PDA

View Full Version : OT, something i hadn't run into before on newer Odyssey,Pilot and v6 accord.

Bill R.
10-31-2014, 02:51 PM
Had a new customer just moved out from Texas, a 79k mile odyssey touring with cylinder management (shuts off 3 cylinders while cruising no load) Had just been serviced at the dealer before coming out here, Customer had noticed a ticking sound for a long time and thought it was normal.
Out here a month or so later, check engine light starts flashing and message on the dash pops up. I tell them not to drive it and go look at it, scan it and its cylinder #5 misfire. I think no problem, its a bad coil or sparkplug,order a coil
and plug, Bearing in mind that this is a 79k mile van and the first plug change is due at 105k miles, so theses have never been touched.

Come back later to replace the coil and plug and cant get the coil out of the spark plug tube, its melted/fused in.3 hours later i get the last of the melted coil out and the spark plug comes out with it, all the threads are melted off and the outside electrode is gone on the plug, Threads in the head are gone and the hole is oval. Turns out that #3 plug is backing out on some ody,pilots and accords, this is the middle plug in front closest to the radiator. I put a camera down in the spark plug hole and didn't see any damage to the piston, valves or cylinder wall.

There wasn't enough material in the head to tap it out for a helicoil, turns out that a time sert was big enough to use,ordered the time sert spark plug kit ,tapped it cleaned it,installed it,put the new coil in and plug and it was fine.
Honda isn't acknowledging this as a problem yet but a few people are getting it fixed under good will.. most aren't and its typically 3200 to $5000 from honda, they say head must be replaced and in some cases a used motor is installed. Just a heads up for any of you that own a 2006 and newer v6 honda, check the spark plug to make sure its tight on the #3 cylinder. It backs out until the coil won't let it move and further and then each time it ignites some of the mixture burns back up , melts everything.

632 Regal
11-01-2014, 03:06 PM
Think it's lack of plug torque? One of mine loosened up and I thought it was a lifter tick, found the loose plug as I was going to do a compression check.

Time sert, first I heard of these.

Bill R.
11-01-2014, 08:09 PM
I told you wrong, its number 5 plug not 3... The only thing that seems possible is lack of torque..someone on the assembly line or a messed up robot. I had seen the time sert bmw head bolt repair kit for the m52/m54 motors when they pull all the threads out of the block but i haven't bought one yet.

MicahO
11-03-2014, 08:25 AM
That's scary. Jen's daily is a '12 Oddy with 45K miles on it already. I'll be checking the plugs this weekend. Thanks for the heads-up Bill! Here I thought the only long-term concern was the transmission that wah-wah-wah's into second and third gear when it's under a decent load.....

Bill R.
11-05-2014, 03:49 PM

Dave M
11-08-2014, 09:05 PM
Oh my. Thanks for the Time Sert idea.

joes_
12-03-2014, 01:11 AM
The exact same thing happened to me on my 2005 Honda Accord 3.0 V6 at 150,00 mi on the second set of plugs. It took me 2 full days to chip out/drill out the coil. Once i got it out , i realized the drill bit had put a hole in the spark plug tube going thru the head. I was about to cry and thinking i was going to need a new head. However, i had a custom stainless steel sleeve fabricated and very very tightly go over the exterior of the spark plug tube. the sleeve works great, no oil leaking in the tube. I have checked it several times. My plug just backed out a little, the threads were still good in the head and the spark plug its self was not roached, but was damaged. I got very lucky.

I can not imagine what a person would do if the coil melted for one of cylinders facing the firewall. You would have to pull the motor completely out of the car to work on it. That would really suck.