PDA

View Full Version : I Need a Fuel Tank - Sources?

Dave M
11-14-2013, 07:07 PM
My tank imploded (negative pressure) and also leaks, so I think after 600,000+ km, the e34 deserves a new one.

BavAuto shows em for ~$650 plus shipping and realoem shows a price of $466, but I dont see much more. Any ideas? I would only buy a used tank from a fellow forum member. Anyone have a decent one?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

mattyb
11-15-2013, 07:50 AM
hi Dave, nick (Genfreak) just got hold of a wrecker 540 ( front end damage only), and maybe he doesn't need the tank. I don't know about shipping used fuel tanks to Canada but im sure he would do his very best if possible to help out a forum member. shipping from Australia would not be to hefty by sea I should imagine. Maybe PM Genfreak and check it out. ill be speaking to him next few days so ill ask. regards Matt

Dave M
11-15-2013, 09:09 AM
I have a feeling the combined sea/land freight might make this a bit pricey, but I do appreciate you thinking of me. If you end up getting speaking with Nick and/or get a shipping estimate, please let me know.

Dave

jfs356
11-15-2013, 09:12 AM
Too bad you are not in US, I have seen lots of good tanks on E34s at the salvage yards I frequent, particularly in the South where
they are rust free. Probably no more than $50.00.....

Dave M
11-15-2013, 09:37 PM
Yeah, I've checked wrecker websites and have a US shipping address (I'm <1h from the border). If I could see one to verify its good, I'd have no issues buying used. Someone wanna source one for me...... ;)

DAve

Dave M
11-15-2013, 09:37 PM
Yeah, I've checked wrecker websites and have a US shipping address (I'm <1h from the border). If I could see one to verify its good, I'd have no issues buying used. Someone wanna source one for me...... ;)

DAve

shogun
11-16-2013, 12:14 AM
I PMed you the phone number of Rich in Vancouver, he has some good contacts to some yards, maybe he can help you.

mattyb
11-16-2013, 07:39 AM
i thought they were all plastic, mine is

Dave M
11-16-2013, 09:18 AM
I PMed you the phone number of Rich in Vancouver, he has some good contacts to some yards, maybe he can help you.

Thanks so much Erich. I emailed Rich, we'll see what happens.

Dave M
11-16-2013, 09:19 AM
i thought they were all plastic, mine is

Apparently not. I've never seen a plastic one.

jfs356
11-16-2013, 02:09 PM
Just looked at mine (94 530i), it is metal. If you have to source one from the US, there are lots of BMW-only salvage yards, where you should be able to get one reasonably. One place I know of in Atlanta, where the cars would all be rust free. This guy is local (Ohio) and will pull the tank himself, might be
worth looking into:

1994 bmw 530i part out or sell whole (http://dayton.craigslist.org/pts/4166377009.html)

ryan roopnarine
11-20-2013, 12:10 AM

DAve

www.car-part.com (http://www.car-part.com) and use the zipcode of your us shipping address as a search center.
The most expensive one I see in WA state is 142 with most being less; you could probably get away with 50$ or less at a u-pick-u-pull type place but the listed ones are already removed from the car for you.

Dave M
11-20-2013, 12:04 PM
www.car-part.com (http://www.car-part.com) and use the zipcode of your us shipping address as a search center.
The most expensive one I see in WA state is 142 with most being less; you could probably get away with 50$ or less at a u-pick-u-pull type place but the listed ones are already removed from the car for you.

Thans Ryan. Shogun set me up with a guy in Vancouver who set me up with another guy on Van Island who set me up with a nice rust free tank :D I don't mind paying a bit extra for a good tank that I don't have to fetch from the US.

Ross
12-02-2013, 06:06 PM
Looks like still available through BMW, for less than BavAuto
RealOEM.com * BMW E34 535i METAL FUEL TANK (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD23&mospid=47408&btnr=16_0187&hg=16&fg=05)

Dave M
12-02-2013, 09:34 PM
Looks like still available through BMW, for less than BavAuto
RealOEM.com * BMW E34 535i METAL FUEL TANK (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD23&mospid=47408&btnr=16_0187&hg=16&fg=05)

Still hoping to get a good used one, but will try the dealer if all else fails.

Thanks Ross

Bill R.
12-06-2013, 12:18 AM
You still haven't got one yet? The local Upullit junkyards have been crushing e34's like they're going out of style lately. Local cars, no rust. The last one i looked at had almost perfect front seats, they crushed it before i got back out there a few days later . With scrap metal prices where they are they aren't keeping them long..... They crushed 5 volvo 850 turbo wagons that i had my eye on for parts in one week.

azale
12-07-2013, 10:45 PM
I am thinking of parting out my e34. I'm in Detroit, but I have some peeps in Iron Mountain who could probably drag it up there if you wanted to go for a drive around the Lake. Unfortunately, mine probably isn't in perfect condition. But I thought I would at least toss that Idea out there. :)

genphreak
12-26-2013, 07:18 PM
Why not upgrade to a plastic tank? If getting a newie you could get all the ancillaries you need at the same time and price from a breaker. Plastic is lighter and doesn't rust inside at all. They are certainly very durable. I imagine BMW used plastic to reduce weight out back depending on the drive-line weight distribution/engine and trans config. On some e34 chassis with M20 and M50 they put the battery up-front too, from what I have seen of euro cars here in Australia, this is done with a steel tank out back where most have plastic tanks. BUT then again- it seems to defeat the purpose. Maybe they just the put battery up front on all e34s fitted with a steel tank. If so, maybe tank material was varied to meet local regulations?

Here in Australia we may get so our requirements can be appended to existing production runs scheduled for larger markets. Regardless, a plastic tank and battery under back seat is certainly the best configuration.

PS, Dave M, I certainly do have a spare plastic tank- but the thing to watch for is the breather pipes that are incorporated around the periphery- they go rusty in places where people put salt on the roads. Damn stupid idea- they should simply stop driving in the cold weather and walk... or use sleighs or something. Shipping it to Canada will cost far more than buying one there... removal is easy, just disconnect the pipes, wires and supporting straps. It drops down and out (along with a sea of dust and debris). Tank is yours for free unless it needs my effort to get it to a shipping agent.

Certainly not worth dipping your M5 in salt to get to ****ing work one day to then think it is then rusting away from then on. Bottom line is, if you have a decent car where they use salt on the roads, you need a winter beater...

John B.
12-26-2013, 09:31 PM
I ended up restoring the tank in our 535i last year. It had rusted through on top where the breather pipe comes out so every time we filled the tank & parked on an incline you could smell the fuel. When I pulled it out I saw that the filler neck also had a few holes & one of the breather pipes was rusted off. Looked at the price of a new one & used ones shipped up from down south but decided I'd just fix it. Sandblasted it clean, brazed in the holes (after draining, air drying & rinsing well), brazed on a new breather tube & then etched the tank. Once dry I applied two coats of Mastercoat Rust Sealer http://www.masterseriescoatings.com/index/products/primer/ to the entire outside & inside where I'd brazed in the holes. This stuff hardens up like rock similar to POR15 but without the UV issues. Before reinstalling I liberal coated the areas that I can't access on the lift with Waxoyl. The tank will now probably out live the rest of the car.

genphreak
12-27-2013, 02:50 AM
Now that sounds like the perfect fix! Nice.

None of which has to be done when you score a car with a plastic tank in the first place though. I may do a plastic tank conversion on my 525 as I have a tank from a 540 here too. If it reduces weight in the rear a little it'll be a boon. Will post a how-to when I do it...

bimmerd00d
12-27-2013, 10:25 AM
It would appear that all US cars (I think) received a steel tank. Here's an example, a '90 525iA RHD that has a plastic tank according to realoem.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HC22&mospid=47373&btnr=16_0041&hg=16&fg=05

genphreak
12-27-2013, 05:58 PM
It would appear that all US cars (I think) received a steel tank. Here's an example, a '90 525iA RHD that has a plastic tank according to realoem- http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HC22&mospid=47373&btnr=16_0041&hg=16&fg=05

That's a non-US car, right? Must be regulations, then. But many US cars have batteries under the rear seat. Steel tanks make a large weight difference, I wonder how they keep correct 50/50 weight distribution on the US models...

Bill R.
12-28-2013, 10:10 PM
The difference in the steel 81 liter and the plastic 80 liter is 2.2lbs or one kilo.... not that much.

genphreak
12-31-2013, 06:55 PM
I couldn't believe it so just checked and its actually 2.24kg/5lbs, but it's still peanuts!

Plastic fuel tank

16 11 1 179 436 (http://2009.bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/16111179436/)

80L

13.000 kg / 28.66 lb

Metal fuel tank

16 11 1 178 942 (http://2009.bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/16111178942/)

81L

15.242 kg / 33.603 lb

So it's all about local regulations or production cost/availability then?

Dave M
01-03-2014, 11:03 AM
FWIW, found a tank in Toronto. $110, looks OK, will be POR-15'ing the seem and a few other small rust spots ASAP.

632 Regal
01-03-2014, 09:32 PM
And now the fun begins. I put a replacement on mine and had to pull it and do it again. I have absolutely no tricks to help you. It IS easier than replacing a heater core I am sure. Check the little vent tubes, mine looked good until I filled it up. A little silicone actually worked very well.

Dave M
01-06-2014, 07:19 PM
And now the fun begins. I put a replacement on mine and had to pull it and do it again. I have absolutely no tricks to help you. It IS easier than replacing a heater core I am sure. Check the little vent tubes, mine looked good until I filled it up. A little silicone actually worked very well.

Thanks for the good news Jeff. I've replaced tanks on other vehicles, but they were smaller and had fewer vents. I'll be sure to check that vent tubes are clear. What did you use the silcone for?

Dave

632 Regal
01-06-2014, 11:36 PM
To seal the micro rust holes where the tubes go into the tank, found out at first fill up.

I think the hardest part is getting the filler neck up through to where it belongs, I couldn't find the right angle for it to 'slide' into place. And once it is there I realized that the straps wouldn't line up due to the insulation pad thing moving from where it is supposed to stay. Back down it comes.

BMWFatherFigure
01-15-2014, 10:05 PM
I've only seen plastic. Maybe it is a country design rule thing.

Jehu
01-18-2014, 03:41 PM
New tanks are still available. I recently ordered one through Bavarian Autosport since I could pick it up. It took a couple of months on back-order so they may be scarce.

Cost me around $550 but I was never able anywhere within pick up distance to find a used metal tank anywhere near rust free enough to consider worthwhile.

This is the second new metal tank I've obtained in two years so I should be set for another 30 combined years or so..