PDA

View Full Version : Boot on upper thrust arm is broken- Replace?

Russell
06-19-2004, 10:15 AM
The boot (bottom of arm) on upper thrust arm is broken only on the passenger side. The other side of the car looks ok. I have a very slight ocassional shimmy at 50-60 mph.

Should I repalce the upper thrust arms? Several months ago, my indy (Motorsports, Lexington, KY) said they are starting to wear.

Sort of concerns me as I had a local reputable frame/alignment shop look over my suspension this week. They pronounced everything solid. Only adjusted toe-in on passenger side.

I am looking for a cure for wander. Have tried steering box adjustment and steering column nut under the dash.

I sort of assume if the boot is broken, rapid wear will take place and a loose joint could cause a bit of wander, tire wear (tiny bit of outside feathering on passenger front tire) and vibration on this side of the car. True?

Any help/advice is appreciated.

632 Regal
06-19-2004, 10:35 AM
I would replace them both at the same time, remember to tighten the through bolt while the car is sitting on ramps.

ryan roopnarine
06-19-2004, 10:42 AM
if your saying that the rubber boot around the balljoint is breached, and you aren't too concerned about completely eliminating your shimmy, the HELP! line of generic auto parts has a ball joint boot that will fit, I believe that bavarian AS has one too.

Russell
06-19-2004, 12:49 PM
I assumed replacing both sides. I should have mentioned

Russell
06-19-2004, 12:56 PM
Thanks- It's good to know about the HELP generic balljoint boot.

Shimmy still needs to be eliminated, but the main problem is wander. I think that if a balljoint is loose enough to cause alignment to shift, then it would cause or enhance wandering. I also think/assume that since the balljoint is breached, wear has started. Bottom line, I think I need to replace the Thrust arms on both sides to attack the wander problem..

if your saying that the rubber boot around the balljoint is breached, and you aren't too concerned about completely eliminating your shimmy, the HELP! line of generic auto parts has a ball joint boot that will fit, I believe that bavarian AS has one too.