PDA

View Full Version : 1991 535iM - clunk when turning

Thanos
06-21-2004, 09:17 AM
I have recently noticed a quick low thud/clunk when I am turning the steering wheel all the way to the left and rolling slowly forward, e.g. while parking. Any ideas what this might be?

Thanks in advance, Thanos

bimmerd00d
06-21-2004, 09:38 AM
possibly a ball joint, or steering link.

Thanos
06-21-2004, 10:04 AM
Thanks. Would these things be expected to have an effect that I might notice in normal driving (to dinstinguish them)?

bimmerd00d
06-21-2004, 10:07 AM
if you jack up the car, you might be able to shake the wheel. You shouldn't be able to shake it laterally or vertically at all.

Bruno
06-21-2004, 10:09 AM
Thanks. Would these things be expected to have an effect that I might notice in normal driving (to dinstinguish them)?

632 Regal
06-21-2004, 11:30 AM
Might want to crawl under the front end and have a friend turn the steering wheel back and forth lightly to see if the steering linkages are loose. Will probably have to take it in to have the ball joints tested though.

Thanos
06-21-2004, 01:14 PM
Thank you all. I will let you know what I find. Will have to take it to my indep. shop (Little Garage in Queens).

Thanos

Unregistered
06-21-2004, 03:17 PM
Thank you all. I will let you know what I find. Will have to take it to my indep. shop (Little Garage in Queens).

Thanos

and guess who fixed it ? The Little Garage.. Last thing I had done before I moved to Orlando,Fl. Say hi to Matt for Me. Names is Lu Fontanez

Thanos
06-22-2004, 09:22 AM
Can you tell me what they did?

Also, I drove last night and I cannot detect any abnormality with normal driving...so I may put this off unless someone cautions otherwise.

Mr Project
06-22-2004, 10:15 AM
I have exactly the same problem, and found a loose ball joint in the center steering link using the 'put it on ramps and have an assistant gently rock the steering wheel' method. I bought all new parts from BMA, just haven't had time to install them yet. A little over $200 for everything but the box (center, both sides, and idler).... I figured with 180k I should just do the whole system rather than futzing around with pieces.

Unregistered
06-22-2004, 03:17 PM
Can you tell me what they did?

Also, I drove last night and I cannot detect any abnormality with normal driving...so I may put this off unless someone cautions otherwise.

I dont really remember what it was that they did,but if you mention my name and tell him that you are having the same problem I was having (ask for Demos) Im sure he will tell you. The clunk only happens when you turn the wheel ? Because if thats it then its the same thing as mine,and it wasnt a ball joint.