PDA

View Full Version : OBC questions

charlie
06-19-2004, 02:22 PM
My OBC display (clock, etc.) does not light up as of yesterday. The display shows nothing during the daytime, but when I turn on the headlights it faintly displays the info. Has anyone ever had this problem? Is it the whole unit or could it be something simple? any help is appreciated.

BlondGod
06-19-2004, 02:39 PM
I do not have the OBC, but if it has a LCD(Liquid crystal display! it sounds like the backlighting is broke and that some of the interior lights that otherwise illuminates other dials near the OBC filters through the LCD and thus makes it faintly readable. I do not know if it is possible to change the backlighting of an OBC but I would check that out first.

charlie
06-19-2004, 02:52 PM
I do not have the OBC, but if it has a LCD(Liquid crystal display! it sounds like the backlighting is broke and that some of the interior lights that otherwise illuminates other dials near the OBC filters through the LCD and thus makes it faintly readable. I do not know if it is possible to change the backlighting of an OBC but I would check that out first.

thanks, I think I answered my own question (I hope)!

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/Electrical/panel_lights.htm

molesz
06-20-2004, 04:55 AM
Yes there are 3 light bulbs in the OBC. The procedure for changing them is quite easy.
Take out the radio, reach in to whole and on the upper left side of the OBC you will find a lever which by pulling it releases the OBC. Chech the light bulbs (one on the left side of the OBC, one on right and one on the bottom), two from the sides are a backlighting for the LCD display and a bottom one is for the buttons.