PDA

View Full Version : No start. 92 525iT. New to forum.

TKohl
11-06-2014, 11:50 PM
New to this forum. This 92 525iT is dead in my garage. I have only owned car for a month. 188k on it. I have fixed everything except for the tailgate wiring. Then it quit on me. I have no spark or fuel. Replaced CPS, TPS, fuel pump and relay, DME supply relay and fuel filter.

I have been testing the pins in the DME connector and the components. I have tested all the grounds at the DME connector and they all seem to be good. Went to testing power pin outs. From what I can see most seem to be fine except one.

According to the DME M3.1 M50 ETM I should have 5V at pin 59. Is this 5v with the DME connector disconnected and the key on there should be 5v at pin 59? I have nothing. With the DME connected, the TPS disconnected and the key on - I have 5v between pin 1 and 3 at the TPS connector. The TPS must be getting it's voltage thru the DME correct?

I have what is supposedly a good DME red label 402 on it's way. I'm extremely frustrated at this point. I want to drive this car. Someday do a 5 speed swap. Thanks for any and all help. May end up in the shop on Monday if I can't get this figured out.
A trans program error (http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/#) will not keep the car from starting will it? It turns over just fine.

632 Regal
11-07-2014, 02:12 PM
Trans prog wont cause it not to start.

Do you have an immobilizer? Seems to be a common thing... I'll find a couple links.

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php/44670-95-525iT-no-crank-no-start-no-power-windows-sunroof-or-doorlocks

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php/44049-850-no-start?highlight=immobilizer

TKohl
11-08-2014, 05:58 PM
It is my understanding it doesn't have the immobilizer unit. My key has no chip in it or alarm buttons. I replaced the battery today. Killed the old one after all the attempts and recharges. It was probably on it's way out anyway.

TKohl
11-08-2014, 08:26 PM
Compression: 1-192, 2-185, 3-190, 4-185, 5-187, 6-187

632 Regal
11-09-2014, 05:15 PM
Compression: 1-192, 2-185, 3-190, 4-185, 5-187, 6-187

Compression is very good.

I don't know where the alarm/immobilizer is on a touring but on sedans it is under the rear seat. I didn't have the immobilizer key in the 850 or the 530 but they both have the units. When it flakes out you will not get spark or fuel pressure. Some have mentioned you can just unplug the unit and the car goes back to normal.

Read the above links, you have nothing to lose at this point. First link pertains to the E34. The second link is mine (850) where it took like 6 months to eventually cut a little purple wire and it started right up.

TKohl
11-09-2014, 10:59 PM
Read up a little on the immobilizer unit. My car was built in 4/92. I even looked under the dash which is supposedly where it is. Could not find one. I think the EWS1 didn't start till the 93 model year. Correct me if I'm wrong there. I even tried playing with the locks and window closing stuff. I have a couple broken wires in the tailgate hinge area but that only hinders the door looks from locking all the doors but doesn't effect the car starting from what I can read.

shogun
11-10-2014, 04:12 AM
I assume 4/92 has EWS I
520i E34 M20/B20 (129hp) 87-90 0 261 200 172 Bosch Motronic M1.3
525i E34 M20/B25 87-90 0 261 200 173 Bosch Motronic M1.3
525i E34 M20/B25 87-90 0 261 200 524 Bosch Motronic M1.3
525i E34 M50/B25 thru 8/91 0 261 200 405 Bosch Motronic M3.1
525i/iT E34 M50/B25 9/91-1/92 0 261 200 403 Bosch Motronic M3.1
525i/iT E34 M50/B25 2/92-93 0 261 200 402 Bosch Motronic M3.1
525i/iT E34 M50tu/B25 93-12/94 0 261 200 413 Bosch Motronic M3.3.1
525i/iT E34 M50tu/B25 1/95--> 0 261 200 413 Bosch Motronic M3.3.1 w/ EWS-II

Turner mentions:
BMW's EWS Systems
A summary of BMW's immobilizer systems 1987-1999 (covers mostly E36 applications).

OBC Immobilizer, many 87-92 = the OBC and DME are linked. If the OBC code was entered (or the OBC relay failed) power to the DME was stopped (no ignition). Depending on your project and the level of functionality you plan to retain, the OBC and OBC relay may remain in the car and could lead to no-start problems if not wired correctly.

EWS, E36 9/93-12/93 = links the door lock switch to the DME and OBC. If the door was locked with the key (or factory alarm) the car will not start without the doors unlocked with the factory key or entering the code into the OBC. In other words, you can’t smash the window and hot wire the car because the DME has killed the ignition and fuel systems.

EWS-I, E36 1/94-12/94 = same as above but added a starter immobilization relay and transmission position switch.
In either of the above systems the DME is passive. It only receives signals from sensors and modules. So the DME is not as tied into the body electronics as much as EWS-II.

EWS-II, E36 1/95-8/96 = similar to the above but with an electronic key, EWS module (“brain”), and the DME all linked together. The same door lock logic remains. All systems for starting the engine are run through the EWS module (starter relay, starter power, fuel, ignition). The key sends a signal to the EWS module and the module asks for a matching signal from the DME. If the two signals don’t match the EWS module will not start the car. The EWS module also checks for OBC function and transmission park/neutral position.

EWS-III, E36 9/96-8/99 = revised EWS-II system with added clutch position sensor and revised module and wiring

----------------------
Drive Away Protection System (EWS)
Model: EWS I/EWS II/EWS III/EWS III
E31/E34/E36/E38/E39/E46/E52/E53
Production Date: All since 1/94

Drive Away Protection
The first version of Drive Away Protection was installed on production vehicles 9/93 through 12/93.
Purpose of The System
The purpose of the Drive Away Protection system was to reduce vehicle theft as mandated by the European Insurance Commission to combat the high theft rate in European Countries.
This first version of the Drive Away Protection System added a circuit from the General Module to the DME. The added circuit was spliced into the existing code function from the Board Computer (BC) to the DME.The components of the Drive Away Protection System are:
• Door Lock Switch
• General Module
• Board Computer
• DME
System Components
Door Lock Switch
The door lock switch provides a 12V (High) signal to the GM when the vehicle is locked from the outside. The switch also provides a Low signal to the GM when the vehicle is unlocked.
General Module
The GM receives the lock and unlock signals from the door lock switch and signals the DME with a 12V High signal when the vehicle is double locked or with a Low signal when this vehicle is unlocked.
Board Computer
The Board Computer (BC) through its’ code function provides a High signal to the DME to disallow vehicle operation or a Low signal to allow vehicle operation.
DME
The DME looks for a High/Low signal from the BC or GM and dependent on the signal, it will either allow or prevent vehicle operation.

Principle of Operation
When the vehicle is locked from the outside, a High signal is sent to the GM from the door lock switch. The GM receives this High signal and outputs a High signal to the DME. The circuit from the GM is spliced into an existing circuit from the BC to the DME.
A High signal from the GM (or BC) causes the DME to cancel the fuel and spark functions to the engine resulting in a no-start condition. The vehicle must be unlocked with the key or the code function of the BC cancelled for the DME to allow engine operation.

EWS I
EWS I was installed on vehicles beginning production 1/94, replacing the original Drive Away Protection System.
Purpose of the System
The next level of compliancy with the European Insurance Commission required additional changes from the previous system. An additional component was added called the Starter Immobilization Relay. This relay module provides added theft prevention and safety features. At the time of introduction the system was referred to as Electronic Drive Away Protection which in German is Electronische Wegfahrsperre or EWS. The EWS I system consisted of the following components:
• Starter Immobilization Relay
• Door Lock Cylinders and Switch
• General Module
• Board Computer (if equipped)
• Transmission Range Switch
• DME Engine Speed Signal (Beginning 6/94 Production)
• DWA (E31)

System Components
Starter Immobilization Relay
The Starter Immobilization Relay was installed on E31, E34 and E36 vehicles.
It was in the following location:
E36 -In the relay carrier to the left of the steering column.
E31/E34 -In the “A” pillar above the footwell kick panel speaker.
The Starter Immobilization Relay functions as a “Smart Relay”, a relay which receives inputs from various sources looking at the proper combination of input signals before activating a component, in this case the starter. The Starter Immobilization Relay receives input from:
• Ignition Switch • General Module • Board Computer
• Trans Range Switch • DME (>6/94)
And processes output to:
• Starter • DME
Door Lock Cylinders and Switch
The door lock cylinders and switch input a High/Low signal into the GM informing the GM of lock status. The signal is High when the system is in Double Lock.
General Module
The GM receives the High/Low signal from the door lock switch and outputs a High/Low signal to the Starter Immobilization Relay. A High signal indicates the vehicle is in Double Lock.
Board Computer
The Board Computer outputs a High/Low signal to the Starter Immobilization Relay. A High signal indicates the Code function is active.
Transmission Range Switch
The Transmission Range Switch input with automatic transmission equipped vehicles allows the Starter Immobilization Relay to provide a Neutral safety switch function. A High signal from the Trans range switch indicates the transmission is in Park or Neutral. A Low signal indicates the transmission is in a drive gear and will prevent starter operation.
DME
The DME is both an input device (after 6/94) and an output device of the Starter Immobilization Relay.
Input
Starting with production 6/94, the DME “TD” (engine speed) signal was added to the inputs of the Starter Immobilization Relay. This additional input allows the relay to provide a starter protection feature. The internal relay contact (starter operation) opens if the TD signal exceeds 60 Hz which equals the following engine speeds:
• 4 cylinder =1800 RPM
• 6 or 12 cylinder =1200 RPM
• 8 cylinder =900 RPM
The relay contacts will close when the exceeded Hz value drops to 5Hz below the maximum value. This is intended as a safety feature to prevent starter motor activation when the engine is running above these speeds.
Output
The DME receives a High/Low signal from the Starter Immobilization Relay. When the signal is High, the DME does not activate injector or ignition operation.
DWA (E31)
The DWA outputs a High/Low signal to the Starter Immobilization Relay indicating the condition of the alarm system. A High signal indicates the alarm is armed, preventing vehicle starting.
Principle of Operation
The EWS Starter Immobilization Relay receives it’s inputs from the Ignition switch, GM (or DWA), BC, Trans Range Switch and the DME (after 6/94). The relay will prevent engine starting if:
• The vehicle is locked from the outside. The GM receives the High signal from the door lock switch and sends a High signal to the EWS.
• The BC Code function is set.
• A DWA High signal is received. (E31only)
• A Low signal is received from the Trans Range Switch.
• The engine speed signal from the DME exceeds 60Hz. (after 6/94)
The Ignition and injection functions of the DME are disabled and the KL50 start signal to the starter is opened to prevent starter operation.

EWS II
Starting with 1/95 production, all vehicles were equipped with a new EWS system, EWS II.
This change was once again brought about to meet the next level of compliancy with the European Insurance Commission regulations.
Purpose of The System
Changes to the European Insurance Commission regulations made it necessary to introduce a new theft protection system with greater capabilities and a higher level of security.
The EWS II system operates independent of the mechanical key. The mechanical key only makes a request of the vehicle starting system. Verification of the key electronically is required before the starting procedure is initiated. The system features wireless communication between a programmed EEPROM housed in the ignition key and the EWS II control module. A key which is properly coded to the EWS II control module is required before starting operation continues. The EWS II and the DME control modules are synchronized through an Individual Serial Number (ISN). The ISN, stored in the EWS II, must match that of the DME every time the ignition is switched “ON” before engine operation is allowed.
EWS II was installed on E31, E34, E36, E38 and E39 vehicles. Major components of the EWS II system are:
• Key with Transponder
• Ring Antenna
• Transmitter/Receiver Module
• EWS II Control Module
• DME Control Module
System Components
Key with Transponder
Four keys are initially supplied with each vehicle. Each key contains a wireless electronic chip (transponder chip). The function of the transponder is to receive and transmit data to the EWS II control module. The transponder contains a wireless read/write EEPROM in addition to a small capacitor and coil for self power capabilities. The functions of the EEPROM are:
• Store codes for key identification, password and changing codes.
• Receive and respond to coded messages from the EWS II control module.
Power for the transponder is produced through the inductive coil and stored in the capacitor.
Each time the key is inserted into the ignition AC voltage in the antenna ring induces voltage in the inductive coil.
Ring Antenna
The Ring Antenna is an inductive coil installed around the lock cylinder which provides power for the transponder in the key and the communication link (antenna) between the key and the transmit/receive module.
Transmitter/Receiver Module
The Transmitter/Receiver module supplies power to the transponder through the ring antenna and controls the flow of data between the transponder and the EWS II control module.
Data transmission between the transmitter/receiver module and the transponder takes place over a radio frequency of 125 KHz amplitude modulated AM signal.
The transmitter/receiver module converts the analog data received through the AM signal to digital data and transfers it to the EWS II control module over a single wire bi-directional data interface.
EWS II Control Module
The EWS II Control Module is linked to the BC, GM, DME, Trans Range switch and the starter for drive away protection operation. The module incorporates an integral starter relay and stores data and codes for communication with the transponder chip.
The function of the EWS II module is to provide improved drive away protection for the vehicle and it incorporates many features of previous systems:
• Lock out of the starter when the code function of the BC is set.
• Disable injection and ignition through the DME.
• Prevent starter engagement with engine running.
• Recognition of Park/Neutral position with automatic transmission.
New features that have been added:
• Disable injection, ignition and starter operation until a correct key is recognized.
• EWS and DME synchronization through the use of the ISN.
• Release of double lock when a correctly coded key is switched on.
The EWS II control module stores the following data for the key transponder inter-link:
• Key identification code- up to 10 keys.
• Key password.
• Changing code- up to 10 keys.
DME
The DME is redesigned to incorporate the new ISN code. As of production 1/95 all DME control modules will contain the unique ISN number and will not interchange with previous DME’s. The following new features are added to the DME:
• Unique ISN assigned to DME during manufacture, it can not be changed, altered or overwritten.
• The BC code input to the DME is eliminated.
• The DME and EWS II control module must be synchronized. The DME sends the ISN to the EWS II module which stores the number for replay to the DME.
• The ISN received from the EWS II module during start-up is compared to the internal ISN of the DME. The numbers must match before the start operation is allowed to continue.
• The ISN is sent to the DME continuously by the EWS II module with the key on.
• The DME will ignore loss of the ISN after the engine is running.
• The DME retains the ISN information from the EWS II module for 10 seconds after the ignition is switched off.
Restarting or switching the ignition on within the 10 seconds cancels the key identification process.
Principle of Operation
The starting sequence involves communication between all the components of the system. Any break-down in the communication process will result in a no start condition. The sequence of events for vehicle starting is as follows:
• The key is inserted into the lock cylinder and switched “ON”. The transmitter/receiver module is powered through KL R. The transmitter/receiver module sends a 125kHz.
AM signal to the ring antenna. The AM signal induces voltage in the key coil and powers up the transponder.
• Powered up, the key transponder sends the key identification code to the transmitter/receiver module via the 125kHz AM signal (1). The transmitter/receiver module converts the AM signal to a digital signal and sends it to the EWS II control module (2).
• The EWS II control module verifies the key identification code and checks to see if the key is enabled (3).
Upon accepting the key as valid and enabled the EWS II control module sends a digital password (4) to the transmitter/receiver module, which converts the data to an AM signal (5) and sends it to the transponder via the ring antenna (6).
• If the transponder accepts the password as correct the transponder releases the changing code (7) to the transmitter/receiver module which converts this AM signal to digital (8) and sends it to the EWS II module (9).
• If the changing code received by the EWS II module is correct, the status of the BC, transmission range switch and TD is examined. With correct input status the internal starter relay is energized and the starter motor begins to operate (10). At the same
time the EWS II module sends the ISN to the DME via the single wire communication link (11).
• If the ISN code stored in the EWS II module matches that of the DME, the drive away protection is cancelled and injection and ignition is enabled.
• During the process of sending the ISN to the DME, the EWS II module sends a new changing code to the transponder through the transmitter/receiver and ring antenna.

and more here http://www.computersolutions.cn/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/BMW_EWS.pdf

TKohl
11-11-2014, 12:44 AM
Thank you so much for all this info. This is one of the articles I have been reading. I looked under the dash for the immobilizer relay but couldn't see it. And quite possibly there because I was not sure what I was looking for. Doesn't help having bifocals either.

Question is would it work on and off for while and then totally stop? Would it make the car stall at an idle some times and then let it restart immediately? It did this for about a week before it stopped starting completely. Cranks just fine all the time till I killed the battery and replaced it. Cranks / turns over just fine. There is no fuel on the plugs. Still no spark. It is in the shop as of tonight. Praying it's something I have just missed. Need the car badly now because my wife's van is having instrument cluster issues and I have to fix the solder joints on it now.

shogun
11-11-2014, 02:20 AM
I would check the crankshaft position sensor or even better replace it, as it is difficult to test for a DIYer, you just can read the Ohms, but actually one needs an oszi to see the waves. Testing is shown in the shop manual and under nominal values
https://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/main/
Then check the fusible link for haircracks http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/Electrical/Fusible_link.htm

Let us know what the shop finds out with the diagnotic tools.

whiskychaser
11-11-2014, 04:38 AM
The TPS is just a variable resistor. AFIK, the system works on 0-5V. So check the voltage at pin 59 with the throttle wide open. I don't believe this is your problem anyway. What voltage have you got at pin 54? That is the same line from the DME relay which supplies the EGS. If the EGS isn't getting power, you will get 'transprog'. Coincidence? OK, you have a new DME relay. But is it actually making contact with the pins underneath the socket?

BTW. Just because you don't have a chip or alarm buttons on a fob, doesn't mean you don't have an immobiliser.

whiskychaser
11-11-2014, 05:09 AM
PS. Check you also have voltage at pin 56

TKohl
11-11-2014, 08:33 PM
Turns out I was not getting voltage from the CPS. Rechecking came to find the CPS was not totally pushed in at the connector. It looked like it was . My bad but it is alive again. Thank you all for all your help. The original problem was the CPS with a side of TPS. Amen.

632 Regal
11-11-2014, 11:00 PM
Turns out I was not getting voltage from the CPS. Rechecking came to find the CPS was not totally pushed in at the connector. It looked like it was . My bad but it is alive again. Thank you all for all your help. The original problem was the CPS with a side of TPS. Amen.

I am glad it was figured out. Sometimes stupid **** is the cause and I shelter on not saying something not connected right. I assume it had been instead of making light of the poster.

Again glad it was an easy fix.