PDA

View Full Version : Check control

sharchew
06-02-2013, 05:20 PM
I am getting lights coming up on check control they are Brake Light Dip Beam Lic Plate Light Tail Light this only happens when I turn on the lights. When not using lights it comes up Check Conntrol Ok. Can anyone help please.This has just started 1995 E34 525i. Regards Kevin.

genphreak
06-03-2013, 09:46 AM
An old bulb (they oxidise inside, solder joints fail, etc.). It may work, but be burning too hot and be close to failure.

Or it can be oxidation/contamination on the bulb terminals, connectors or worn terminals on (or in) the bulb itself

I've got plenty of bulbs from my various BMWs that are 20 years old and still work. A few (esp those with black residues inside the bulb from the filament burning up) will upset the CCM if you use them, they are worth chucking out pronto.

Ferrett 1962
06-08-2013, 04:16 AM
I was getting the same message, turns out to be the height adjuster control motors for the headlights were faulty. I read some would give a fault code even though they worked and after unplugging them I get no more fault codes.

LunatiC
06-09-2013, 09:13 PM
+1 on the height adjustment motors, I had this issue on my E34 as well. Just unplugged the motors and zip-tied the cables out of the way. I didn't use them anyway, and error codes on Check Control are all gone now.

sharchew
06-09-2013, 11:50 PM
When you say hieght adjustment motors is this the lights Regards Kevin

shogun
06-10-2013, 12:26 AM
yes, on the EURO, AUS, NZ and some other spec cars there are behind the low beam headlights motors installed for automatic adjustment of the low beam.
These older version motors sometimes make a problem and also there were some mods with good results.
There are about 30 separate, but identical test circuits in the CCM that check everything from your brake lights to the key in the ignition. Every single one of these test circuits is set up as what is known in the business as a "current loop". That means that the system sends a current through the closed loop of the and measures the voltage drop across a precision resistor. If the drop is out of range or the current does not pass through this unit properly (say you have a bad solder joint), you get an error or a potential malfunction. This primarily happens with the cars lighting systems but can extend to others as well.

Some ways to repair this:

open the motor behind the low beams with a dremel tool, inside you will find a SMD capacitor, which is probably dead, replace this one and the problem is solved.
Seal the housing again of the motor with 2 component glue.

or:
standard situation
http://schorsch.breit-seite.net/Stecker_LWR.JPG
install condensator, approx 200-400 nF
http://schorsch.breit-seite.net/Stecker_LWR_Kondensator.JPG

First of all check if the problem is such a motor, disconnect the plugs from the adjustment motors, then you should have no problems.

E34 LKM mod for HID/LED. Fix Bulb Failure Warning
E34 LKM mod for HID/LED. Fix Bulb Failure Warning (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1699696)

sharchew
06-10-2013, 01:27 AM
My car was imported from Japan its a 1995 E34 525i with Vanos Motor

shogun
06-10-2013, 01:43 AM
have not seen here in Japan the version with automatic dip beam motor. But that merely refers to E32.
Ever changed to another CCM check control module?
They also sometimes need resoldering. Here a German instruction, even if you do not understand German, the pics tell you all where to pay special attention for resoldering
http://www.e34-welt.de/tips_tricks/Reparaturanleitung%20CCM%20e34%20e32.pdf

sharchew
06-10-2013, 10:38 PM
I dont know what happened took out the CCM started car put the CCM back in the fault went away confused.

shogun
06-10-2013, 11:31 PM
I assume contact problems at the pins for the CCM were the cause.

That is a general problem. I suggest you pull all fuses, relays and control units and once a year give them a shot with a good electrical contact cleaner/enhancer.
BMW has a good product

Stabilant 22A Electrical Contact Enhancer

Model: All BMW
Complaint:
Connectors which carry low current are more likely to form deposits which affect the resistance of the circuit through the plug connector. Depending upon the particular circuit these deposits can cause malfunctions and consequently activate warning lamps and check control indicators.
Remedy:
Part replacement can temporarily stop the problem.
If the connector is the problem then without disconnecting the connector measure the resistance of the circuit running through the connector to make sure the connector has a high resistance. A good resistor will have close to 0 ohms resistance.
Visually examine the male and female terminals in the connector housing by removing them. Look at the integrity of the wire crimps, and in some male terminals the integrity of the weld of the male pin to the terminal. Then reinstall.
With a zero residue electrical contact cleaner liberally spray the male and female connectors, and allow the air to dry.
Apply Stabilant 22A to both male and female terminals so they are saturated, and reconnect the connectors while they are still wet. When the Stabilant 22A dries it will leave a thin coating of polymer film which is conductive between mating surfaces, and is non-conductive between adjacent pins. It can also prevent the formation of more harmful deposits.

BMW sensor faults and problems (http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=bmw_sensor_faults_and_problem s)

sharchew
06-11-2013, 05:01 PM
Thank you everyone for your help. This is a great site. All the best to you from Invercargill New Zealand.

redled
07-13-2013, 12:18 AM
+1 on the height adjustment motors, I had this issue on my E34 as well. Just unplugged the motors and zip-tied the cables out of the way. I didn't use them anyway, and error codes on Check Control are all gone now.

Is your engine non-vanos or vanos m50?

sharchew
07-13-2013, 12:49 AM
Its a 1995 Vanos motor