PDA

View Full Version : Where is water getting in my highbeam's?

Jeff N.
11-25-2013, 11:55 AM
Somehow, water is getting into my highbeam lights. Both of them. No cracks in the lenses.

Original lamps were recently swapped out for this used, OE set. (Originals were cracked).

Somehow I'm getting quite a bit of moisture in the lens unit. Is there some trick here?

Jeff

632 Regal
11-26-2013, 12:20 PM
Ellipsoid or conventional? There could be a leak between the lens and body of the light.

Jeff N.
11-26-2013, 01:56 PM
Hi Jeff,

The highbeams are all the same - no ellipsoid possible. I thought about a seam leak but it seems unlikely on both don't you think?

shogun
11-26-2013, 06:56 PM
All E34 and E32 headlights have a tiny drain hole at the bottom of the reflector, they are not 100% sealed. If sealed they would get too hot. Normally if there is moisture inside the lights, after a certain time when the lights are on this moisture will disappear. If there is too much moisture inside, then maybe the glue between reflector and glass is damaged.

Jeff N.
11-27-2013, 12:07 AM
Hi Shogun - thanks for the note. I have wondered if the water is getting in thru the vents. Yes, I have seen those. They are angled down but is there a left and a right? Maybe some odd pressure or something if the lamps are reversed? Can't recall if that's possible. Or, yes, maybe the glue between the two unit is bad. But it would be odd for both of them to fail, no?

All E34 and E32 headlights have a tiny drain hole at the bottom of the reflector, they are not 100% sealed. If sealed they would get too hot. Normally if there is moisture inside the lights, after a certain time when the lights are on this moisture will disappear. If there is too much moisture inside, then maybe the glue between reflector and glass is damaged.

shogun
11-27-2013, 10:43 AM
Maybe the drain holes are clogged? I have read that some people enlarge that small drain hole to 2 mm, not sure if that is better.

Jeff N.
11-27-2013, 10:44 AM
I guess I'm going to have to pull them out and see what's up. :(

632 Regal
12-01-2013, 06:24 AM
Sorry about the ellipsoid Q, forgot you were regular. Has to be either a drain problem or seal. Both at once? yes I do see a possibility.