PDA

View Full Version : Radio dead after telephone removal / OBC PPPP Code

632 Regal
04-16-2014, 08:05 PM
Somehow this didn't look professional so I cut 2 antenna cables, a ground and some black wire running to the back window. Besides there was no phone. Now the radio don't work, no clue what to think.

Edit: One cable was already cut so there was 3 cables total a ground and black wire to the rear window antenna that sticks through to the outside.

Any help appreciated.

632 Regal
04-16-2014, 09:00 PM
After searching a bit I think I am fubarred. The cable going towards the radio probably controls the silent mode. But how if only ...

Ahahh! A whole rainbow of problems!

Now what?

632 Regal
04-27-2014, 07:51 PM
OBC PPPP after disconnecting the battery, and I thought this would fix the radio?

Since there was no love I cut out about another 5 lbs of wiring, at this point not too much to lose. Started pulling the center console to get to more wiring but I kinda backed off chopping everything and took another internet breather for a cure.

I accidentally stumbled onto the radio fix after spending countless hours of searching online and trying different things. None of the fixes worked for either the radio or OBC, and then I saw something that just was not right... Anyways after entering the radio code the OBC went back into normal mode like nothing ever happened. Of course I have to reset the OBC and radio stations (not sure why those defaulted) but that is a small price to pay.

I wish someone would have posted the fix but it just is not out there. rotfl I still can't believe I figured this crap out.

genphreak
04-28-2014, 11:46 AM
Jeff its a weird one for sure.

Only just read it as I'm in China atm, but my (probably) worthless guess is that a short during the removal process caused the radio to get some current flow through its 'always hot' circuit the wrong way. This would trigger the code error and no damage so long as the current was small and lasted a short duration.

THe OBC is on the same always hot circuit- but would not work at all if the circuit was dead.

Perhaps it got the positive 12V though the ground too, and has reset a bit like the radio might have.

Thanks for sharing though- all info is useful with electrics on these cars.

632 Regal
02-05-2018, 04:26 PM
Same thing again, anti theft light flashing but no radio sound or pixels etc. Going to disconnect the battery and hopefully I get lucky once more...

No deal on reset, fuse 18 getting power and cd changer getting power. Worked when I shut it off and not when I restarted. I hate mystery gremlins.

632 Regal
02-06-2018, 01:35 PM
Read a few people turning ignition to position 1 for an hour or so and then entering code... What do I have to lose right?

Fail... To be continued.

632 Regal
02-08-2018, 01:14 PM
Well lookie here! Think I will pull the radio out and check this...

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrade/Data/Stereo/subwoofer_amp.jpg

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrade/Data/Stereo/subwoofer_amp.jpg

632 Regal
02-08-2018, 08:18 PM
Anyone see what I see?

genphreak
02-10-2018, 10:12 PM
Check what, the amp? See what? Image is like 200px wide, at that res, I could miss an elephant...

632 Regal
02-10-2018, 10:17 PM
Check what, the amp? See what? Image is like 200px wide, at that res, I could miss an elephant...

Looks to me like a red thing between those connectors. Sorry that is the only image for a e34 radio I found. Been scouring forever and saw that and wham! I got to check that thing.

632 Regal
02-22-2018, 08:18 PM
Well my radio is different, does have a fuse was good but replaced anyways. No love. Treated all connections with stabilant 22A, put it all together and nothing. New thing is the radio theft light don't flash. Checked and changed the radio fuse even tho it checked out fine. Someone was definitely in here, sticker said something about some radio place, didn't take pictures tho.

Have to figure out what program actually works to decode radios since I have the one from the 540 sitting in the driveway.

632 Regal
03-04-2018, 04:48 AM
Swapped the radios and now I get a code message. Double checked the old radio and still dead so at least I am sure. Now to get a code without paying a bunch, will try calling the dealer this week and see if this actually is real.

632 Regal
03-05-2018, 03:21 PM
Called the dealer just now and got a code and it worked! 21111

632 Regal
03-05-2018, 06:01 PM
Wow! The reception issue I always had with this car is now resolved. Used to be 4 stations that would tune in on a scan, now there are dozens. The old radio also had no stickers except from some repair place back in 2003. Overall this has been a great improvement project.

Also this was the first time I removed a radio in the E34, couldn't have been simpler to swap them out. Always thought there was some elusive slider thing that was tricky, don't know why I thought that. Just 2 little torx bits and it slides right out. Didn't have such a small bit so I used a tiny screwdriver.

genphreak
03-20-2018, 10:40 PM
... don't know why I thought that. Just 2 little torx bits and it slides right out. Didn't have such a small bit so I used a tiny screwdriver.

The radio mount is well done. The connector can get very hard to detach, if noone has done it for a while.

Generally it's just the little things in the e34 dash are what require prior reading :-)

The cause of the reception issue is either the antenna connector, cable or amplifier or the 'FM front end' (a shielded circuit board inside the radio itself- they tend to go bad over time in all FM radios- components just die out and they stop receiving properly)

Cooking with tunes again tho, Jeff- good stuff

I'm gonna do the gaskets in mine, it outputs smells under the hood when cold and must have a huge air leak, unless someone punched the cats through. It goes real hard when warmed up (Cold works fine too, but I don't really know, never push it. It sure does backfire into the intake when engine braking, So she needs some love before copping any abuse)