PDA

View Full Version : shimmy with used larger winter tires

crowegreg
01-12-2014, 03:37 AM
I won't go into detail as to what got me to here, but my problem is after installing used 16in rims with used snow tires, I have a shimmy which occasionally comes up around 45-50. If I switch back to my original 15in, non-snow tires I have no problem. The 16's have been balanced. The previous owner of the rims said he never had a problem. The tires are 1 year old Blizzak's. Any suggestions??

genphreak
01-12-2014, 08:25 AM
Are they from an e38 or e39? They are hubcentric, not lugcentric, so you will get out of balance symptoms if these rims are mounted (without additional hubcentric rings to make them locate in the centre properly)

ahlem
01-12-2014, 03:48 PM
You can get hubcentric rings to get the center hole sized down to almost anything from Tulip City in Holland MI.
http://www.tulipcitywheels.com/tcwstore/
Last set I got was under $20 for all four..

632 Regal
01-12-2014, 05:36 PM
I won't go into detail as to what got me to here, but my problem is after installing used 16in rims with used snow tires, I have a shimmy which occasionally comes up around 45-50. If I switch back to my original 15in, non-snow tires I have no problem. The 16's have been balanced. The previous owner of the rims said he never had a problem. The tires are 1 year old Blizzak's. Any suggestions??

Your tire is either out of round or off balance. Could be a slightly bent wheel. Good luck in them fixing it.

632 Regal
01-14-2014, 08:17 AM
You can get hubcentric rings to get the center hole sized down to almost anything from Tulip City in Holland MI.
http://www.tulipcitywheels.com/tcwstore/
Last set I got was under $20 for all four..

I noticed the aluminum rings are not tight, the plastic ones are tight and are tricky to install without mashing them... get extras.

BMWFatherFigure
01-15-2014, 09:47 PM
Could be early sign of reaction bush wear too.

Jehu
01-18-2014, 03:58 PM
if by reaction bush you mean the Idler arm bushing I'd agree.

I've had these fail several times after hitting deep potholes..Just last night my right front wheel started exhibiting making noise, front end shaking when I went on the highway so I pulled off, got under the car and when pulling on the right tie rod there is play and I hear metal contacting; clunk, clunk... same when I pull on the center drag link near the idler arm.

I have been told there are very slight bends in my wheels when having tires mounted but they balanced and were mostly good even at higher speeds until just recently and I have hit a few deep potholes recently as they're showing up more frequently now with the cold weather .

Going to look at it this week.. probably needs the idler arm bushing but the tie rod end boots as well as the other rubber boots on the other arms all appear intact.. Think my rear pitman arms are failed too so probably get those all done this week.

BMWFatherFigure
01-27-2014, 07:34 PM
And I thought our roads are bad. Out here we pay about Au$250 a rim to have buckles etc fixed.

genphreak
02-02-2014, 09:03 AM
I've bent aftermarket alloys, but never a factory forged one. Sydney is one of the worst places for it.

BMWFatherFigure
02-05-2014, 12:29 AM
G'day genphreak! Nice tofind another Aussi in these wild parts.....

genphreak
02-08-2014, 06:36 PM
G'day moit- been stuck here for years.

It goes something like this:

"Welcome to the Forum-California

You can log-off anytime you want, but you can never leave...."

BMWFatherFigure
02-09-2014, 07:29 AM
You are not wrong. Where else in the world does an ordinary bloke end up with 8 BMW's to keep the sun of his drive way?