PDA

View Full Version : OBC Codes 1222 & 1223

blues540
06-20-2004, 11:07 AM
EDIT: Correction!!! Codes are 1222 and 1213....Doh!

Howdy!

My car ('95 540ia) was running rough and stumbling on accelleration a few weeks back so I pulled the code. It was a 1223. I started with the air cleaner and found it was full of cat hair!! I can't kill the wife's cats (they stay in the garage at night) so I replaced the air cleaner and everything was fine until Friday. I pulled on to a highway and punched it and the check engine light came on and stayed on......I went into limp mode and about 2 miles down the road the light cleared and I made it home. As I pulled into the drive it came on again. I pulled the code and got a 1222. I did the "carb cleaner" vacuum leak test and detected no leaks. After starting it a few more times the check engine light cleared and she seems fine. She idles a bit (a very little bit) rough but I expect that with 150k on the clock. I pulled the plugs and they are all clean, I tightened the intake manifold and the valve covers. I checked my o-rings on my dipstick and the oil cover gasket and now I'm stumped. After the 1223 I suspected the MAF sensor and checked the readings. I have my 12VDC coming in and on the sensor itself I have from pins 1-2=283K Ohms; 1-3=1445 Ohms; and 1-4=10 Ohms. Are these readings correct? I can't find any info in my Bentley on the readings for the M60 MAF. The check engine light is also off now but I am hesitant to drive the car any distance.

Thanks!!

PS: My idle sits right at 600RPM and does not jump around. I did a search before I posted to see if I could find any info on this particular problem. All of the similar ones seemed to have an idle jump problem.

kuly 540
06-20-2004, 11:57 AM
Check crankcase ventilation plate...worked for me,same as pcv valve@ back of intake manifold.

blues540
06-20-2004, 01:00 PM
Check crankcase ventilation plate...worked for me,same as pcv valve@ back of intake manifold.

I take it that gets replaced like PCV? It was pretty crusty inside and I had a little bit of oil inside the manifold (wow is it nasty/crusty in there!). Is the oil an issue? It was not much - maybe a tablespoon full.

blues540
06-20-2004, 05:44 PM

After I pulled it I decided to clean the crap out so I could drive it tomorrow and get a new one. I was shaking out the chunks and out fell a small piece of plastice I'm assuming was part of the innards. My guess is this is the problem and it was either holding the spring open or closed intermittently. It would run fine for a week or two then flick the check engine light on then go back to normal for a while.

Thanks kuly, I'll let you know if it clears up once I find the part and get it here. I checked a few online sites but they don't seem to have the gasket and cap, just the intake cover. I guess I'll have to make some calls Monday and see if I can get all 3.