PDA

View Full Version : 1995 525iT just quit!

budshaw
02-23-2014, 01:17 PM
Car has been running great till today. Went into a store for 5 mins, came out and started car and within 10 seconds it shut off. When I turn the key it fires very briefly then just cranks and cranks. Checked all fuses. Disconnected, then reconnected the battery. Stomp test was inconclusive but I will try again. Car has new coil packs, O2 sensor, crank position sensor, mass air flow sensor, and recently fixed vacuum leak.
I would appreciate any heads up out there in Bimmerland. Thanks

shogun
02-23-2014, 05:11 PM
Disconnect the fuel hose in engine bay and check if the pump delivers fuel

genphreak
02-24-2014, 04:55 AM
Sounds like you've had some trouble previously too?

Be very careful, I had one that did the same (6/95 525iT) I couldn't get it running for 3 months. All tests were god, I went through everything. Eventually it turned out to be low fuel pressure (pump was running, intermittently at least) and the short 10s run it had somehow killed it...

I would do a fuel pressure test by jumpering the fuel pump relay and seeing if it delivers lots of fuel.

The culprit could be one of many things, but in the' 95 the fuel pumps die in this way and everyone starts blaming EWS or DWA, <12VDC when starting, (battery and/or charge) cam sensors, crank sensors, etc.

If you've not changed the fuel pump, its probably time to do it anyhow (isn't everything?). A particularly lovely job; worth 6 beers as it will take you sometime to get over 'stinking hand' and sore back. If your mates come by they'll be laughing at you breathing fumes , so keep them away- you don't want anyone else around causing a spark.

Notes: Gloves past the elbow are a good idea on this one, and make sure your tank is >20% full. Once replaced, verify the fuel tank seal is not leaking.

budshaw
02-24-2014, 10:15 AM
Disconnect the fuel hose in engine bay and check if the pump delivers fuel

Thanks for the response. Since my post yesterday I've gotten the car running fine again. I held the pedal to the floor, turned the key, and after a few seconds and a few coughs it started . The trans prog. message appeared but it did not limp. After I shut it off and restarted, the message was gone and the car continues to be the great running 525i that it's been. Have you heard of a case such as this? Do I need to check something? What may have caused this and will it keep happening?
Again, thanks for your help.
budshaw

budshaw
02-24-2014, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the response. I got the car running and all seems fine. After holding the pedal to the floor it started. Trans prog came on but it did not limp. Drove it home, shut it off, restarted and message is gone. Any ideas what caused this glitch and should I check something so it hopefully doesn't reoccur?
Again, thanks for your help.

budshaw

632 Regal
02-25-2014, 01:59 AM
My 530 did this several times all without reason. After sitting various lenghts of time it just plain got flooded to the point of washing out the rings so no compression on several at a time. Holding the peddle to the floor shuts the fuel pump off giving the engine a chance to dry the plugs and fire. There was no reason and no fix in my situation. I could guess that the injectors leaked fuel into the cylinders but on 6 or 7 of 8 cylinders seems quite remote.

genphreak
03-02-2014, 05:29 PM
I've seen it before a couple of times too. Flooding would be caused by short runs (Eg. reversing down a driveway and shutting it down immediately), dirty injectors and plugs.

billb
03-21-2014, 02:28 PM
I've had trans prog occur when I disconnected AFM or TPS, or with a really low battery. If you've never changed the fuel pump, it's time to.