PDA

View Full Version : E30 Noise from rear wheels

blairsneighbore30
01-23-2015, 05:24 PM
Hey there,

I have a 1991 325i e30 convertible. Recently I noticed a squealing sound coming from the rear wheels area. Usually around acceleration. Ive looked around some forums but haven't seen anything that sounds like mine.

Also Have noticed a clunk when I change between drive and reverse and park. Happening more and more..

Any and all is much appreciated.

Thanks!

632 Regal
01-23-2015, 07:31 PM
I am going to move (copy) this thread to the main E34 forum, much more traffic than in here.

shogun
01-25-2015, 10:53 PM
Wheel bearing is normally louder in curves. I would check the driveshafts, see here in section 33 https://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/main/561en/index.htm

Nick.Hay
02-03-2015, 04:03 AM
Its not because of this, is it?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v55/robjobuk/E30%20320i/e30burnout.png

blairsneighbore30
08-25-2015, 05:37 PM
hahaha not because of burnouts, been taking good care of her. Turns out it was in part because of a bad driveshaft. Other indications were telling me the driveshaft was bad, so had that replaced and the other sound went away.. Weird but whatever.

After the driveshaft was replaced though, I am noticing after a drive, i'll get home, parallel park and only when I throw it in reverse and only once I apply the brakes I feel/hear a small bump seeming to come from the driveshaft. The E30 Mechanic couldn't get it to replicate.. But he said it could just be once it warms up it has some wiggle room bc it's an old car. Sounds like ******** to me. Any help would be great.

thanks!
Blair

632 Regal
12-12-2015, 05:33 PM
Replies are blazing fast!!

If the driveshaft was worn you can count on the axle shafts having a bunch of play in them also. I replaced one on my sons 3 and it was nice and snug, the one I took out was totally sloppy. Makes me want to replace the other and pick up 2 more for my E34 along with it's driveshaft.

The E34 has so many vibrations it is impossible to conclude a single issue. Motor mounts/trans mounts, guibo, driveshaft, center bearing, axle shafts all come to mind.