PDA

View Full Version : Leather Steering Wheel Restoration

TechnoWeeny
01-09-2014, 07:32 PM
Happy 2014 to all my fellow BimmerNuts. During the process of restoring my E34 540i I have come across this product called Leatherique and have shared the Pictures in a previous posting. Today this link shows the restoration process and results of using this product on the leather steering wheel. Hope it is of some use or encouragement for some of you to have a go at doing it for your beloved motor.

http://youtu.be/zX46TRVcaVs

632 Regal
01-09-2014, 09:50 PM
I used the rejuvenation stuff and my wheel eventually peeled apart in sheets. Don't think I will try it on the new ride.

TechnoWeeny
01-09-2014, 10:03 PM
I used the rejuvenation stuff and my wheel eventually peeled apart in sheets. Don't think I will try it on the new ride.
That sounds nasty. Your comment prompts me to enquire what brand rejuvenator did you use?

632 Regal
01-10-2014, 01:56 AM
It was all Leatherique. Also redid the drivers seat, ended up getting another one to replace it. I think once the leather is dry and wasted it can't be repaired as claimed. The steering wheel thing surprised me because it looked and felt so much better when I was done.

TechnoWeeny
01-10-2014, 02:15 AM
It was all Leatherique. Also redid the drivers seat, ended up getting another one to replace it. I think once the leather is dry and wasted it can't be repaired as claimed. The steering wheel thing surprised me because it looked and felt so much better when I was done.

@ Regal, Good feedback, thanks, I'll be sure to watch for any deterioration. What sort of time frame are we talking about before signs of deterioration start to be noticeable?

632 Regal
01-10-2014, 02:56 AM
Steering wheel was okay for a couple months, seat never did turn out good and the leather really started cracking almost immediately. I may have overdid the cleaning of old dye contributing to the demise.

Weisebar
01-14-2014, 06:58 PM
Hi Weeny, after calculating time and cost I decided to have my wheel recovered by a local motor trimmer. Italian leather, overnight, $140.
Happy now.
Cheers
Weisebar

TechnoWeeny
01-14-2014, 08:59 PM
Steering wheel was okay for a couple months, seat never did turn out good and the leather really started cracking almost immediately. I may have overdid the cleaning of old dye contributing to the demise.

Did you use filer on either your steering Wheel or leather restoration? If you did, I hope you didn't make the mistake of using Prepping Agent to clean the treated area after you had applied the "Filler"? I made this mistake originally on my steering wheel and the filler started to break down and flake, so I stripped the wheel again and reapplied the filler but this time DIDN'T use Prepping agent over the filler and it has come up looking and feeling like new and NO flaking this time. :-)

genphreak
01-14-2014, 10:55 PM
Hi Weeny, after calculating time and cost I decided to have my wheel recovered by a local motor trimmer. Italian leather, overnight, $140.
Happy now.
Cheers
WeisebarOK, who, and where? Any idea how the results will be? Oftentimes the leather around the spokes comes out second rate as this is where the leather undergoes intensive heat treatment (moulding and adhesion) during production (which is hard to replicate without the right jigs and machines)

TechnoWeeny
01-14-2014, 11:05 PM
OK, who, and where? Any idea how the results will be? Oftentimes the leather around the spokes comes out second rate as this is where the leather undergoes intensive heat treatment (moulding and adhesion) during production (which is hard to replicate without the right jigs and machines)

It's Phreaky how you know all this M8 :-)

genphreak
01-15-2014, 08:00 AM
I'm just another nut behind another wheel... in fact, behind too may wheels... lol!

632 Regal
01-15-2014, 12:33 PM
It's Phreaky how you know all this M8 :-)

It's because he used to work in a steering wheel factory:

http://youtu.be/rp7RdQ9YgG8

BMWFatherFigure
01-15-2014, 09:36 PM
FYI the most expensive leather available is used on BMW steering wheels (not RR interiors). They are hand stitched in the factory. I have seen kits but never used one.

Jehu
01-18-2014, 03:47 PM
I purchased this wheel off ebay.. it is as should be clear a refinished BMW wheel done to highest professional standards.
I have seen other wheelskinning jobs which appear very loose fitting , rather sloppy resembling Elephant skin so to me the price was worth it.

632 Regal
01-18-2014, 08:47 PM
That looks real Jehu, how does it feel? Is it loose at all?

Jehu
01-18-2014, 09:14 PM
That looks real Jehu, how does it feel? Is it loose at all?
No its absolutely every bit as tight and professionally done as it looks.. $550 shipped from DE.

632 Regal
01-19-2014, 09:38 AM
550! I could buy a whole other car for that!

Jehu
01-19-2014, 11:43 PM
I have three steering wheels sitting in my closet.. two have worn leather at the top.

One of those is the style in the pic w/o the thumb rests which I think are added when refurbishing. I used its airbag so got about $100 off the complete price.

I have taken to wearing leather gloves when driving to keep the acids in the skin oils from corroding the leather hopefully allowing me to enjoy it for a long time .

If I felt there was a similarly high level of workmanship available locally I'd have it done.

I have no idea what I'll end up doing with the three steering wheels I have.. nobody'd want them as they are and nobody does a good enough job around here refinishing .

I offered to ship one or any to the seller in Germany for a discount on the purchase but this was not profitable for him .. evidently they can get wheels for no more there than shipping from here would cost.

TechnoWeeny
01-20-2014, 07:31 AM
This is great feedback guys, but remember ...... I was refurbishing to original and the steering wheel kit only costs AUS$65 and about 2 hours out of your day to refurbish to a very high standard. The one thing I can't talk to is how long it lasts for, but when you consider the significant price difference between $550 and $65 even if you added GST and currency conversions that's still a lot of wheels you can refurbish for the cost of the kit versus a none OEM aftermarket knock off.
In saying all this though, there is still no substitute for an OEM BMW original, except when you consider in 19 years I have only had to refurbish the wheel once. ..... Just saying guys!!! :-)

Jehu
01-20-2014, 01:39 PM
Fine if your leather is still intact.. I just got tired of seeing and feeling the large missing leather area where the original had deteriorated away and all the available re-wrappng options that I was able to find whether it be a local auto upholsterer or DIY looked ghastly to me. I wanted a nice , tight, professional looking (aka Brand New BMW) looking wheel.. that is the going rate for such an item.

TechnoWeeny
01-21-2014, 06:43 PM
LOL, what a great informative video Regal, it must have been made on a Hyundi production line was it? I had to go back and review the inserting of the central hub a couple of times to catch what tools they used :-) rotfl