PDA

View Full Version : Bilstein front shocks in 1992 525i Sport

Unregistered
06-20-2004, 07:33 PM
Hi, my front shocks need replaced (the car feels like a boat and rattles etc) and I am unsure what brand to replace them with. I have checked with a local dealer and the car has mtech suspension. Since I am going to the expence of having the shocks replaced I am hoping for a bit of an upgrade. I live in Northern Ireland. My local BMW dealer can supply stock shocks for about £100 each, my local branch of eurocarparts can supply Bilstein P36 sport shocks for £102 each, I presume the bilsteins are better? The car has standard 15" alloys and looks as if it sits quite high, should I also change my front springs? I may replace the rear sometime in the future. Also I have read about top collar pads?

Any advice would be brilliant

Thanks
Andrew Savage

George M
06-20-2004, 08:14 PM
Hi Andrew...
Bilsteins are stiff...so your call...depending on the roads...if billiard table smooth you are fine :-) I have Boge with M-technic springs and love the set up. I never recommend Bilsteins on these cars unless you track the car...and I don't recommend tracking an E-34 anyway...lol. Consider stiffer sway bars if you want a tauter suspension without ride penalty.
As to spring height...you shouldn't be too tall in front if you do indeed have M-technic springs...they are a bit shorter than the standard springs out there. As to the upper spring pads...the E-34 comes with a 9mm upper spring pad. Using the 3mm upper pad with give you a drop of 6mm. I have the 3mm upper pads on my E-32 which use a stock upper pad thickness of 10mm for a net drop of 7mm or close to 1/4 inch.
I notice no ride penalty or increased NVH at all with the 3mm upper pads.
Cheers to Ireland from Detroit, Michigan USA
George

525Sport-UK
06-21-2004, 06:08 AM
I have a Bilstein Suspension Kit on my 91 525 Sport and i don't find the ride to be that firm ? It has lowered the car around 40mm from the M-tech ride height :) I would recommend changing all of the spring pads when you replace the shocks, the whole set (fronts+rears) cost me around £50 from my local BMW dealer.

Miles

Hi, my front shocks need replaced (the car feels like a boat and rattles etc) and I am unsure what brand to replace them with. I have checked with a local dealer and the car has mtech suspension. Since I am going to the expence of having the shocks replaced I am hoping for a bit of an upgrade. I live in Northern Ireland. My local BMW dealer can supply stock shocks for about £100 each, my local branch of eurocarparts can supply Bilstein P36 sport shocks for £102 each, I presume the bilsteins are better? The car has standard 15" alloys and looks as if it sits quite high, should I also change my front springs? I may replace the rear sometime in the future. Also I have read about top collar pads?

Any advice would be brilliant

Thanks
Andrew Savage

Sav
07-07-2004, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the info, I think I will go ahead with the Bilstein's and spring pads

Thanos
07-07-2004, 04:28 PM
Hi George,

Are you referring to reg Bilsteins, or to those and touring Bilsteins as well?

My car's prior owner (minimal changes) put Bilstein touring shocks on, and these seem great to me, certainly not too rough...

Thanos

AllanS
07-07-2004, 04:36 PM
I have the same setup as you do on your 525i, and compared to stock, it's a helluva lot stiffer. Guest, you WILL notice a difference, but whether or not you'll LIKE this difference, is up to you. I did, at least.

Be forewarned!

525Sport-UK
07-07-2004, 05:26 PM
It's really not that much stiffer than the Factory M-tech suspension ? I noticed the biggest difference going from 17" to 19" wheels :)

Miles

I have the same setup as you do on your 525i, and compared to stock, it's a helluva lot stiffer. Guest, you WILL notice a difference, but whether or not you'll LIKE this difference, is up to you. I did, at least.

Be forewarned!

glen-sj
07-07-2004, 06:19 PM
Hi Andrew,

I also have a 92 525ia with mtech suspension and 15" wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RE950 205/65. I just replaced all four shocks in Jan with Bilstein Heavy Duty shocks and kept the original springs, the car only has 85K miles. The ride is close to what it was off the show room. I like it, firm but not rough. Could not tell any difference in the height.

glen-sj

AllanS
07-07-2004, 10:56 PM
I had the stock Boge struts with MTech springs (and 17" wheels) originally, and then went over to the Bilsteins... I'm not sure if the stock MTech suspension package had different struts or not, so you may be right.