PDA

View Full Version : newer model year radios may cause CCM probs

shogun
02-02-2014, 08:05 AM
Also new to me, but that was found out on 2 E34 so far, I copy the most important info here from BF:
Car:Supercharged E34 540i6
What do these mean?
Started the car this morning and saw these

ASC warning
http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc401/costamellios/AA0CDC8D-F90D-4C3F-9D66-4702795A9B4E-7408-000005068CE26AB6_zps805553fe.jpg
ESD regelt
http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc401/costamellios/10CD8665-EA06-4C6D-994C-C752CD33DACD-7408-0000050693BFAFBD_zps89cd5817.jpg
-------
my answer as usual:
ESD regelt means Elektronisches Sperr Differential = electronic slip control final drive and that your E34 car does not have. And that means your check control module must be resoldered, I already explained that here, a hairline crack at the R60 resistor in the check control.
ASC = anti slip control warning. Normally it means that is not working, but I would first resolder the CCM and then check once more if all the strange faults are gone.
-----------
My check control must be faulty because I'm getting all sorta of check codes coming
Oil level sensor
ASC
ESD
Brake lt circuit
Highbeam
Low beam
Just gonna replace the CCM
---------------
Update Replaced CCM, everything is better now.
----------
Update #2
Changed out CCM, after driving things are still wonky. There must be a wiring issue somewhere. I wouldn't usually care but it keeps gong'ing at me every 30 seconds or so
-------------
This problem is driving me insane. Only happens when I start the car in the morning. Only way et alerts stop is if I turn on my lights.
With no lights on, the check control freaks out and alerts me with

- door open
- oil level sensor
- coolant level
- brake light circuit
- ASC
- bonnet open
- boot open

Those are exactly what comes up. PO must have swapped the language of the cluster to English (UK) before I bought it.
Has ANYONE ever had this problem before?
-------------------
This information may or may not help. In my 93 525, whenever I change the original radio to the radio from my son's 92 e32, I will get the ESD regelt message. I have swapped back and forth between radios three times to confirm this issue. I know it is crazy, but it is a possibility.
----------------------------
this +10000
Changed the radio back to stock. No more problems....

This issue is so weird, but it's fixed now. I can begin living my life in harmony again without this god forsaken gong going off every 5 seconds.
------------------
IIRC the later radios are capable of displaying station info on the CCM in the cluster, perhaps there's a data bus issue?
----------------------
That could be it, I was using an E36 stock radio. Came off a 98 328is
-------------------
It seems like the radio that caused your troubles on your car and the radio that caused the same symptoms in my car were originally from cars that did not have the same check control display functions as our e34s have. Costa did the messages appear right away when the radio was installed?
-----------------------
They appeared the morning after, only went on for about 10-15 minutes when car was initially started for the day when it's cold
----------------
This. I had same issue several years ago when I tried swapping a radio from my 97 328iC into my E34. The E36 has a different data bus in terms of how the messages are formatted and it causes problems with the E34.
Unfortunately, CD43 will probably cause this problem. It is also a radio with the later data bus type used in the E36. I have one (CD43) but have not tried it in my E34. It is installed in my E36 where it functions as it should.
-------------------
Don't use E36 radios in E34's

Jehu
02-02-2014, 04:07 PM
I have used a CD43 in two e34 540's with none of these problems. I swapped the radio between two 540's many times for many months never seeing this issue arise.

I would eliminate the CD43 from concern based on my experience and feel confident selecting it for an OE CD Player/Radio upgrade.

shogun
02-02-2014, 05:20 PM
Comment by Johan from Johan & Sean:

I had an e36 radio in my previous 91 750: That blanked the check control display compleatly. When I pulled the plug from the radio wiring loom to the main car loom for the radio display in the check control everything was fine again.