PDA

View Full Version : Problems on BimmerNut with Internet Explorer browser?

shogun
02-17-2015, 08:52 PM
Since some days I have probs with IE on BimmerNut, I contacted our webmaster Ed:

Please check the forum, with internet explorer: "bimmernut com is not responding" I always get when I go to the site and my PC freezes, that is since 2 days now. Also could not merge double posts as a mode for example.
That was/is with Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7. Now I just tried with google chrome, that works. So either IE is the problem, or ..

Ed's reply:
have another website, crappie.com. It's very active, and I get similar complaints, but only when they use IE. IE updates itself automatically, and problems come and go all the time. I use google chrome.

--------------------
So just in case you have probs with this site at the moment with IE, use another browser like chrome etc.
Just for info

632 Regal
02-18-2015, 12:38 PM
I have no problems with Firefox.

whiskychaser
02-18-2015, 03:06 PM
I am using Windows 7 and IE 11 too. Is it possible that adverts/targeted advertising is causing the problem? I certainly have a problem with it at times

shogun
02-19-2015, 10:07 AM
Whisky: Then better run a virus scan, I got an alarm from Microsoft essentials that there is this new BrowserModifier:Win32/KipodToolsCby and removed it.
This browser modifier installs add-ons or extensions to your Internet browser without asking you or confirming that you want to install them. Usually, this threat bypasses the normal prompts or dialogs that ask for your consent to install browser extensions, toolbars, or add-ons into the Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, or Mozilla Firefox web browsers.
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/threat/Encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?Name=BrowserModifier:Win32/KipodtoolsCby

good instruction how to remove is here http://www.im-infected.com/adware/remove-browsermodifierwin32kipodtoolscby.html

whiskychaser
02-20-2015, 12:18 AM
Thanks for that. Ran a full scan Microsoft Essentials and I don't have a problem with that. Strangely, I have just logged on and not seen any adverts. So the time it takes to get to this page is reduced :-)

genphreak
03-23-2015, 12:34 AM
The first rule I advise for anyone using a modern computer:

Make sure the user account you use when browsing the web does ***not*** have administrative rights. In control panel/preferences Just create a new administrative user account, and downgrade your existing account to standard rights in the control panel/preferences.

If you browse to a site with an infected/malicious video or file for your browser to download and execute, it can't.

It'll just download and at worst, pop up a dialogue saying 'xyz' needs an administrator user's credentials to run (with a password prompt). If you cancel at this point, rather than entering your password, it will save you from losing your data/getting hacked/being blackmailed for money, whatever.

Oh and if you use IE, get off it, it's going to be gone soon. Time to get Firefox (https://mozilla.org/firefox) if you want to be 'safe' (whatever that means today)...