PDA

View Full Version : M50 Radiator Removal

BlackOnBlack
10-01-2014, 09:06 PM
Sorry all in advance. I searched the forum but couldn't find what I was looking for.
I need to replace my radiator.
The other parts: water pump, thermostat, belts and hoses are fine.
Bentley says to remove the fan.
I removed the shroud and took a good look all around. I'm pretty sure there's enough room to R/R the radiator without removing the fan.
Any advice ?
Thanks.
oh, manual transmisison...

ryan roopnarine
10-01-2014, 10:36 PM
It'll come out fine without removing the fan. All you have to do is move the shroud back and support it so that it doesn't hang off of the fan blades.
Does it come with a new cap? If not, I'd get one.
Since you don't have an A/T, there's no need to have atf around to correct the amount that will spill out.
Good luck.

mattyb
10-02-2014, 08:15 AM
second that, same for M60, no touchy fan ok, took less than 15 minutes. take care with the clips that hold shroud to radiator If same as M60 busted them as brittle with age and had to use cable tie

BlackOnBlack
10-02-2014, 12:21 PM
Thanks guys. I have it on order and will replace it on the weekend. I replaced the cap last year after I crushed the old one when the hood came down :(
I'll pay attention to the shroud clips too.

632 Regal
10-02-2014, 09:25 PM
Thanks guys. I have it on order and will replace it on the weekend. I replaced the cap last year after I crushed the old one when the hood came down :(
I'll pay attention to the shroud clips too.

While your at it, standard maintenance includes the belts, hoses, thermostat and waterpump. Not that expensive and you should not have probs at all for another 100K.

You said they were good, but are they original or replaced? When I get a new car I redo everything so that I dont have issues, never have since I started using the maintenance program. Before that I was a GM guy that fixed stuff on the side of the road in traffic when it broke. I like the new plan better.

Look into maintenance tho, flush and fill radiator, brake fluid, etc Cheap stuff compared to a tow or garage to fix dumb shyt.

BlackOnBlack
10-10-2014, 08:54 AM
All good advice Regal. I did the belts myself about 6 months ago and the hoses. thermo and water pump were done @ 2 years ago when my mechanic replaced the water pump. I check it all again when I get a closer look this weekend.
Thanks.

632 Regal
10-10-2014, 09:27 PM
Also periodically check your idler pulleys for the belts, sometimes overlooked. not sure if that's a maintenance deal but good to check when you have a few minutes.