PDA

View Full Version : Seat Back Fix - Permanent FOREVER fix? (Not shorten the cable...)

RobPatt
12-09-2013, 02:03 PM
Hi,
I've been on the board since the 'olden days and thanks about 90% to this board I've had my schwartz baby 'Geil for 12 years and 180k+ miles.

BUT.... I'm TIRED of fixing the seat twist. Been there, done, that, could do it with my eyes closed.

Replaced seat gearboxes too when the plastic teeth break and don't engage the worm gear.

Question - Has anyone just made some brackets to PERMANENTLY keep the seat at a comfortable angle of incline?

...if not... I'm about to... and looking for ideas/input....

I don't have time anymore to be constantly tinkering with little stuff on the car... window lift plastics, seat backs...

LOVE THE CAR and plan to keep it, ALWAYS a joy to drive... Thanks for your patience. Now, onward to no more seat cables!

shogun
12-10-2013, 10:44 AM
So far I have only fixed on my car the passenger seat once and the driver seat is still the original setting and working well, and my car is from 1988. But that is an E32. Not sure if there are more probs on E34 seats.
Why do you not buy complete new bowden cables and install them, they should last at least for the next 10 years. You just have to make sure to buy the correct ones. For example on the E32 there were 2 seat makers and the bowden cables have slightly different lengths. Safest is to check the original bowden cables, there are outside the part numbers and also the length shown on the bowden cable.

RobPatt
12-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Shogun, thank you for the encouragement.

I replaced the cables probably 5 years ago.... and the slip now I think is another gearbox. :-(

Maybe I should just replace all the gears and cables. Do you know if the E34 uses E36 gears?
Odometer Gears - BMW - 3 Series E36 90-00 (http://www.odometergears.com/products/BMW/3+Series+E36+90-00/26)

shogun
12-10-2013, 06:40 PM
I do not know if E34 use E36 gears, I have a E32, someone with more E34 knowledge has to answer that question.
Did you check on RealOEM.com Online BMW Parts Catalog (http://www.realoem.com) the part numbers with part number cross reference? Search for the correct part number for your car on realoem, then go back to realoem and paste that number into the search by part number and all BMW will be shown which have the same part number.

TechnoWeeny
12-11-2013, 03:29 AM
I have just shortened the outer cases on my E34 540i as per Shoguns Handy Hints and they are working really well. I still have the seats out of the car so if you need the OEM Part #, let me know and I can go check for you if that is of any assistance?

Paul in NZ
12-11-2013, 04:44 AM
on my 535is i never had any trouble with the seats

genphreak
12-27-2013, 12:07 AM
Subjective perhaps, but memory seats (or those that get used a lot by people with varying geometries will wear more).

When a car is used by many people and the seat adjusted each time, the components suffer more wear. Has anyone with electric seats adjusted them intensively over years and years and not suffered cable and gearbox problems? They should work fine for years if they just sit there static most of the time...

632 Regal
12-29-2013, 11:54 PM
I have gearboxes somewhere in a box, fixed my cable once and has not failed. I think Genphreak is onto something.

Bill R.
12-30-2013, 12:21 AM
Hi Jeff, same with me. I fixed mine once when i first got the car and haven't had to mess with them anymore. I do lots of customers though but also only once.

mattyb
12-30-2013, 07:09 AM
same here, regular site fix (accredited to so many, hard to name all, u know who u are), no probs so far.I think Nick is correct

RobPatt
02-01-2015, 05:50 PM
ok... I know this is a slightly dated thread....

but I've got my interior redone... (will post pix soon in a new thread)... and I have my seats aligned perfectly, bowden cables fully engage...

and I just went to sit in the car to put the leather boot back on the hand brake... and the blasted passenger seat (inside-side)... slipped and reclined about 2 inches...

so my perfect seats are no longer perfect... and I know it's not the cables because I wasn't adjusting... it must be a stripped section of a gear in the gearbox.

anyone know an online place I can order some alu gears made? guess I can measure it all and maybe make a prototype on a 3d printer.

TechnoWeeny
02-01-2015, 06:19 PM
G'day Rob, Although I am in Australia, I do have a BMW parts contact in the USA who might be able to help you locate a second hand seat motor and drive unit. Send me a message or reply if you're interested and I can forward you his contact details.

RobPatt
02-01-2015, 11:02 PM
I'm glad the cable repair has worked so well for so many... as it also has for me. I've done the "heat the metal end" method as well as the "cut the sheath and shorten it a bit, and beef up the area with fuel line hose" methods....

but my seat slips... formerly the driver only... but today the passenger too.

Gale describes this issue here: http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_32.htm

But a used gearbox set is $50 each side, and it will probably also have old brittle toothed gears.

So.... I'm going to swap gearboxes and see if I can 3D scan my bad gear and get new ones made.....

off to go research why my door shuts, and almost bounces open... flaky latch I guess.

shogun
02-01-2015, 11:04 PM
The teeth on that plastic drive wheel strip and it can no longer be rotated by the worm gear. Fixes include finding the gearbox from a seat you know fits and works. I'm not sure all E34 seat gear boxes are set up the same but I am assuming they are and you can search for them from the whole spectrum of vehicles not strictly Sport Seats.

edit attachment: http://home.comcast.net/~cpkver8/gearbox3.jpg

632 Regal
02-02-2015, 06:28 AM
Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator (http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/sendmessage.php)

shogun
02-02-2015, 06:33 AM
One more try http://home.comcast.net/~cpkver8/gearbox3.jpg

genphreak
02-04-2015, 07:10 PM
Rob it may well be that, but you're in the US, just get a spare seat from a wreck and grab the part you need.

Perhaps make a drawing of the part once you have it out. I'm sure I can find a way to make one- or a few in case others need them.

Of course, its more likely a bowden cable has 'popped back' a tad... no doubt you'll find it hard to go back straight away though, once it's all buttoned up I find the fridge door opens itself...

genphreak
02-04-2015, 07:26 PM
Both work for me. maybe Comcast are throttling it for some, censoring it for others... :-)

RobPatt
02-07-2015, 02:27 PM
if you think you can make a few or more great...

I'm going to order a replacement gearbox and hope for the best... ( not another 20+ year old brittle plastic gear )

If so, I'll PM you and we can send you the stripped gear... see what you can do.

I found lots of places online that will make something like this... don't know the cost.

If most folks get their fix from the cable shorten, probably not a need for many gears; may not be worth it.

more to come.. !!