PDA

View Full Version : How many years have you been on this forum?

MarkD
10-23-2014, 11:58 AM
I was active here almost 15 years back, but have not visited much in the past 7 years as the activity seemed to die out. Those were the good old days...

So that made me wonder, how long have you been posting here?

Maybe some of you remember me.

MarkD

Rustam
10-23-2014, 08:03 PM
I remember you, Mark.
I cannot answer the poll because I spent a relatively short time on here long time ago, and only recently have gotten back.

MarkD
10-23-2014, 08:56 PM
I remember you, Mark.
I cannot answer the poll because I spent a relatively short time on here long time ago, and only recently have gotten back.

Hi Rustam,

your name is familiar. I will try to drop in here every week or two. You can always post how long ago you were here even if it was not continuous - I am mainly interested in how many old timers are still around.

Mark

shogun
10-24-2014, 09:10 AM
and still active. Still have my old E32 750iL from 11/88 and since some years an E36 M3 1998, plus....

MicahO
10-24-2014, 09:16 AM
Hi Mark!cheers

You know me. I started with this Funky Bunch back in the RoadFlea days. After the bimmernut move I took a loooong sabbatical when I swapped the e34s for an e46. Then I added an e28.

And now I've added another e34....So I'm more 'around' now, lurking, remembering a lot of stuff I forgot.

:)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-jWgTMK7WojI/U4EAkQ81RbI/AAAAAAAADto/dYxjDeqQd_g/s400/20140524_073725.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-atEuKpozfYk/VCVccyPr9ZI/AAAAAAAAD_U/C0QqYxxrLyo/s400/20140925_184011.jpg

MarkD
10-24-2014, 09:46 AM
Hi Micah,

and you are one person I have still heard from via email over the years. You asked me recently about a chip for the 92 M5T, are you aware I also have a great chip for the 88 M5? A few people in NYC have them. That 88 M5 looks great!

MarkD

Bill R.
10-24-2014, 10:22 PM
Hi Micah, ya had to buy the first one huh? I remember seeing it on jalopnik and on ebay in the past.:)

BigKriss
10-25-2014, 07:49 AM
Hi. I am still on here and check it out on occasion :)

califblue
10-27-2014, 10:51 AM
Mark..your Chips Still Rocks my 92' E34

MarkD
10-27-2014, 11:58 AM
Mark..your Chips Still Rocks my 92' E34

That's good to hear! I first introduced the E34 chips here after working on it for many months. I think some people thought I'd never get it read but I did!

califblue
10-27-2014, 12:27 PM
Mark I beta tested the ones for the 5 speed with rev limiter set 6500 and 6700.

Thanks again

Mike

mattyb
10-29-2014, 05:07 AM
I think it was 2005 then a break then back a couple of years ago, wouldn't miss it for quids even if some say its not the good ol days anymore I still very much enjoy it, the ol timers and the new, hopefully there are more of them to keep it going and regrow the site

bimmer nut
10-29-2014, 07:49 AM
Hi Mark!cheers

You know me. I started with this Funky Bunch back in the RoadFlea days. After the bimmernut move I took a loooong sabbatical when I swapped the e34s for an e46. Then I added an e28.

And now I've added another e34....So I'm more 'around' now, lurking, remembering a lot of stuff I forgot.

:)

Good to hear from you Micah. Glad you're still around.

As well as all the other old timers. I don't have an e34 anymore but have an e36 M3 4door, a Z3, 330 zhp and the e60. Still enjoying my bimmers, and beemer, an old r60. Sold the r1150r. Suppose I need to update my sig.

MicahO
10-29-2014, 03:24 PM
Hi Ed! Like a bad penny, I just keep turning up. ;)

ScottyWM
11-24-2014, 03:53 PM
Yeah Mark, I bought your chip too. I forgot to talk up that option when I sold the car. But I still check in here occasionally. Good bunch of people here... mostly. :) I remember the outcry when the layout of the forum was upgraded. And I won a hat from Bimmer ED! Only BMW I have now is a E46 that my daughter drives. And I spend most of my time on the MGExperience forum for my old MGB.

Mr._Graybeard
11-24-2014, 08:05 PM
I still look in once in awhile. Got my username from an E34 meet in Chicago in what, 2006? I won a nice gift cert there from BMA for having the "most original" E34, edging out a pristine M5. The driver seemed a little put out.

scott540
11-24-2014, 08:29 PM
I still check out the board once in a great while. Started with the roadfly board in 1999 when I got my 95 540. Sold it in 6/09. Went without one until last week when we got an 08 550 with 34,000 miles.

genphreak
11-26-2014, 12:00 AM
I was active here almost 15 years back, but have not visited much in the past 7 years as the activity seemed to die out. Those were the good old days...

So that made me wonder, how long have you been posting here?

Maybe some of you remember me.

MarkD

Good on ya Mark, for this post- but mostly for all the great work you've done over the years giving the world such great running e34s, (I'll never forget putting one of your chips in my first M30B35), which I still have and itch to drive...

Had to look at my profile to see how long I've been 'onboard'- its nine years 11 months a member, but I had a profile that got wiped prior to that, so notched myself on your 'totem poll' at 10 years+

Best damn 10 years driving cars ever. Been having fun re-vitalising a MkIII Golf for my gf's friend, it's now running really well and has loads of comfort features that are somewhat similar to a BMW, but the quality of the controls/interior and the chassis remind immediately remind me why being a true blue (and white) propeller-head and accepting one's baby's 'Share of Wallet' is so much fun.

I hope you're having a ball over there in Canada, it's sure getting hot down here, the bush-fire season is to come soon and will no doubt be worse than the last. There'll be little left of this country soon that hasn't been mined, poisoned or burned.

ryan roopnarine
12-10-2014, 11:14 PM
This poll is so strange; the leading answer in the poll is over 10 years, but you hardly hear from the folks who've been on here the longest.

I think I registered on this board right before Ed finally shut down the old "thread" based bulletin board in either January or February 2004. IIRC I started posting on the old board in January 2003. You were kind enough to offer a raffle entry towards a free EAT chip to every user that joined the new board (which I somehow managed to win despite my terrible luck otherwise). Thanks again. The chip is still installed, though the car needs some TLC.

Paul in NZ
12-19-2014, 01:20 AM
i joined in 2003

Paul in NZ
12-19-2014, 02:36 AM
i joined in 2003

cant edit my former post.I would never had bought the 535 if it wasnt for the knowledge,good humour ,and willingness to share on this board.

Dave M
12-19-2014, 08:21 PM
This poll is so strange; the leading answer in the poll is over 10 years, but you hardly hear from the folks who've been on here the longest.

I think I registered on this board right before Ed finally shut down the old "thread" based bulletin board in either January or February 2004. IIRC I started posting on the old board in January 2003. You were kind enough to offer a raffle entry towards a free EAT chip to every user that joined the new board (which I somehow managed to win despite my terrible luck otherwise). Thanks again. The chip is still installed, though the car needs some TLC.

Hey Ryan. While we don't visit like we used to, unlike newer members, you and I were both drawn to vote for 'sentimental' reasons. I would guess that, like me, you check in every now and then, looking for something that interests you. I love my e34, but it doesn't really need much and I no longer need help with most routine maintenance. Needless to say, as these cars age, there will be fewer of them and fewer of us......

Anyhow, I'd like to thank you again for your help years ago. You sent me a number of parts to help me diagnose an issue and I won't forget it. I hope you're doing well and continue to find time to visit the site! If you're ver back in Canada, driving though Thunder Bay, let me know :D

Dave M

93 525 Paul
12-22-2014, 12:11 AM
My profile says 10 years, but I lurked a fair bit before that. Before I discovered this site, I had a lame repair manual and bought all my parts at bavauto. Shortly after I got on here and bought a Bently manual I had a fuel pump failure. Checked on here and found autohausaz.com and saved $100 on that first purchase vs bavauto.
Have done a ton of work on the E34 and all of it has been made easier by the fellas on here.
Particularly the engine overhaul.
Great help, no BS, no baloney attitude. Good dudes, great help.

Javier
12-23-2014, 08:21 PM
Voted more than 10 following MarkD advice, though have been absent since 2007. It is a bit selfish having abandoned the forum for such a long time, considering the lot of information and help I have received here. Still recognize some names and the good guys behind them. I keep my 1992 535i. The head gasket finally said: No more overheating! So right now I have the head out of the car waiting for the shop to resume from Christmas vacation to clean, resurface and do valve seals (hopping it is not worse that it seems to me). This issue has me back to the forum looking for hints and suggestions, and made me notice what I have been missing. Things down her (remember I'm in Venezuela) are worse than it were back in 2007. It's a bit depressing and does not help to be in shape to dedicate much time to relaxing activities like the forum.

Hope some of you guys still remember me!
Javier

Dave M
12-25-2014, 11:40 PM
Javier, sorry to hear he e34 need s some attention. I'm curious, what is the economic driver in Venezuela and how has the 'downturn' it affected you? I'm in Canada and when the US farts, we hear it ;)

Javier
12-26-2014, 09:01 AM
Hi Dave Venezuela is no longer what it used to be. We are an oil producing country that have been ruled since 1999 by comunists in a less than perfect democratic way, so we lost almost all industry and farming production. When oil was over $100 it was enough to import every thing plus feeding abundantly the pockets of the government oficers (priorities are all the way around), now, below $60 we are almost starving. No imports possible, no local production.

RobPatt
02-17-2015, 11:00 PM
Mark.... your chip (413 I think is what I have) rocks... installed it a long time ago... and was on earlier board as 'wobesan'... but when everyone was starting to use their real names I asked Ed to change my userid... so he did. THanks Ed! Been idle on the forum last 5 years since the car was just sitting... now she's (car) back on the street and I'm back on the board....

however, after the vanos rattle repair... i seem to have got coolant in my oil somehow... head is off now... ah, the adventures.

but even still... to get a comparable car is $30K today I'd guess.. and this one I have "invested" time and education into... I 'know' this car... it's just nuts and bolts and vavles, etc... if I have the time,... i can figure out how to keep it running... thanks to all of YOU on the board!

DaCan23
02-26-2015, 10:04 AM
Since it was first created after we jumped ship from Roadfly. Sold the E34 3 years ago, but perhaps getting another one soon.

RockJock
02-28-2015, 08:47 PM
~11 years, still by far my favorite E34 forum. I still love driving these cars as much as I did the day I first drove one.

John B.
03-11-2015, 05:44 PM
Join date listed in my profile is 2-10-2004 so I'll go with that. Still have the same 1990 535i 5 speed.

bahnstormer
03-11-2015, 10:07 PM
I remeber some of you old guys!!!

Join Date 12-23-2003

it's been forever since i logged here!

my 91 535i was sold for a 08 Mazdaspeed 3 ... which I sold for a '13 Mustang GT.... which I sold for a 07 Civic Si.

and I have three motos.

Elekta
03-12-2015, 02:46 PM