PDA

View Full Version : Does fan clutch removal require a special tool?

mancini_mark
06-19-2004, 11:43 PM
Hi guys,

I'm not sure if my fan clutch is working or not, but I just changed the thermostat and it still runs a bit hot in traffic, but it takes more to do it than before.

So, I'm thinking process of elimination. Fan clutch would be next on the list, right? If I've got to do it, do I need a special tool to remove it?

thanks,

Mark

ScottyWM
06-20-2004, 02:14 PM
Might want to do a little more t-shooting. I just posted about mine overheating at idle. Turned out it was just a fuse for the auxilliary fan.

You don't say what car you have, but on mine the fuses are #25 and #29 (2 speeds). Aux. fan comes on with AC.

mancini_mark
06-20-2004, 09:32 PM
That would be sweet if it was just a fuse. My AC doesn't work though. Would that eliminate the auxiliary fan as a possible cause?

Thanks,

Mark

Jeff N.
06-20-2004, 10:51 PM
No. But a thin 32mm wrench helps. Best tool is a 32mm bicycle wrench. (32mm for an M30, I'm assuming it's the same for an M20).

ScottyWM
06-21-2004, 06:59 AM
predetermined coolant temps even if the AC is not on. I think it's about 190°F for low speed and 215° for high speed. At least that's how it is on the M50.

Check the fuses. Check (when cool) the aux fan to make sure it turns freely. Then get the car warmed up and see if it kicks in. Could be something else entirely. Just don't drive it way hot!!

I had just called BMA last week about a fan clutch - it would've been $92. Local shops would charge about $170 + labor for it.

rickm
06-21-2004, 07:22 AM
Speaking of a 32mb bike wrench:
http://www.parktool.com/store/index.cgi?action=show_products&category=d

The HCW-7 is only 3 bucks and has both a 30 and a 32.

mancini_mark
06-21-2004, 10:13 AM
Ok, I'll check the aux fan...so all I need is a flat wrench and about $100? That's not too bad...won't sink the ship.

Thanks

JonE
06-21-2004, 03:19 PM
Yah, my AC wasn't working but the aux. fan was, even when I pressed the AC switch. I am also starting to overheat in traffic, the aux fan comes on and on "high" when about 3/4 but I don't want to rely on that to cool down the engine. An indy also mentioned that my fan clutch was "freewheeling" and he STRONGLY suggested that the clutch be replaced. I guess it is the next thing on my repair list. Time to start looking for the flat wrench.