PDA

View Full Version : No Dipstick on X3?!$?

Dave M
11-09-2014, 09:15 PM
Our newest vehicle was built in 2003 and I'm aware BMW began removing relics like the oil dipstick, but I wasn't aware they went extinct as early as early as the e83 X3 (M53B30).

I'm working on a friend's 2007 X3 and, among other things, did an oil change today. I went to locate the dipstick prior to filling and got a sinking feeling in my gut when I couldn't locate it. So I went off to google how to determine oil level, which was quite easy via a single button on the cluster, BUT, how reliable is this stuff? Is it sensitive to overfilling?

Just sharing today's learning experience.

Dave

whiskychaser
11-10-2014, 04:19 AM
We have two E46s, my 2000 330i and her 2002 320i. I recently changed the oil and filter on both of them. Filled with exactly the correct amount of oil. Fortunately, they do have a dipstick and that shows the level is spot on. BUT now when you start them up, you get the amber low oil warning light on both of them. Hope the X3 has a better system

Bill R.
11-10-2014, 08:53 PM
Nope, the x3 doesn't have a better system, I still see lots of amber low lights on older and a message on the newer ones when filled up exactly to specs.
The no dipstick system takes me much longer to check the level of oil on the newer cars especially just after a change.

Bill R.
11-10-2014, 08:56 PM
also i love that 50$ a liter transfer case fluid that the all wheel drives use now.

whiskychaser
11-11-2014, 03:40 AM
also i love that 50$ a liter transfer case fluid that the all wheel drives use now.

FWIW, some prices I am facing:

Oil level sensor USD 120
Dealer ATF USD 300 (9 litres)
ATF filter kit USD 150

That is USD 1140 for the two cars - and about what I paid for the E34 when I bought it :-(

Dave M
11-11-2014, 10:03 PM
Nope, the x3 doesn't have a better system, I still see lots of amber low lights on older and a message on the newer ones when filled up exactly to specs.
The no dipstick system takes me much longer to check the level of oil on the newer cars especially just after a change.

How, if at all, can you check for overfill?

Bill R.
11-12-2014, 03:02 PM
I use valvoline maxlife atf on virtually every e46 i work on, it meets the zf and strassbourg specs for both transmissions. They removed the zf approval from the label but i called the valvoline tech line and they said it was suitable to use. Haven't had any problems with any of them including the zf in my 2000 e46 wagon after i replaced one of the drum assy and a couple of solenoids. The maxlife was on sale here for 12.99US at autozone for a gallon. I bought 50 gallons while it was on sale. Most of that is gone now. Use it on honda toyota nissan bmw,subaru,mitsubishi,hyundai, kia. Greatly reduces the number of brands of atf i have to keep around here.

Edit, this was in response to whiskey chasers post

Bill R.
11-12-2014, 03:05 PM
Dave, i keep thinking it will give you a message if your overfill it or will indicate on the scale when checking the level on the dash.

Dave M
11-18-2014, 04:18 PM
Dave, i keep thinking it will give you a message if your overfill it or will indicate on the scale when checking the level on the dash.

Well, it indicates 'full' [ [] [] [] [] ] and tells me OK, so it must be ok ;) Nuff said. I guess.

632 Regal
11-18-2014, 08:10 PM
Well, it indicates 'full' [ [] [] [] [] ] and tells me OK, so it must be ok ;) Nuff said. I guess.

LOL, that's not comforting enough for me to throw away the dipstick. I suppose you need to be very vigilant about the amount you pour back in? Curious, does it have a fill and drain hole like the trans or rear end?

Dave M
11-20-2014, 10:27 PM
LOL, that's not comforting enough for me to throw away the dipstick. I suppose you need to be very vigilant about the amount you pour back in? Curious, does it have a fill and drain hole like the trans or rear end?

Negative. It would be very difficult to access a fill hole as there is a steel plate below the oil and trans pans (they provided ports to access the drain plugs).

93 525 Paul
11-23-2014, 01:56 AM

Yes, the iDrive indicator on the E60 that shows the stacked bars will indicate an overfill situation. Brain surgeon that I am, I "recalled" that it took 10 quarts in the V8 (wrong) and dumped in two 5 quart jugs. Checked the level electronically and it was all red (no green) and had an overfull warning. Then I decided to look in the Bentley Manual (ahem) and learned I had mis-recalled the capacity.
Drained 3, all was well.

The eDipstick is goofy though. Checked it one night, showed two green bars, then on the way to work the next am got the low oil warning. Put ONE quart in it and it had 5 green bars, like I had put a boatload of oil in it. Teensy bit sensitive I think. Not a fan of the eDipstick, I think I'd prefer a traditional one.