PDA

View Full Version : Brake Fluid Reservoir Grommets

RobPatt
03-15-2015, 09:22 AM
During my head install project there's limited room to connect/disconnect cables and lines, like the fuel lines coming up the firewall by the brake booster.

Reaching in there, my forearms put lateral pressure on the brake fluid reservoir. I didn't think anything of it.

Later I noticed my brake fluid was really low.
I filled it up, then noticed a seepage out from the bottom of the reservoir, so I wiggled the reservoir and it was loose...more fluid leaked.

The rubber grommets that connect the reservoir to the master cylinder were in really bad shape.
Replacements were about $2 each from Pelican Parts....

There are a few brands/styles. My master cylinder said Girling. But after cleaning, I could see the booster and the reservoir said LUCAS.
I guess TRW bought Lucas as some point, so I got the TRW grommets. The other grommets online were made for ATE brake systems. My 93 525ia had Lucas.

I got a household liquid hand soap pump, cleaned it, and used it to pump the fluid out of the reservoir.
Lift the reservoir straight up and it comes off.

Pull the old grommets, snap in the new ones on the master cylinder.
Keep everything clean, you don't want debris into the residual fluid in the ports on the master cylinder.
Pictures of the old ones, and the part number for the new... are below.
New grommets, installed, are in the final picture.

Clean the reservoir well and snap it into the master cylinder, refill and you're done.
In this case, I didn't get air into the system, so I didn't need to bleed.

Piece of cake, recommend doing it if never done on your car. The old grommets were like fragile sponges.
Hope this helps someone, I've learned so much from this board.
-Rob

BigKriss
03-16-2015, 07:58 PM
Ive done this before. When they start to leak you know they need replacing.

genphreak
03-22-2015, 09:20 PM
Me too. They are either good or all of a sudden, soften...

pays to keep an eye on them, no doubt.

Thanks for sharing Rob, nice work with pics, part numbers, prices, et al!