PDA

View Full Version : Replacing only 1 shock absorber or per axle?

shogun
08-18-2014, 10:28 AM
It is often mentioned/recommended that always both shocks should be replaced. BMW says, not necessary:

Service information 31 01 95 (006) Date 11/1995 Update: 11/2001 Update: 03/2006

All series

Situation: If a shock absorber is defective on one side of the vehicle (leaking, noises, limit violation during shock test), both shock absorbers on the axle concerned are frequently replaced

Effect: There is no technical necessity for this, meaning the manufacturer will refuse to recognise as a damaged part the shock absorber that did not need replacing. For the customer,unnecessarily high costs can be avoided by replacing only the shock absorber on the one side.

Affected vehicles: All series

Procedure: On the above model series, the following points should be noted when replacing a shock absorber:
1. Up to a mileage of 50,000 km, shock absorbers should be replace on one side only.

2. On vehicles with level control, a slight oil seepage is usually present on the piston rod of the rear shock absorbers. These spring struts may have an oil coating at most over half the length of the outer tube of the shock absorber, i.e. they may "sweat".

Exception: Both shock absorbers should always be replaced on all models built by M-GmbH, even if only one of the shock absorbers exceeds the tolerance levels.

Source: http://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/5_series_e34/530i_m60-1_sal/1_service_information/31__front_axle/1_si__replacing_shock_absorber_all_series/

whiskychaser
08-18-2014, 12:05 PM
'the manufacturer will refuse to recognise as a damaged part the shock absorber that did not need replacing' is probably the crux of the matter. Would I replace only one side? No. Call me old fashioned. Call me extravagant. But if one has gone, the other is bound to follow soon :-) Might as well do it while to tools are out

John B.
08-20-2014, 09:30 AM
Depends on the mileage. I've had a Boge Turbo Gas rear shock fail after being on the car for only a couple years. Replaced it in warranty & the other rear shock is still doing find a number of years later.