one let me know. I lost all receipts in the move to here. I have the other good working unit but waiting to buy the proper strut collar nuts before doing it all over again. PM me or something.

genphreak
07-29-2015, 09:14 AM
Replaced the trouble side Bilstein strut insert with a cheap china sensen strut ($65.00 for both but has no strut collars). Problem solved and the car dropped back down 1.5 inches. Bilstein failure yet again.

Wow ANOTHER ONE... It is just amazing how all your Billies fail. I've never seen a bad one, and although they're valved too damn hard for an e34 (excepting track use) I like the way the twin-tube ones are made- you know, they come apart, the seals are replaceable, they're made out of decent material, nice paint, internal bump stops (a good idea if you are ok with opening the strut when they fail, in which case the seals need to be changed anyhow...). Just weird.

Anyhow, I don't track my cars so I leave them for others- Koni Sports are my faves :-)

Javier
08-14-2015, 08:15 AM
About one month ago I started to have a rattle in the front right side, I would say it could be associated to the strut. Last week I decided to disassemble the strut mounting and found the Collar nut (The threaded ring that holds the strut insert in place) completely loose. (only right side was loose, as checked both sides to be sure).

After tightening and re-assembling, the rattle was gone. Also noticed that after the job, the gap in the top, as shown in you picture, was removed, just can not say why was that. May be a loose top nut, as I noticed there was no significant wearing on the rubber.