PDA

View Full Version : Advice/Opinions needed

ScottyWM
02-21-2014, 01:03 PM
So, after 16 years of ownership I sold my E34 wagon a year ago and bought a 2011 TSX sport wagon. I've been pretty much disappointed ever since. Sure I've had zero maintenance costs, but to even think this is close to a 'luxury' car is ridiculous. The best thing about it is the nav & audio system, which are really nice. And the MPG's are good (right about 30 mpg mixed driving).

But I find myself longing for a better driving car... found this '06 530xiT (http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=137074637&listingRecNum=3&criteria=feedSegId%3D28705%26rpp%3D50%26isDealerGr ouping%3Dfalse%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26requestorTracking Info%3DRTB_SEARCH%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26sf2Dir%3DASC%2 6stkTypId%3D28881%26PMmt%3D1-11-0%26rn%3D0%26zc%3D27539%26rd%3D75%26crSrtFlds%3Dst kTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId%26bsId%3D20216%26mdId%3D20470%26mdId%3D20496% 26mdId%3D20498%26mdId%3D20500%26mdId%3D36963%26mdI d%3D54811%26mdId%3D20502%26mdId%3D20481%26mdId%3D2 0487%26mdId%3D35050%26mdId%3D21396%26stkTyp%3DU%26 mkId%3D20005%26alMdId%3D26662%26sf1Dir%3DDESC&aff=national&listType=1) I need to go look at.

From the Carfax it sounds like it was a dealer loaner car here in NC and was regularly serviced by the dealer. It was never privately registered. 89k miles is a bit higher than I'd like, but with this service record it should be safe. And I had 245k miles on my wagon I sold, so there should be a lot of life left in this one.

So, any opinions or advice on this? Any know problems, flaws, expensive stuff? And anyone want to buy a like-new 2011 TSX wagon?

myles
02-21-2014, 05:43 PM
Hello

About 6 months ago we bought a 2006 530it. It has similar KM's on the clock and was a similar price. In my part of the world it was almost 50% cheaper than the asking price of others at the same time.

The e61 is the family car and I've still got my E34 as my daily drive.

I love driving it and the work required to get it up to scratch wasn't anything that I couldn't handle myself.

The E61s continue the tradition of BMW wagons having problems with the wiring harness at the tailgate hinge. I've completely replaced all of the wires inside the loom at that point with silicone insulated wires. There is quite a bit of info on the web about this and you can buy complete kits to replace the wires. It took quite a while, but hopefully it won't need any attention again.

The other e61 specific issue that I've found is the panoramic sunroof drains at the rear get blocked and the water overflows into the cabin. BMW produced updated drain pipes with better drain valves on the end. I've fitted the new drain pipes, but also removed the valves so that the drain pipe is just open.

There are the usual e60 type problems too. There are computer modules below the spare wheel which can easily get water damage due to the sunroof and tail light seal issues. They can be relocated to higher ground without wiring changes. I find that a lot of leaf matter gets stuck between the radiator and ac condenser which causes premature failure of the radiator.

The computers in the e60 are very complex and I've set myself up with a decent laptop for diagnostic, programming and coding work. This has made almost every job on the car much easier as it pinpoints faults. A basic option is an elm327 type adapter with an app called BMWhat on android or iphone.

I had to do a full front suspension and cooling system overhaul to get the car up to scratch. The other faults have been with an ignition coil, the intake vanos solenoid and the intelligent battery sensor. All faults except the coil were from a lack of maintenance by the previous owner and only the IBS was excessively expensive.

I get the drive it on weekends and vacations and really enjoy it. Ours is fitted with different options and isn't an 'x' so I don't know what that will involve, but for an experienced E34 DIYer the E61 isn't much of a leap.

In terms of MPG we get about 20MPG in mostly city driving, but my father gets about 28MPG in a 530i sedan the same age with much more highway driving. We've got the professional NAV system in ours which is excellent. That car you're looking at doesn't appear to have nav at all, but it has the same level of sound system(hifi) as our which is very nice. In Australian delivered E61s the 2006 model didn't start production until 09/2005 so that would make that car a 2005 model here.

Hope all this is some use to you and you join the e61 club!

Myles

Vehicle information
Type

Value
VIN WBANN73556CN01588
Type code NN73
Type 530XI (USA)
E series E61 ()
Series 5
Type TOUR
Steering LL
Doors 5
Engine N52
Displacement 3.00
Power 190
Drive ALLR
Transmission AUT
Colour ALPINWEISS 3 (300)
Upholstery LEDER DAKOTA/BEIGE 3 (LCBA)
Prod.date 2005-07-18

Close Options
Code

Description (interface)

Description (EPC)
S1CAA SELEKTION COP RELEVANTER FAHRZEUGE Selection of COP-relevant vehicles
S203A ALLRADSYSTEM 4-wheel drive
S205A AUTOMATIC GETRIEBE Automatic transmission
S316A AUTOMATISCHE HECKKLAPPENBETAETIGUNG automatic trunk lid mechanism
S319A INTEGRIERTE UNIVERSAL-FERNBEDIENUNG Integrated universal remote control
S386A DACHRELING Roof railing
S430A INNEN-/AUSSENSPIEGEL AUT.ABBLENDEND Interior/outside mirror with auto dip
S431A INNENSPIEGEL,AUTOMATISCH ABBLENDEND Interior mirror with automatic-dip
S438A EDELHOLZAUSFUEHRUNG Fine wood trim
S441A RAUCHERPAKET Smoker package
S456A KOMFORTSITZE ELEKTRISCH VERSTELLBAR Comfort seat with memory
S493A ABLAGENPAKET Storage compartment package
S508A PARK DISTANCE CONTROL (PDC) Park Distance Control (PDC)
S522A XENON-LICHT Xenon Light
S524A ADAPTIVES KURVENLICHT Adaptive Headlights
Code

Description (interface)

Description (EPC)
S563A LICHTPAKET Light package
S605A TELEMATIK VORBEREITUNG Telematics preparation
S639A KOMPLETTVORB. HANDY USA/CDN Preparation f mobile phone cpl. USA/CDN
S655A SATELLITENTUNER Satellite tuner
S663A RADIO BMW PROFESSIONAL Radio BMW Professional
S694A CD-WECHSLER VORBEREITUNG Provisions for BMW 6 CD changer
S697A AREA-CODE 1 Area-Code 1 for DVD
S818A BATTERIEHAUPTSCHALTER Battery master switch
S8SPA COP STEUERUNG Control unit COP
S925A VERSANDSCHUTZPAKET Dispatch protection pack
S9AAA AUSSENHAUTSCHUTZ Outer skin protection

Close Standard equipment
Code

Description (interface)

Description (EPC)
S216A SERVOTRONIC HYDRO STEERING-SERVOTRONIC
S2CFA LM RAEDER STERNSP. 138 MIT NOTLAUF. BMW light alloy wheel, spider spoke 138
S302A ALARMANLAGE Alarm system
S354A GRUENKEIL-FRONTSCHEIBE Windscreen, green-tinted upper strip
S402A PANORAMA GLASDACH Panorama glass roof
S442A GETRAENKEHALTER Drink holder
S473A ARMAUFLAGE VORN Armrest front
S534A KLIMAAUTOMATIK Automatic air conditioning
S540A GESCHWINDIGKEITSREGELUNG Cruise control
S645A RADIO-STEUERUNG US BMW US Radio
S676A HIFI LAUTSPRECHERSYSTEM HiFi speaker system
S785A WEISSE BLINKLEUCHTEN White direction indicator lights
S823A HEISSLAND-AUSFUEHRUNG Hot-climate version
S845A AKUSTISCHE GURTWARNUNG Acoustic fasten seat belt reminder
S850A ZUSAETZL. TANKFUELLUNG EXPORT Additional Export tank filling
Code

Description (interface)

Description (EPC)
S853A SPRACHVERSION ENGLISCH Language version, English
S876A FUNKFREQUENZ 315 MHZ Radio frequency 315 MHz
S992A STEUERUNG KENNZEICHENBEFESTIGUNG Control of number-plate attachment

genphreak
02-23-2014, 07:29 AM
Nice. White is practical Economy good. Engine brilliant and not too complex (well that's arguable, but for a modern car its very polished engineering-wise) Previous damage, repair & maintenance history, body electronics and rust are the likely worries Dealers are seldom good perveyors of truth... Why not get an e34 525iT 5 speed? Fix the engine and drivetrain and enjoy ok economy w near-zero running costs.... after a few years chasing problems... lol! BTW, what's a TSX wagon?

ScottyWM
02-23-2014, 01:49 PM
Rust isn't an issue here. Let me clarify, this isn't at a real BMW dealer now. It was used as a BMW dealer loaner car since it was new. It was auctioned from them and is at what I'd call a 2nd tier seller - not a "buy here / pay here" place, but not an affiliated dealer. They have a reasonably good reputation. So the Carfax shows impeccable maintenance (being a dealer car it was serviced at the dealer regularly). I'd love a nice E34 525iT that was in great shape - but they're getting pretty scarce these days. Besides, I was looking for something with more safety features (airbags, sensors, etc.) and LESS time spent fixing it. By the time I started fixing stuff the 2nd and 3rd times on my old wagon it got kind of a pain in the arse. The TSX is an Acura TSX sport wagon. Basically a fancy Honda - I guess they sell the same car in Europe as a Honda. It's had zero issues that most people would complain about, but there's a bunch of little things I don't like about it. (Electronic power steering being one of the biggest). It's nice looking and comfortable, but a sheep in wolf's clothing!

genphreak
02-24-2014, 05:03 AM
Ahh I see now... I think here and there they call them Honda Accord Euros. The wagon is very Audi-esque at the back (never seen a wagon, they don't bring them here, yet AFAIK). The Honda is the best Japanese manufacturer (engineering wise, excepting Nissan's Skyline outfit)- but none seem to get what a car should be in real terms, they spend far too much time competing on specs, price and models to produce cars that are well enough engineered and designed or even nice to drive and look at.

I know the Skodas and Audis are good value (here) if you want something cheap, light & zippy.
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/12/lead15-2011-acura-tsx-sport-wagon.jpgvs.http://wakpaper.com/large/Honda_wallpapers_304.jpg

billb
03-21-2014, 02:33 PM
Scott, good to see you!
My neighbors have an E46 325i and a 530xiT. That 530 seems to spend more time at the dealer than at their house. It's been through the "water in the e-box" ordeal due to sunroof drains, 3 new batteries (each time being recoded to the car), very expensive brake jobs, suspension issues, iDrive issues, tailgate issues, just...issues. I try to be helpful, but it's over my head these days. I just smile and nod when I go out and fire up the E34. And it starts and runs with 188k.

My E46 is getting long in tooth now with 163k on it. Still rolling though!

632 Regal
03-22-2014, 08:34 PM
Geez, you guys with low mileage.. Old trusty Nika has 275K and the new un named 95 has 205k. I haven't really dove into it yet to determine the name but I'm sure it's happy living incognito.