PDA

View Full Version : Serpentine belt bearings, are dust covers important?

genphreak
07-05-2014, 06:51 PM
Hello all,

Several times now when replacing fan belt bearings (item 3 and 6 below), I've found that OEM 'replacement' bearings are not designed to accept the factory dust covers.

Out of 4 or so new ones I order there is invariably one. The e36 I did yesterday was no exception.

I'm not sure if they are well enough sealed if left bare in such a dusty location.

What is your experience?

- Is there a way to buy aftermarket bearings machined to take dust-covers? I.e. like buying from a certain manufacturer or supplier?

Cheers, Nick

Bill R.
07-07-2014, 01:22 PM
I don't know if its as dusty where you're at as here in the desert but if i don't use the dust cover they die in less than a year. If i don't use the O.E. pully not the oem they die in less than a year. I no longer buy anything but o.e. on the idler and tensioner pulley bearings and always use the dust cover. I realize that they are sealed bearing but the dust gets in anyway and the dust cover helps alot.

genphreak
07-09-2014, 03:54 AM
I don't know if its as dusty where you're at as here in the desert but if i don't use the dust cover they die in less than a year. If i don't use the O.E. pully not the oem they die in less than a year. I no longer buy anything but o.e. on the idler and tensioner pulley bearings and always use the dust cover. I realize that they are sealed bearing but the dust gets in anyway and the dust cover helps alot. Thanks a lot for clarifying Bill, it's good to hear I'm not a phreak after all!

I've never read this before, but form now on, I'll buy OE too.

... assumption is the mother of all insanities