PDA

View Full Version : New ride

632 Regal
01-02-2014, 05:12 PM
Whose car is it? Athens GA far as I know right now. Looks lowered and repainted, will pick it up tomorrow. 1995

Lets see what the picture limits are here these days ;)

79687969797079717972797379747975797679777978797979 8079817982

632 Regal
01-02-2014, 05:18 PM
Looks like 15

And it wont let me ad any more in this reply...

632 Regal
01-02-2014, 06:51 PM
Brake unit is different, this mean it has auto suspension?

Paul in NZ
01-02-2014, 09:12 PM
95 530 will be the little V8?Same equipment/location as a 540 AFAIK

632 Regal
01-02-2014, 09:23 PM
Yes same as the 540. Mine is a 94 and the only difference I can see is the brake unit and the lights in the front fenders. Far as I know the 540 gets lower city mileage but better highway. Thanks for reminding me! I need to swap out the rear differentials, I put in a higher gear ratio... this will suck without a garage.

I really love how the 530 drives and I am very familiar with it. The wife says she wants a 4 door cause she is pregnant and the 530 is compromised from the rust so I don't feel it is quite so safe.

We have a little **** shaker 96 honda that sells for around 3 grand, the 530 sells about 2K tops. I don't really understand that aspect. So when I went to my ebay watch list she saw the this one and said she wants it... lol. Ok. Sniped it 9 seconds before the end $1580.00 USD. So if I can get 2 for mine I wont feel quite as bad plus I will swap the computer chip and some other things mattering on what the new one needs.

mattyb
01-03-2014, 07:23 AM
engine bay layout is very different to mine 95 540i. by auto suspension do you mean LAD? the power steering reservoir seems to look like non lad from those pics. sweet looking ride though, we don't have the bumper lights in OZ.What ever happened to the 840?

shogun
01-03-2014, 08:02 AM
Post the VIN here and I get all the options the car was ordered originally. Looks like the power steering container is for Pentosin.

That is quite confusing what is used on E34,Pentosin CHF 7.1 or 11S or ATF, here someone tried it, but he almost gave up
http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y420/Layne205/PSflowchart_zps65a81a0f.jpg
This is not complete and I am not sure that there are faults in the flowchart

632 Regal
01-03-2014, 09:28 PM
Hi Erich, WBAHE2327SGE90539

Drove it home today, seems to have a slight vibration when first taking off. Guibo perhaps.
A couple other small issues related to a 200K vehicle.
Needs a fan shroud.
Muffler is hanging, have to get some and pull the bumper.
One of the elipsoid low beam lens is cracked. All medium pitting.
Door seals are messed up.
I couldn't get the glove box open and asked the seller what the trick was, bad idea he pulled the latch right off. I haven't spent any time checking it but it doesn't look easy to transfer the key part to a new latch.
The steering doesn't seem to want to center itself, might be someone tightened the box for play.
I don't know if it is chipped but it seems as fast as my old 530, will check that when it gets warmer.
No seat twisties! I am impressed.
Car was contract serviced until 1999 at 70k At 68K it says engine serviced, I'm thinking Nikki was replaced. Can't check that for a while.
The car was repainted at least on the hood, shitty tape job but no chips is good. WIll analyze if the whole car could be an easy candidate for a clear spray job.
Smells like antifreeze when the heat is on, I will try my secret additive and hope it works as well as on the 94.
Will go for a 420 mile test ride tomorrow, today was only 225 and seemed to go quite well.

That's all I know right now.

632 Regal
01-03-2014, 09:37 PM
What ever happened to the 840?

850 was sold after I fixed the non start issue so I could move. Took too long and gave it away. It lives in my heart though. cheers

shogun
01-04-2014, 01:16 AM
VIN WBAHE2327SGE90539
Type code HE23
Type 530I (USA)
E series E34 ()
Series 5
Type LIM
Steering LL
Doors 4
Engine M60/1
Displacement 3.00
Power 160
Drive HECK
Transmission AUT
Colour SCHWARZ 2 (668)
Upholstery (0453)
Prod.date 1994-06-22
S240A LEDERLENKRAD Leather steering wheel
S243A AIRBAG FUER BEIFAHRER Airbag for front passenger
S288A LEICHTMETALLRAEDER BMW light alloy wheel, cross spoke 29
S458A SITZVERSTELLUNG ELEKTR.FAHRER/BEIF. Electr. front seat adjustment
S472A MITTELARMLEHNEN VORN FAHRER/BEIF. Armrest, front, driver/passenger
S553A BORDCOMPUTER IV MIT FERNBEDIENUNG On-board computer IV with remote control
S640A AUTOTELEFONVORBEREITUNG Preparation f tel.installation universal
S686A ANTENNENDIVERSITY Antenna-Diversity
S694A CD-WECHSLER VORBEREITUNG Provisions for BMW 6 CD changer
S818A BATTERIEHAUPTSCHALTER Battery master switch
S900A ANERK. WEGFAHRSICHERUNG LT. AZT/TUEV Electronic immobilizer
S925A VERSANDSCHUTZPAKET Transport protection package

genphreak
01-04-2014, 10:24 AM
Jeff, I reckon you're nuts adding any globby stuff for a smelly blower- you risk fouling the heater valve seats (etc.) and it is most likely just the front o-ring pipes that are leaking. Check your AC operation, if not perfect consider doing this and a new $25 expansion valve as they are in the same location- you need to recover the R134 first but that allows you to replace the 4 or 5 seals on each refrigerant pipe. Once she's re-gassed you'll have a new AC system that will see you through thick and thin... and less chance of any troubles or costs from a clogged up cooling system. Just sayin'...

bimmer nut
01-04-2014, 10:34 AM
VIN WBAHE2327SGE90539
Type code HE23
Type 530I (USA)
E series E34 ()
Series 5
Type LIM
Steering LL
Doors 4
Engine M60/1
Displacement 3.00
Power 160
Drive HECK
Transmission AUT
Colour SCHWARZ 2 (668)
Upholstery (0453)
Prod.date 1994-06-22
S240A LEDERLENKRAD Leather steering wheel
S243A AIRBAG FUER BEIFAHRER Airbag for front passenger
S288A LEICHTMETALLRAEDER BMW light alloy wheel, cross spoke 29
S458A SITZVERSTELLUNG ELEKTR.FAHRER/BEIF. Electr. front seat adjustment
S472A MITTELARMLEHNEN VORN FAHRER/BEIF. Armrest, front, driver/passenger
S553A BORDCOMPUTER IV MIT FERNBEDIENUNG On-board computer IV with remote control
S640A AUTOTELEFONVORBEREITUNG Preparation f tel.installation universal
S686A ANTENNENDIVERSITY Antenna-Diversity
S694A CD-WECHSLER VORBEREITUNG Provisions for BMW 6 CD changer
S818A BATTERIEHAUPTSCHALTER Battery master switch
S900A ANERK. WEGFAHRSICHERUNG LT. AZT/TUEV Electronic immobilizer
S925A VERSANDSCHUTZPAKET protection package

Protection Package, oooh baby!

j/k

Maximum images per post was set to 20, not sure why it stopped you at 15. I changed it to 30. I'll look for another setting that may be stopping you though.

Very nice looking e34 Jeff, especially for the price.

genphreak
01-04-2014, 10:35 AM
That is quite confusing what is used on E34,Pentosin CHF 7.1 or 11S or ATF, here someone tried it, but he almost gave up
http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y420/Layne205/PSflowchart_zps65a81a0f.jpg
This is not complete and I am not sure that there are faults in the flowchart

I reckon most of the assumptions are in the top row of that matrix:

Production dates vary by model and market- so models in various markets are actually related. It's probably more about the production runs and related equipment levels planned. I'm not sure that ATS-C has to influence the use of CHF11S directly (BMW seem to have no trouble making many variances in plumbing on the e31/2/4 series as well as earlier models- I suspect they knew this stuff well-enough to test each setup and go to production faster than we might think they could these days).

I bet that they would re-engineer various arrangements during the production planning, and that this actually had some influence over how upcoming models in each production run needed to be plumbed (and re-engineered as a result).

genphreak
01-04-2014, 07:02 PM
Yes same as the 540. Mine is a 94 and the only difference I can see is the brake unit and the lights in the front fenders. Far as I know the 540 gets lower city mileage but better highway. Thanks for reminding me! I need to swap out the rear differentials, I put in a higher gear ratio... this will suck without a garage.

I really love how the 530 drives and I am very familiar with it. The wife says she wants a 4 door cause she is pregnant and the 530 is compromised from the rust so I don't feel it is quite so safe.

We have a little **** shaker 96 honda that sells for around 3 grand, the 530 sells about 2K tops. I don't really understand that aspect. So when I went to my ebay watch list she saw the this one and said she wants it... lol. Ok. Sniped it 9 seconds before the end $1580.00 USD. So if I can get 2 for mine I wont feel quite as bad plus I will swap the computer chip and some other things mattering on what the new one needs.

[QUOTE=genphreak;345181] It looks a sweet piece of e34 you've scored. Nothing wrong with a 530i, far more economical than an M30, power is delivered almost as hard but more smoothly. The 5HP18 is far better in all conditions than the 4HP22, and you already know the work required to keep her running nicely. Dynamically its a bit livelier than the 540 as the weight is less, yet it has all the refinements you can get in an e34.

Pity to hear about the e31 though... I guess with another baby on the way there is contention for resources and space in your life.

Big congrats from the boys downunder dude!

shogun
01-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Protection Package, oooh baby!
Do not misunderstand this. This is not a bullet proof E34, this protection package is just the wax coating etc for shipping from factory to the dealer in USA.
Here are pics of an BMW E34 Security B6
http://alpa-gatt.com/ALPa_GATTConstr/HTMLsE/E34classE.html
Look at the thickness of the window glass

According to the CEN ballistic standards, materials rated at the B6 and B7 level can both defeat multiple 7.62x51mm rifle rounds, but they are rated for different types of ammunition. B7 level armoring can defeat armor piercing 7.62x51mm ammunition that are designed to penetrate armor whereas B6 level armoring cannot. In addition, B7 armoring can defeat 7.62x54R ammunition used in weapons such as the Dragunov SVD rifle and PKM/PKP machine guns.

632 Regal
01-04-2014, 11:24 PM
Jeff, I reckon you're nuts adding any globby stuff for a smelly blower- you risk fouling the heater valve seats (etc.) and it is most likely just the front o-ring pipes that are leaking. Check your AC operation, if not perfect consider doing this and a new $25 expansion valve as they are in the same location- you need to recover the R134 first but that allows you to replace the 4 or 5 seals on each refrigerant pipe. Once she's re-gassed you'll have a new AC system that will see you through thick and thin... and less chance of any troubles or costs from a clogged up cooling system. Just sayin'...

This seems easy, do you have a step by step procedure for me to follow in a warmer afternoon?

632 Regal
01-05-2014, 12:15 AM
Do not misunderstand this. This is not a bullet proof E34, this protection package is just the wax coating etc for shipping from factory to the dealer in USA.
Here are pics of an BMW E34 Security B6
http://alpa-gatt.com/ALPa_GATTConstr/HTMLsE/E34classE.html
Look at the thickness of the window glass

According to the CEN ballistic standards, materials rated at the B6 and B7 level can both defeat multiple 7.62x51mm rifle rounds, but they are rated for different types of ammunition. B7 level armoring can defeat armor piercing 7.62x51mm ammunition that are designed to penetrate armor whereas B6 level armoring cannot. In addition, B7 armoring can defeat 7.62x54R ammunition used in weapons such as the Dragunov SVD rifle and PKM/PKP machine guns.

She has issues, some I need to learn. heatercore O rings and why the steering is so tight. Inside is tight while outside does what it wants. Morning while cold the steering will not return.

mattyb
01-05-2014, 07:42 AM
does the steering wheel feel like its staggering when turning and the front wheels are not turning at all?

632 Regal
01-06-2014, 01:05 PM
does the steering wheel feel like its staggering when turning and the front wheels are not turning at all?

No I am almost positive someone over tightened the steering box adjustment. A pretty big project with the V8 engine. Steering is incredibly heavy when first started. If you pull out from a spot the wheel will not return at all and it's tight to turn back to the straight ahead position. Gets a little bit better when warmed up but still is a hazard.

The other main issue is the heatercore... Not something I want to even think about.

MBXB
01-07-2014, 11:19 PM
Nice Buy, Jeff

632 Regal
01-08-2014, 06:41 AM
Thinking about it I doubt anyone raided the engine, quite a feat looking into a project like this. I wonder if they added the wrong steering fluid and if that could cause the issue.

632 Regal
01-08-2014, 06:43 AM
Low post count cause of new ID, old one was hacked.

LOL Just saw this...

genphreak
01-08-2014, 04:17 PM
Thinking about it I doubt anyone raided the engine, quite a feat looking into a project like this. I wonder if they added the wrong steering fluid and if that could cause the issue.

Serpentine belt slipping, incorrectly fitted banjo bolt (should hear loud cavitation noise if so) are also things you'd be checking but incorrect steering fluid is common result of POS (Previous Owner Stupidity). CHF11S (I don't think CHF7.1 does though), is much higher pressure than ATF and has different heat/viscosity curve too- you're right it'd be a good idea to do a change and see.

632 Regal
01-08-2014, 08:30 PM
Serpentine belt slipping, incorrectly fitted banjo bolt (should hear loud cavitation noise if so) are also things you'd be checking but incorrect steering fluid is common result of POS (Previous Owner Stupidity). CHF11S (I don't think CHF7.1 does though), is much higher pressure than ATF and has different heat/viscosity curve too- you're right it'd be a good idea to do a change and see.

The more I drive this thing the more I think that no one in their right mind went and adjusted the steering box. I have not checked the color of the fluid yet but it is half full. The 94 will growell (cavitation) at that level but not the 95. The 94 belt slips, I am very familiar with this phenomenon. Supposed to warm up a bit tomorrow and I will check the color of the fluid. The car was maintained but doubt it was done at BMW. I don't have CH11S but do have CHF7.1 on hand. Probably not enough to do a complete flush though. Need to cough up and get some ASAP before I can go blaming anything. I shouldn't be mixing stuff in there right now and just deal with it till I get some correct fluid.

It is amazingly nice to drive the (a) bimmer again. Been swapping stuff every day from the old to the new. Have some wood trim needs to be swapped and a window motor to go. Some other small stuff then I will off Nikki. In just a few days I have saved over a thousand just swapping stuff that have no bearing on how dependable Nikki still is. I have to put the chip in the new one unless the DME is identical but I doubt it. (% hits bumps hard and have no clue what struts are in there... someone does though. Wish I had some history on this thing.

MBXB
01-09-2014, 02:14 PM
Don't for get the 'nut behind the wheel'.
Maybe someone cranked it down too much.

632 Regal
01-09-2014, 03:43 PM
We have a Dinan chip preinstalled. Nice touch. Springs are way low and she bottoms on bumps, no clue what struts either. I finally got the courage to look in the steering vessel. Cloudy brown with a red tint. Definitely on my to do list, will order this today and change this out a couple times. Really nasty, the 94 is crispy clean.

632 Regal
09-13-2014, 11:09 PM
Nut behind the wheel... Wheel will not telescope at all so I loosened it completely. No telescoping at all. Not sure of the issue but it's all the way forwards I think. Probably some dried up grease or something, not going to deal with it. It is perfect for me anyways and no one else drives it.

BigKriss
09-14-2014, 06:06 AM
How much was it?

632 Regal
09-14-2014, 06:56 PM
How much was it?

C'mon man really? That's like asking how big my deck is... J/K

Car was $1580 usd via Ebay, a trip a few hundred miles away and home she came. Car was far from cherry but I swapped a ton of stuff from Nika and did what I could. Door panels, seats, wood trim all around, visors, mirrors, fan shroud, engine covers, windshield squirters, headlights, foglights, seat belts. Then had to buy a ton of stuff and still working on it (muffler hangers and a bunch of other dumb shyt that is common maintenance).

Needs control and thrust arms and she will be about 95% not counting the paint work I'll have to wheel out.

I would guess if I had to pay for all the donations from Nika and what I bought so far probably about 2300-2500 on top of the purchase so far. That brings it up to about 4K which is far below the 10K threshold back 10 years ago for a good condition E34.

The car has only one dent in the pass side door that can be pulled out by dentless and the body be perfectly straight. The paint has issues but I am totally anal about everything so what I think is 80% could be 95% to someone else. If you are 5 feet away from it there are no issues, if you go in close and study there are issues. Hard to describe, but if clean I get people always talking and telling me their BS of "when I used to own an E34" kind of stuff. The car can easily enter car shows it's that decent... But I am the guy that looks at the paint with magnifying lenses, not kidding.

Next big ticket item is a mint drivers seat and the interior is completely done. I don't want to do the work involved to repaint the car, it's on the edge of a cliff weather it is worth it since it's great from a few feet.

I am wondering if I have any updated pictures... let me search.

bimmer nut
09-15-2014, 06:53 PM
Lookin' good Jeff. I likey.

632 Regal
09-25-2014, 12:58 PM
New pics:

Rustam
09-25-2014, 04:37 PM
Very nice.

Maybe a wheel spacer in the back, and raise the rear a centimeter?

632 Regal
09-26-2014, 06:37 PM
Very nice.

Maybe a wheel spacer in the back, and raise the rear a centimeter?

Yes back is low, not going to do anything. Want to list it soon as I change thrust/control arms. Project is done, time for another.

632 Regal
08-06-2015, 10:35 PM
Dirty cars... why post em?

Try to notice the shine of the 1st posts vs the last ones, see anything different?

:)

bimmer nut
08-07-2015, 09:31 AM
Dirty cars... why post em?

Try to notice the shine of the 1st posts vs the last ones, see anything different?

:)

Don't see last ones!

632 Regal
08-07-2015, 01:22 PM
Can you believe that no one does paintless dent repair around here?

She still shines though.