PDA

View Full Version : to keep self leveling or not to? this is the question

mattyb
11-06-2013, 07:32 AM
well lads I know I could search this, I admit I haven't as it seems to be a question for the times. opinions change as does experience with all of us with these fine machines so I am putting it out there for the current consensus on this matter. rear shocks are tired and needing to be addressed in the very near future, so if you have an opinion / experience based on your own observations and change over to non lad id like to hear all. just done mounts, front shocks and some other minor stuff like trailing arm links etc so this is the next step after radiator next week which I still have to decide on oem or some other device. look forward to hearing from you chaps. regards mattyb

mattyb
11-06-2013, 08:05 AM
sorry guys, car is 95 540i auto

shogun
11-06-2013, 08:17 AM
In my opinion keep LAD. LAD is not very difficult. When the system becomes older - like other parts on your car - it needs some maintenance. I have done it and I am happy that I did not switch to normal system. BTW: if you want to switch, DIY is on my website.
If you want to keep LAD: in most cases one has to renew the hydraulic pressure hoses, cheaper way is to bring the hoses to a hydraulic shop, they will cut the crimp sleeves, remove the old pressure hose and crimp the new hose with a new crimp sleeve onto the old metal LAD connectors, I have done it, actually I have done it in a shop for hydraulic hoses where one of my friends worked, so I only had to pay for material.
Then come the LAD shocks: there are no repair kits available, but most of the seals are O-rings. Disassemble the shcoks and get the O-rings from a hydaulic shop, again, also for that I have plenty of picks on my website. Disassembling is pretty easy.
The rest? Maybe 2 new pressure acummulators, but you can test them, remove the hydraulic hose, stick a screwdriver inside, it should not go in even under pressure, pressure info on my website. Regulating valve: again, can be repaired, mainly o-rings.

ScottyWM
11-06-2013, 12:37 PM
I lived with one leaky shock for a long time, but when the second started leaking I had to do something. For me it was to remove the LAD and put in standard shocks. I got the package from Bavarian Auto. As I recall, the whole project cost less than one replacement LAD shock (not to mention the bombs and lines that go with it). I was very happy with the results, I hadn't realized how bad the rear was riding until I replaced them.

FWIW, I still have the self leveling shocks I removed if anyone wants to buy and rebuild them. (Don't think shipping to Japan is worth it though Shogun!)

shogun
11-06-2013, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the offer, but I don't need them, have plenty of them here from my parts cars. Even have a new one from old stock from a seller here who ordered by mistake 10 pieces of one side only, as he did not know that left and right are different. Actually only the bushes at the bottom.
For the bushes at the bottom I even can offer replacements, not available anywhere else.
Poly bushes for LAD shocks (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1861531-Poly-bushes-for-LAD-shocks&highlight=lad+bush)
Material Polyurethane PUR Shore 80. The production is not that easy. Poly needs to be cooled with liquid nitrogen before it can be machined on a lathe.

mattyb
11-07-2013, 03:18 AM
thanks all, I think im going to do the harder yards and keep the lad, original as hey bro!

Tiger
11-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Be sure to replace all your springs... weak springs wear out suspension faster.

mattyb
11-07-2013, 06:51 PM
thanx Tiger any recommendation on springs

genphreak
11-10-2013, 06:58 AM
Matty, They are cheap whilst they still have stock:

Pro Kit Buy suspension from Eibach including adjustable suspension and automotive coil springs. (http://www.eibachdirect.com/p/524436/pro-kit-.html)

I also want a set for the LE, but am not sure these kits will fit as they are for LAD not EDC equipped cars.

So check first if they really are the versions for your car; as they may have the part numbers mixed up on the website. They are in Brookvale- I can pick them up sometime if it makes it easier for you - just verify 2040.140 is the right kit for your car.

Also, you will need LAD version of the upper shock mounts- and may need new bump stops and shock covers. If you have self-levelling, replacing the front spring pads with 3mm ones will get you 6mm overall drop on top (if yours presently has 9mm pads) as the LAD will then probably notice and lower the rear similarly ;-)

mattyb
11-10-2013, 07:58 PM
thanx bro, by the way I have the clips so we need to catch up soon

genphreak
11-11-2013, 06:14 AM
Sweet mate. Thank you.

BTW: You are going to need a set of M-tech sway bars- or a pair of Whiteline's like Big Kriss bought a while back... they'll be the best thing you ever did to your e34.

TechnoWeeny
11-19-2013, 01:59 AM
G'day Mattyb,
I have a 540i 95 E34 that I love and so have decided to do a bottom up rebuild. I have no feedback for you at this stage, but I'd be very interested in your findings and decision as to keep or replace LAD and what you think of it after doing so. So please update this thread when you have made you r choice and actioned it.
Kind Regards,
TechnoWeeny