PDA

View Full Version : Steering Linkage Question

Super90
06-21-2004, 09:07 AM
Getting ready to replace all the steering linkage components and the upper control arms as we are loose in the front end again.

When I ordered the steering parts from Patrick at BMA, I asked for Lemforder bits. He said that on the center link, that the Lemforder part was actually TRW, and that would be the part in the Leforder bag and there is no reason to pay an extra $20 for the Lemforder "bag" when the part is the same. At the time I thought, sure, no use in paying extra for the same bits. So, I have Lemforder tie rod ends and pitman arm, but TRW center section.

Does this sound correct? Or, should I ask them to send the Lemforder part and return the TRW center link? Not a fan of cheap aftermarket parts. OE or better, please!

Thoughts?

Many thanks,

R.

mholbrook
06-21-2004, 09:20 AM
I've got those exact same parts in my 535 and it is tight as in perfect. Patrick is my guy at BMA also and I trust him totally. Like he said, no point in paying the 20 for the bag. You're going to be fine. Why didn't you replace the lower control arms while you are there since everything else is coming out. TRW is not a cheap part company by the way.

Super90
06-21-2004, 01:50 PM
I am a big fan of Patrick and Yves. They have helped me out many a time. This was just one of those things that I wondered about after the fact. Not that TRW is low quality stuff, its just that on average OE parts seem to fit better and work better.

As for the lower control arms, I replaced those and the sway bar links about 20k mi. ago, so they ought to be good. This is the second time for the upper control arm bushings (aka thrust arms) and I am doing the whole arm with M5 bushing instead of just the 750 bushings.

Hoping to knock this out this coming weekend and get her in for an alignment next Monday!

Super90
06-21-2004, 01:51 PM
I am a big fan of Patrick and Yves. They have helped me out many a time. This was just one of those things that I wondered about after the fact. Not that TRW is low quality stuff, its just that on average OE parts seem to fit better and work better.

As for the lower control arms, I replaced those and the sway bar links about 20k mi. ago, so they ought to be good. This is the second time for the upper control arm bushings (aka thrust arms) and I am doing the whole arm with M5 bushing instead of just the 750 bushings.

Hoping to knock this out this coming weekend and get her in for an alignment next Monday!