PDA

View Full Version : Ratcheting Breaker Bar repair question

shogun
11-24-2013, 10:43 AM
I have a 1/2" Drive 18" Ratcheting Breaker Bar (3-way ratcheting action,right- and left-hand and locked), brand unkown, price was around $25 , so probably not best quality, but I use it quite often.
I already had twice the experience that the left/right reversible ratcheting mechanics got stuck, either in one direction or completely = locked.
Unfortunately it is not a brand tool and no lifetime warranty, so I would like to repair it.
Typical description of such a tool is as reference only:
This ratcheting breaker bar features left/right reversible ratcheting action for the torque of a breaker bar with the speed and convenience of a ratchet! The rugged ..-tooth ratchet locks in place for use as a traditional breaker and the ratchet head swivels 180 degrees.
•Rugged 36 tooth ratchet locks in place for use as a traditional breaker
•Left/right reversible ratcheting action
•Ratchet head swivels 180 degrees
-----------------
Apparently the head locks always and cannot be turned left/right. Have already tried to spray some oil into the head thru the tiny clearance, once it worked again but now it is stuck.
Has anybody ever disassembled such a head and repaired it? If so, how?
How can it be diassembled?
Thanks

Ross
12-02-2013, 06:15 PM
Can you post up a picture?
Some of the inexpensive ratchets use a spiral locking ring to retain the ratcheting mechanism, unwind it and you'll be able to clean and lube it. On others there is a spring that pushes against the ball which positions the lever. Stretching the spring makes it less susceptible to popping out of position when a tough bolt breaks loose.

shogun
12-02-2013, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the info. It is Pittsburgh PRO CR-V
Specifications
Name 1/2" Drive 18" Ratcheting Breaker Bar
SKU 67957
Brand Pittsburgh Pro
Certification ANSI
Finish Chrome
Material Vanadium Steel
Swivel head Yes
Drive size (in.) 1/2 in.
Overall Length (in.) 18 in.

It says Lifetime warranty, but for the $ 19.99 I bought it for, I even cannot ship it back to USA, so I want to repair it here, here is a pic
1/2" Drive 18" Ratcheting Breaker Bar (http://www.harborfreight.com/12-drive-18-ratcheting-breaker-bar-67957.html)

Let me know how to disassemble it and I will do it. You mention some can be unwind: which direction, is that left or right hand thread?

TechnoWeeny
12-03-2013, 05:14 AM
Interesting, never seen a ratcheting breaker bar before Shogun. I would have thought it would be susceptible to locking up if you are using the sort of force that can be required to loosen a nut or bolt, where you'd normally use a conventional breaker bar for. It looks very similar in design to a Snap-On tool (which I use out of preference) but never seen or heard f a ratcheting one though.
I paid $106 for mine though and its not a ratchet type, but very similar design handle wise.
see the pic here..... GSN18B, Breaker Bar, 18" (http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=3dall&item_ID=641440&group_ID=674897&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog)

Thanks for the info. It is Pittsburgh PRO CR-V
Specifications
Name 1/2" Drive 18" Ratcheting Breaker Bar
SKU 67957
Brand Pittsburgh Pro
Certification ANSI
Finish Chrome
Material Vanadium Steel
Swivel head Yes
Drive size (in.) 1/2 in.
Overall Length (in.) 18 in.

It says Lifetime warranty, but for the $ 19.99 I bought it for, I even cannot ship it back to USA, so I want to repair it here, here is a pic
1/2" Drive 18" Ratcheting Breaker Bar (http://www.harborfreight.com/12-drive-18-ratcheting-breaker-bar-67957.html)

Let me know how to disassemble it and I will do it. You mention some can be unwind: which direction, is that left or right hand thread?