PDA

View Full Version : E34 rhd bonnet (hood) release bowden cable

Airborneduck
06-28-2014, 05:31 AM
This Bowden cable (part no. 51231938159) for a RHD E34 bonnet release is discontinued and is unavailable for purchase in the UK. Does anyone know where I can get a new replacement? I've tried a Google search without luck.
If new replacements are not available anywhere, can anyone advise how to replace the inner wire or repair it?
Thanks!
Vaughan

shogun
06-28-2014, 08:26 AM
There must be a subsitute for 51231938159. That part was discontinued already in 1993, but it was used in all E34 with RHD and also in all RHD E32, excluding the E32 750.
Ask the dealer to check in the ETK what the part number for the subsitute is.

whiskychaser
06-28-2014, 10:37 AM
Go to http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/ and join. You may well find someone who is breaking one or has the part. If no joy, click on the forum sponsors, Cotswolds BMW. Give them a ring or email them. They are very knowledgeable, helpful, and will post parts to you. You also get a discount for being a forum member.

genphreak
06-29-2014, 07:06 AM
@ABD

I've got one I can Airmail you form Australia. You bloody poms made us RHD ever since Captain Blight drove down his plank in a horse-drawn Austin...

You can PayPal me 20GBP to cover the cost of removal and P&P. It'd take a week or so to get to you.

whiskychaser
06-29-2014, 08:47 AM
@ABD

You bloody poms made us RHD ever since Captain Blight drove down his plank in a horse-drawn Austin...

I thought it was Captain Cook?

Anyway, rest of the world only drives on the right as Napoleon told them they had to. Whereas we kicked his arse rotfl

Airborneduck
06-30-2014, 05:02 AM
Thanks genphreak, I'll take you up on your kind offer. What's your Paypal address?

BTW, I'm not a Pom - I'm Welsh and we feel the same way as you do!

I've been told that the part is obsolete and no longer available by the Cotswold Group - thanks whiskychaser for the tip though. And there is no substitute part number.

genphreak
07-10-2014, 03:19 AM
Hi V,

Posted today, by Airmail...

:-) Nick

shogun
05-01-2016, 08:17 AM
Coming back to this old subject. I just fixed for my neighbor the hood of his old Suzuki with a selfmade bowden cable very easy for small money. Just go into a bycicle or motorbike shop, they have the bowden cable by the meter and also various end stops/clamps. That bowden cable will now last longer than the rest of the old car.