PDA

View Full Version : Oil in Cylinders during Storage?

BlackOnBlack
07-12-2013, 11:01 AM
All,
My 525 hasn't been run since the end of May because it needs a fuel pump.
I wont' have the money for it until mid August.
Car runs well (when running).
I've kept the battery charged and once a week I've been cranking it thinking it would help to keep it loose and oil circulated.

Should I continue to do this? If so, should I squirt a little oil in the spark plug holes?
Is there something else I should do?

I know I should have asked earlier...
M50; 240k miles.
Thanks,
Steve

redled
07-12-2013, 12:53 PM
if you are just cranking the engine its useless because engine oil will not circulate to lubricate parts inside the engine and putting even a small amount of oil in each cylinder will create another problem like oil sludge inside the cylinder once you run the engine.

Tiger
07-12-2013, 04:43 PM
No need to crank engine over. No need to put oil in spark plug holes.

Entire fuel pump unit is only $98 or $119 at rockauto.com... don't know why it would take so long for you to replace them... You can even use 5% off coupon to save more... just google coupon.

whiskychaser
07-13-2013, 10:26 AM
Nothing wrong with a bit of preventive maintenance. A teaspoon full of oil down the plug holes a la compression test will not do any harm. But with 240k on the clock you have probably lost a bit down past the valve guides and dont need to add any? Of course, with a lot of oil in the cylinders the car will not want to start when you have fixed the fuel pump. So I wouldnt bother turning it over any more. As Tiger says, fix the fuel pump. Then you dont have to worry about corrosion and you get to drive the car :-)

BlackOnBlack
07-14-2013, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the advice guys.
Wow, eye opener and dope slap.
I usually get my parts at the local O'reilly's.

On Tiger's advice, I looked at Rockauto.
Airtex E8234M Fuel pump - Rockauto $176.99; O'Reilly's: $272.99;

and for my Suburban:
Dorman 924304 Door Check Strap - Rockauto $28.89; O'Reilly's $57.99;

I'm taking the printouts up to O'Reilly's today to ask them what's up with that! If they won't match the price, I'll order from Rockauto online.

Again, thanks for the help.

Tiger
07-14-2013, 10:54 AM
Don't forget 5% off coupon... that is easily found online.

whiskychaser
07-14-2013, 11:44 AM
Don't forget 5% off coupon... that is easily found online.
I can sometimes get cheaper bits (and often faster) from Germany than from the UK. I realise that one side of the US to the other is about as far as from my house to Baghdad. But do you look at importing parts or is the distance not worth the hassle if things go pear shaped? Not looking for business - I am just curious

Tiger
07-14-2013, 02:06 PM
I buy majority of my parts online... about 98% of the time. Because majority of the jobs does not impact the drivability of the vehicle, I just place the order and it will be at my door between 2 and 5 days. This is extremely convenient because I can shop many places and not leave my house.

The price saving compared to dealer or local auto parts are enormous and the quality different is also enormous at auto parts stores.... majority of the time auto parts store do not even have the part and have to order it in... so what the heck? I go there... I pay a lot more money for some generic part and I have to come back to pick it up? No... that time alone cost too much. As you know...

Land based shipping is the most affordable... so sometime shipping from USA to UK may not be cost effective if the parts are cheap to begin with. For example, my friend owns a RR and parts in USA are all over the map and crazy expensive and not everyone have everything... so I looked to UK and found a great supplier who has everything we need and very fair price... shipping may be high but we saved about 700 quid even with the shipping cost and all OE grade parts.

Rustam
08-03-2013, 07:04 AM
Here is a nice and effective way to look for cheaper parts.

Say, you need to get part number 26111105398 . I type " bmwbuddy 26111105398 " into google search line and get a list of various vendors that sell this part, ordered by price. Hence, we find that this part costs about $14 at amazon.com , $16 at Amazon.com , $19.19 at autohausaz.com etc...

here : BMW 26111105398 Drive Shaft U-Joint | Compare Prices (http://www.bmwbuddy.com/z/part/26111105398-bmw-drive-shaft-u-joint)