PDA

View Full Version : 1996 E34 520i auto starting problem

pugh2
04-08-2014, 02:09 AM
Hi ya all , here's the on going saga of my early '96 E34 520i starting problem .Drove back from work ,she ran fine ,parked up , had a cuppa ,when i came to start her ( 1/2 hr later) nothing ,all the lights on the dash just wouldn't turn over ,got a jump start ,fired first time ,ran it for a time and drove it back onto the drive ,switched her off ,tryed to start again same thing just wouldn't turn , got a new battery, same problem ,all the lights come on the dash but wont turn over, changed inhibitor switch/neutral safety switch , still got the same problem ,is there a way to test the starter motor without removing it ? and has anybody got any pictures of how to do this ? this is driving me mad heeelp bashbash

shogun
04-08-2014, 08:35 AM
I would check the fusible links, most probably haircracks http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/Electrical/Fusible_link.htm

632 Regal
04-11-2014, 04:29 AM
And check the grounds in the engine compartment. Might look okay but loosen and retighten after confirming no corrosion.

whiskychaser
04-11-2014, 12:28 PM
If you are bold enough, the fastest way to check the starter circuit is with a screwdriver. You just short across the two large terminals on the solenoid. Some of us remember when there was a button on the solenoid for this exact purpose so dont dismiss this as a crazy idea. If you have already checked the fusible link and the engine does not turn over, you have a bad solenoid, starter or ground.
To check the low power section, you can use a DMM. A simple bulb and and two wires is even better if you are working on your own. Connect one wire to ground and the other to the small terminal on the starter. If the bulb lights when you turn the key, the low power section is fine. If it doesnt, you have a problem somewhere between the ignition switch and the starter. Autos have a starter relay but I think this is be incorporated in the immobiliser unit on later models. Maybe check that out on realoem
HTH