PDA

View Full Version : Replacement keys

ncbeachbum
08-17-2013, 07:43 PM
I lost one of my keys last week and need some replacements. Any online shops sell these? The stealer here is too high. All I need is a plain key, no light, nothing fancy, just a key. Contacted BMA but they've not responded back. No word from Pelican Parts, either.

shogun
08-17-2013, 11:14 PM
what BMW model and built year do you have? With EWS with the chip inside or without?
If without, just buy on the auction house *bay a BMW key blank and bring it to a locksmith specialized on car keys to make a copy. But of course you still have to have a spare.
Ot find the next car locksmith in your area Find a Locksmith (http://www.findalocksmith.com/)

If no spare to make a copy, the fastest is your local BMW dealer, he can order one from BMW to git your doorlocks and ignition.

ncbeachbum
08-18-2013, 06:54 AM
what BMW model and built year do you have? With EWS with the chip inside or without?
If without, just buy on the auction house *bay a BMW key blank and bring it to a locksmith specialized on car keys to make a copy. But of course you still have to have a spare.
Ot find the next car locksmith in your area Find a Locksmith (http://www.findalocksmith.com/)

If no spare to make a copy, the fastest is your local BMW dealer, he can order one from BMW to git your doorlocks and ignition.

It's a 1994 525i. Not sure if it has the EWS chip or not. I'll call around on Monday then will order a couple of blanks. The last time I think I faxed BMA a copy of my title and ID and they had one sent to me but it's been a while.

genphreak
08-18-2013, 10:40 AM
If your key has a transponder chip in it (you can't really tell) the ignition key barrel will have a transponder antenna ring around it. Eg. instead of being a 30-35mm diameter black brass bezel, it will be a 45mm+ plastic one. If you have that, you will need a transponder key. Suggest you earch for some recent threads in this forum re others having key trouble...