PDA

View Full Version : E34 / 540i M60 Trans program code - what to check ?

Vangsoe
07-23-2013, 12:54 PM
Hi guys,
I am new to this forum, but not new to cars..56 years old, car mechanic ( back in the 80´) and later mechanical engineer.
My belowed BMW 540i 1994 M60 had a big bang...camshaft chain actually broke and smashed much of the engine block in the front...found a nice M60 from a 1996 840.
It sure did take some time, but this sunday i fired her up, after cranking without sparkplugs for 3 x 20 seconds to get a nice oilpressure ( Castrol Edge 10W60 of course :) ).
Now - i noticed that first time i turned the ignition on, the display showed "Oil level sensor" - Transmission program" - but i knew that she had about 8 liters of oil, so i fired her up. Ran like 10 minutes. Stopped and checked everything for leaks etc. All checked out fine, so after connecting the oil level sensor connector ( which i had forgotten ), i took her out for a spin.
Still says "Transmission program" in the display, and she is defenetly in limp mode...only 3rd and reverse...
I only have a simple OBDII reader, and the ECM has not stored any codes...hmmmm......
Started checking all the sensors, connectors, sockets etc. that can be checked with an ohm meter - ia crank- and camshaftsensor, TPC. temp sensor etc., and they all check out fine...all wiring, connectors etc. looks fine and have all been cleaned with electrical spray cleaner
Still the same...
Engine fires up immediately...running quite low at idle, but run smooth and clean with no backfire or anything - but the first couple of millimeters i press the pedal, nothing happens...then all of a sudden engine is reving up...this happens all the time - also when driving...quite annoying :)
The transmission is the auto 5HP30 ( A5S560Z) and has done like 140000 miles - so this is actually only just broken in.
One thing i must mention is the fact that none of the knock sensors are connected...reason beeing that the 4 knock sensors on the new engine are with a 2 pin connector - and the ones on the old engine ( all cracked ) are with 3 pin connectors, and quite frankly i did not notice this untill i had the engine all assembled and thrown into the engine bay....my bad - i know - maybe because i am such an old guy :)
I spoke to a BMW workshop today, and they guy i talked to, seemed to know what he was talking about - and according to him, the fact that no knocksensors are connected, should not cause a Transmission Program code / limp mode....i ordered new knocksensors - but i have to get them from Germany ( i am in Denmark ) and because summer holiday season has just started in Germany, its a 2-3 weeks delivery time....and since i am actually going on holidy myself next week - with my 1.5 ton caravan - i sure would like to know if any of you guys, have an idea for me to check out.
The AFM is only about 6 months old. New spark plugs of course, and all ignitors are fine..
Any input appreciated guys - and yes - i have spent a couple of hours reading through this exelent forum with regard to my problem / challenge.
Best regards from Denmark
Niels Vangsoe

whiskychaser
07-23-2013, 01:21 PM
Hi guys,
I am new to this forum, but not new to cars..56 years old, car mechanic ( back in the 80´) and later mechanical engineer.
My belowed BMW 540i 1994 M60 had a big bang...camshaft chain actually broke and smashed much of the engine block in the front...found a nice M60 from a 1996 840.
It sure did take some time, but this sunday i fired her up, after cranking without sparkplugs for 3 x 20 seconds to get a nice oilpressure ( Castrol Edge 10W60 of course :) ).
Now - i noticed that first time i turned the ignition on, the display showed "Oil level sensor" - Transmission program" - but i knew that she had about 8 liters of oil, so i fired her up. Ran like 10 minutes. Stopped and checked everything for leaks etc. All checked out fine, so after connecting the oil level sensor connector ( which i had forgotten ), i took her out for a spin.
Still says "Transmission program" in the display, and she is defenetly in limp mode...only 3rd and reverse...
I only have a simple OBDII reader, and the ECM has not stored any codes...hmmmm......
Started checking all the sensors, connectors, sockets etc. that can be checked with an ohm meter - ia crank- and camshaftsensor, TPC. temp sensor etc., and they all check out fine...all wiring, connectors etc. looks fine and have all been cleaned with electrical spray cleaner
Still the same...
Engine fires up immediately...running quite low at idle, but run smooth and clean with no backfire or anything - but the first couple of millimeters i press the pedal, nothing happens...then all of a sudden engine is reving up...this happens all the time - also when driving...quite annoying :)
The transmission is the auto 5HP30 ( A5S560Z) and has done like 140000 miles - so this is actually only just broken in.
One thing i must mention is the fact that none of the knock sensors are connected...reason beeing that the 4 knock sensors on the new engine are with a 2 pin connector - and the ones on the old engine ( all cracked ) are with 3 pin connectors, and quite frankly i did not notice this untill i had the engine all assembled and thrown into the engine bay....my bad - i know - maybe because i am such an old guy :)
I spoke to a BMW workshop today, and they guy i talked to, seemed to know what he was talking about - and according to him, the fact that no knocksensors are connected, should not cause a Transmission Program code / limp mode....i ordered new knocksensors - but i have to get them from Germany ( i am in Denmark ) and because summer holiday season has just started in Germany, its a 2-3 weeks delivery time....and since i am actually going on holidy myself next week - with my 1.5 ton caravan - i sure would like to know if any of you guys, have an idea for me to check out.
The AFM is only about 6 months old. New spark plugs of course, and all ignitors are fine..
Any input appreciated guys - and yes - i have spent a couple of hours reading through this exelent forum with regard to my problem / challenge.
Best regards from Denmark
Niels Vangsoe

I'll make a long story much shorter. Read the TCM codes and if you dont know what they mean, report back

Vangsoe
07-23-2013, 01:52 PM
Hi buddy,
I tried the proceedure with ign ON and pressing speeder 5 times quickly - but nothing happens to the engine light....and as i wrote: No fault codes stored in the ECM according the the OBDII reader i have...
But i guess i am missing something here -could you fill me in ?
Tks again
Niels Vangsoe

MBXB
07-23-2013, 06:48 PM
Try the 'shogun reboot'
Disconnect battery, let the residual charge drain off, all the computers default to their factory programming, reconnect battery.

shogun
07-23-2013, 06:52 PM
Nils, the stomp test does not work on EURO spec cars. so 5 x pressing the accell pedal will not give you any result. Besides that the stomp test will not show you any detailed fault code for the transmission, it is mainly emission/engine related.
What whiskychaser means is to read the TCU transmission control unit fault codes and that should be done with a good fault code tester as your BMW shop has it.

I hope you get the parts from Germany in time, just read on the German forum that there are a lot of delays in delivery at the moment with spare parts from the central storage in Dingolfing. as they changed the software. The switch to the new software should have been completed within May, but apparently still probs there which cause delays.

Have you checked with Schmiedmann in Denmark, they apprently have a large stock inventory
Schmiedmann - Styling/Tuning/Spare parts for BMW - New parts (http://www.schmiedmann.com/)

Address: Sandvadvej 9, 5210 Odense, Denmark

Phone:+45 65 94 15 45
Hours:Tuesday hours 8:00 am–5:00 pm

Vangsoe
07-23-2013, 11:46 PM
Hi guys,
Your feedback is much appreciated - tks !
TCM - Transmission Codes - of course...not ECM codes...dooh...
Ramon: i tried the "Shogun reboot" several times..no luck..
Shogun: Yes - i kow Scmiedmann ( German name but Danish company ) and also Koed.dk - but they only have the apparent newer model KS with 2 pins.
Any other ideas - pls lmk.
Tks again
Niels Vangsoe

shogun
07-24-2013, 02:49 AM
then contact Klaus in Broager and talk to him
Sundeved Autohandel, Broager, Smedevej 8, 74461960 (http://broager.cylex.dk/firma/sundeved-autohandel/11720326.html)
he is very active on the German 7-forum and knows especially the older E34 and E32 very well, excellent reputation among the guys in Germany which even drive to Denmark to get their car repaired there. It is a one man repair shop.
Tell him I recommended his shop. He knows me very well.

Vangsoe
07-24-2013, 03:53 AM
Hi Guys, Tks for the info Shogun....i just came back from an autorized BMW dealer....cost me 180 us to get all codes in Engine and Transmission ECU cleared - and that did the job !! She now runs perfectly...Tks Again for your kind support. Best regards from Denmark Niels Vangsoe

shogun
07-24-2013, 04:04 AM
so just clearing all the faults from the memory solved the problem? Or did they repair something?

whiskychaser
07-24-2013, 04:22 AM
so just clearing all the faults from the memory solved the problem? Or did they repair something?

My thoughts too. As it was a BMW dealer, you should have received a printout with the fault codes on it. I have a feeling you might want to keep that handy

genphreak
07-24-2013, 08:47 AM
IIRC the Limp mode trigger can be cleared by the DIS, in the TCM. It won't clear itself, as it ensures that the dealer will have the car returned to them before anyone else can try anything and cause costly trans damage (and the potential for more warranty claims requiring trans replacement)

whiskychaser
07-24-2013, 09:51 AM
IIRC the Limp mode trigger can be cleared by the DIS, in the TCM. It won't clear itself, as it ensures that the dealer will have the car returned to them before anyone else can try anything and cause costly trans damage (and the potential for more warranty claims requiring trans replacement)
You dont need to clear the fault codes(s) stored to get rid of transprog. You just need to fix the problem and turn the ignition off and on again. If the TCM no longer sees a problem, it will not store a code or throw transprog.

A couple of examples:
If you had a low battery you could get transprog and it would show all the way to a dealers. During the drive, you could be charging the battery so by the time you get there you dont have a fault any more. Next time you turn the ignition on, hey presto, no more transprog.
Turning the ignition off and on will sometimes clear a speed sensor problem when it is in the early stages of failure. But it will get worse until you get transprog all the time.

Vangsoe
07-24-2013, 01:46 PM
Hi guys,
There were several fault codes of course..main ones with regard to the transmission were bad connectors ??
No serious trans faults.
Then the engine KS as i knew about and also one of the CO sensors.
The guy claimed that he could not do a print.....and as a "normal" customer, you are not even allowed in the workshop while they work on your car....i can understand that after paying 180 bucks for just plugging in a computer and tapping a bit...no repairs what so ever...
But what caused the main ECU to go into "Transmission failure" - or limp mode - no idea and neither did they have at BMW....so it must have been related to the fact that i changed the engine and had all wiring etc. appart...
I sure just hope it wont happen again :)
Best regards
Niels Vangsoe

whiskychaser
07-25-2013, 11:28 AM
I'm sure it is mentioned above but the TCM controls the 'transmission failure' (aka 'transprog') and not the engine ECU. OK, I have DIS but if I had paid a lot of money for a diagnostic, I wouldnt be very happy walking away without it. That said, if you are happy with the result then that is all that counts :-)

Vangsoe
07-26-2013, 12:21 AM
I know what you mean Whiskeychaser - but at this stage i was just happy getting back on the road with a working BMW....
Tks again
Niels