PDA

View Full Version : Fixed IHKA intermittently powering on and off - DIY

shogun
03-12-2015, 12:27 AM
The fan and the green lights on the IHKA controller switch on and off intermittently. The blending doors were popping open and close every few minutes. Lately it would completely turn itself off for a long time and cut off air circulation so it got to the point I could no longer put up with. It was the solder joints on the controller board beneath the several connectors. Removing the controller the first time was a pain because it requires a lifting of a plastic lever on the driver's side and I can never remember how I did it the time before. Visually at least one pin underneath each connector showed a circular crack around the pin. Re-soldering all the joints (underneath the connectors) fixed the problem. Now I should pull out the IHKA circuit board from the shelf(that I removed and replaced) because it didn't work and I haven't checked the solder joints underneath the four connectors.
Here with pics by Patrick http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/1249309

genphreak
03-22-2015, 09:23 PM
Happened to me last week on the '95 touring with the manual IHKA.

Was going to swap the transistor/sword module as I suspected this but from this it looks like I'll need to do the IHKA instead... thanks Shogun!