PDA

View Full Version : 95 530 flash code

632 Regal
01-26-2014, 08:00 PM
Looks like something changed between 94 and 95 in the computers.

Floored it on the road, shifted 2nd and shutoff till I let off and hit the peddle again.
Came back and retrieved this code. One long, one short. repeating.

genphreak
01-27-2014, 03:00 AM
Could be your fuel pump- or the fusible link (did you test radio/wipers or obc)

:-) Maybe the code is fuel supply.

Is yours EWS?

The difference in the ECU between 94 and 95 is just that. The 540 and 530 may even have the same ECU- am sure the ROM fitted to it is different tho.

632 Regal
01-27-2014, 01:20 PM
I think it is EWS though I don"t have a controller. Radio, wipers and OBC all work.

genphreak
02-02-2014, 09:01 AM
If EWS is triggered fuel pump signal to the relay, the fuel system (IIRC pressure) failure faults will be held in ECU if it is the pump or some other catastrophic loss of pressure. I seriously doubt EWS can trigger during run time as that is not necessary and would pave the way for avoidable, dangerous failures in the field.

Take a good look at the fuel pump & crank sensor, and the fusible link if the intermittency prevents you testing the wipers or OBC when the condition occurs.

632 Regal
02-03-2014, 08:27 PM
Only on occasion does it cut out, non repeatable... random. So the one long followed by one short code is normal for a 95?

What does EWS stand for anyways?

632 Regal
02-07-2014, 10:45 PM
I guess there is no answer then. I repeated the problem, 3 times identical. Car has to be warmed up. Have to floor it from 10mph+ Fails 1-1.25 seconds into flooring it with the same time failing, then repeats long as you floor it. Has to be in 1st gear (auto trans). Ignition or some type of limiter... Did not get the rpm exact but think it was 3500 and not above 4000. I might replace the Dinan chip for shits and giggles.

mattyb
02-08-2014, 08:10 AM
im gonna try this tomorrow on the way to work and let u know

ryan roopnarine
02-08-2014, 04:49 PM
If I recall correctly, that's an indeterminate code--i. e., the computer isn't going to tell you anything.
I've experienced once when a DME was going bad, and once randomly. If you can afford the luxury of doing so, AND you really want to see the code, I'd reset it by pulling the battery for a couple of minutes. That resolved the situation for me in my latter instance.

632 Regal
02-09-2014, 06:51 AM
I did the batt disconnect while doing the steering wheel ordeal. Also unplugged the computer to check if it had a chip or not.

Todays test, over the cold blue temperature line but not quite half way. Boom boom boom between 3500-4000. I read the rpms this time and also in 2nd gear. The check engine did light each time. Went to get some food and came back, no issue the thing hammered right past 4K like nothing, no issues, it never dropped below 3500 on hammering the peddle at less than 20 MPH which it did earlier.

Wife who is observant says it only happens down hill, which is true so far. My 94 didn't care what I did, she is a good machine. I don't like this crap of not knowing what to do.

Slow roll so far has some limiter which I think is temperature limited but the wifes observation gets more interesting with the uphill/downhill idea.

mattyb
02-09-2014, 08:10 AM
What did you get to eat?? Today just in the interest of assisting your query I give mine a good flogging on the way to work; run slow for 3 minutes in D to get out of residential limits, temp under 1/4 and the stopped. into 1st then tromped to 3500rpm then 2nd 3500rpm all good. all I got was a big grin, half a ciggie then I was at work. liveandcookin@ lizottes.com.au
wish we had one in the states!

632 Regal
02-09-2014, 11:04 PM
Mine is a slushbox and it acted like some sort of rev limiter 3500-4000, shutting the engine off until it dropped to 3500 and back up to 4000. Didn't have a chance to test it again yet. The check engine lights up during the engine shutoff and back off once it gets down to 3500.

ryan roopnarine
02-11-2014, 12:57 PM
have you taken a look at the wires going to the fuel pump?
The whole "acts up on hills" routine smells suspiciously like a carb'd car with a clogged fuel filter.

My ghetto troubleshooting skillset says (if those wires look ok) to toss a whole quart of marvel mystery oil into the gas, since that seems to lubricate senders and pumps (and gets sticky senders back to normal) and see what it does. The stuff really does work in that application--it also seems to quiet down pumps a little. Have you taken a fuel pressure reading yet? Maybe on a steep incline? My personal experience--as riduculous as it may sound--is that a new fuel filter can add an extra 10 PSI (on a ford taurus) of pressure after the car had been run out of gas.

Additionally--and this is a long shot--have you checked to make sure that the alternator is operating correctly throughout the range of speeds? I'll take the back seat up and run some wire to the passenger seat and connect it to a DVM; the whole "cut out at certain rpms" suggests--at least to me--that there might be a supply issue. I know that when I tried to get home after one of my alternator brush springs got soft, the fuel pump would only work under certain rev positions and I had to kill everything electrical in the car to stop it from misfiring (I'm assuming that the FP wasn't getting enough juice in that state).

EDIT: Hell, you could forget all that and simply run some jumpers from the FP electrical supply to the passenger seat, have someone else watch the meter, and try to re-create the conditions under which the problem occured. That way, you'd know if there was a certain point in which the pump voltage went to crap, and work your way out from there.

632 Regal
02-11-2014, 02:57 PM
Jeez man it's cold and I'm not into working on the thing doing experiments. It acts just like a rev limiter, strictly when floored and exactly between 3500-4000. Bounces off at 4, drops to 3.5 and alive again. The car was not fully warm in the center but above blue. I need to get a video so you will understand but as the person I am, I have no video cam and my phone is not even a dumb phone it's older more like a stupid phone.

Hmm my wife has a phone that does video.... I will video it and upload for all to guess. santa

Did you check out the smilies?

genphreak
02-12-2014, 06:32 PM
Ok. But what did you get for lunch?

PS. Sounds like you need a Peake code reader...

MBXB
02-12-2014, 08:20 PM
+1 on ryan's call.
On my car, it was both fuel pump and filters.
The pump was failing plus the filters were all gummed up.

632 Regal
12-25-2016, 06:51 PM
Definetly a sort of rev limiter that was not on the 94. Once warm it is fine.