PDA

View Full Version : Trans prog

Jachenbach
10-12-2013, 09:36 AM
Hello again,

1992 525i wagon experienced trans prog and limped home yesterday. Will check fluid level today but question is do I have a transmission control module (AGS or EGS)? Bentley manual does not show until 1993. Is there a relay I should check as well. Thanks Jim

whiskychaser
10-12-2013, 01:27 PM
Hello again,

1992 525i wagon experienced trans prog and limped home yesterday. Will check fluid level today but question is do I have a transmission control module (AGS or EGS)? Bentley manual does not show until 1993. Is there a relay I should check as well. Thanks Jim
Yes, you have a TCM and it stores a fault code if you get transprog. Have the fault code(s) read and that will point you in the right direction. It could be something as simple as a low battery. But to save time and money swapping bits, I'd suggest you check the codes. It is why they are there and what the dealer would do

Jachenbach
10-12-2013, 04:04 PM
Thank you

shogun
10-12-2013, 05:33 PM
All have a TCU. Depending on the engine type most of the TCU modules are in the e-box right side engine room under the black cover along with the Motronic etc., but some like my E32 750 have the TCU inside the car right side/passenger side footwell behind the speaker, because of no space in the e-box, as the 750 has 2 Motronic and in addition the EML module.
You can find the location in the relevant ETM E34 (1988 to 1995 5 Series) Wiring Diagrams (http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW/e34/)
under component location views towards the end of the ETM there are even pictures of all those components, just take your time to go thru the ETM, that are not only wiring diagrams.

whiskychaser
10-13-2013, 04:25 AM
That is a fair point. The TCM on my '92 525i was not in the e-box but behind the right hand floor speaker too.

Jachenbach
10-22-2013, 04:30 PM
Found out the problem is oil pressure regulator from the trans prog error code
my next step is to replace the TCM any other ideas?

Thanks,

jim

shogun
10-22-2013, 04:50 PM
Which oil pressure regulator? For transmission oil? There are solenoids inside the valve body which control the oil flow in the valve body and the various clutch packs. These can fail as they can get stuck due to dirt inside the valve body or other reasons. But in such a case a replacement of the TCU will not solve the problem. The valve body has to be cleaned and the valves have to be repaired or at least tested.

whiskychaser
10-23-2013, 09:46 AM
You will have the A4S310R auto box. If you have code 40 it could be just a software issue. They were set a bit sensitive when they were made and there was an update. If it isnt software, it may well be the pressure solenoid itself. If you havent already seen it, maybe check this out:
http://www.europeantransmissions.com/Bulletin/DTC.BMW/01-31.pdf

Jachenbach
10-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Thank you both, I am changing transmission oil and filter today, looking for a TCM that is GA based on my VIN. Will look for grounds as well. I will update with my progress. Thanks again,Jim

Jachenbach
10-24-2013, 04:44 PM
Bad news, appears that there was water contamination at one time in the transmission. Lots of sludge. Going to flush as much as I can, replace oil and filter drive for 100 miles and drain oil and see if it starts to clear up. Just purchased the car a few months ago and started to fix up. There is a new radiator which leads me to believe that may have been the source of water intrusion.

whiskychaser
10-24-2013, 05:26 PM
Water inside the transmission messes up the friction surfaces and rusts the steel parts. Sadly, it is normally terminal. If you can breathe life back into it, you are a hero. If you cant, it seems everybody and his dog on your side of the pond wants to get rid of that box and install a manual. So you can probably pick up a replacement at a very reasonable price. Euro cars didnt get the GM box so there are far fewer people who want to make the swap over here

Jachenbach
10-25-2013, 07:57 AM
Thanks I will keep my eyes open for a replacement.

thanks all, jim