PDA

View Full Version : e34 lighting settings.

Nick.Hay
01-21-2015, 11:41 PM
The previous owner of my Touring replaced it with an E61 Touring.

He was saying about all the options that could be changed by plugging in a coding plug and laptop. Stuff like altering the ride-height in the rear suspension, horn sounding upon remote lock, and also configuring which external lights stay on/flash/and how long for.

This got me thinking about whether the LKM in the E34 is sophisticated enough to allow changes to how the lights function. Specifically, if the park lights can be programmed to turn off with the engine.

My work car and my 240 Volvo both turn their headlights off when the engine is switched off, but I constantly find I leave the E34 with the park lights on. I prefer to drive with the lights on even during the day for safety reasons, but one of these days I'm gonna park that E34 and run the battery flat!! :(

Anybody know??

shogun
01-22-2015, 12:18 AM
Which LKM do you have? LKM-B or LKM-L. With LKM-L you get a warning chime when light is still on and key is out of ignition. At least on my E32 750 with LKM-L and the correct CCM.
There is nothing to program on the LKM, if you want to change something, you have to solder.
LKM pinout is posted here: http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/1175396/

Russell
01-30-2015, 11:39 AM
My 95 e34 built 1/95 chimes when lights are left on and key is out of ignition. I does it once when door is opened or closed.

shogun
01-30-2015, 07:08 PM
Normally the LKM-L and the right CCM has the chime for that, but there are also special CCM in Australia version if you dig in the realoem, maybe there are some special things on the Australia CCM based on regulations. For example my Japanese version CCM does not give a warning for "seat belt on?"

Nick.Hay
01-31-2015, 01:51 AM
My Australian-spec 535i used to chime for lights on. My Touring only prompts "Lights On?" from the cluster.

Being that the Touring is a later model, I'd have imagined it to be the other way around.

whiskychaser
01-31-2015, 06:05 AM
FWIW, you would get a 'bong' on my car if any message appeared in check control - temp below 3C, door open, lights on etc. Even if you had fastened your seat belt before you turned on the ignition, you would actually get 4 bongs and a 'seat belt' warning when you did so.

If it is not a daft question, why do you want your side lights to go out when you turn off the ignition?

Nick.Hay
02-02-2015, 12:46 AM
In the original post.. I have a 240 Volvo and Hyundai Getz (work car), that switch their headlights off when you switch off the ignition. I drive with headlights on all the time, but have been caught a couple of times with the E34, accidentally leaving the lights on.

I guess its just a habit I'll need to form, but I thought if the option was there to have the lights switch off with the ignition, I'd utilise it! :)