PDA

View Full Version : 90 535i power loss after valve adjustment & front door that wont lock

underdog25bb
03-31-2013, 01:49 PM
Hi, I was wondering if any one could help me on a few issues i'm having with my 535i. I scanned the archives but i cannot find anything that pinpoints my issues. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

issue 1) upon completing my valve adjustment for the 2nd time, as the first time I had them too big, I put everything back together the same as i did the first time only now Its running rough & while its on ramps & in park when I hit the gas it boggs down. Sometimes my check engine lights on & sometimes its not & i cannot seem to get any engine codes to read when the light is on. I did check my connections to the icv n maf & cant seem to pinpoint anything that looks cracked or where air may be traveling through.

issue 2) My front drivers door wont lock. I can lock & unlock all doors using the front door & the door lock shakes a lil like it wants to go down it just wont. I do have to turn the key twice to lock all the other doors though.

genphreak
04-03-2013, 09:25 PM
Did you replace the gasket after the adjustment? They compress so can introduce air which will cause idle problems.

You can use a sealant (so long as it is oxygen sensor safe) but a new gasket each time is best- and prevents the need to clean next time.

Re the door, the actuator is no longer working. It may be bad, or the mechanism might be jamming. the lock mechanisms need grease after 15 years and if your dorr is full of dirt, they will need to be removed and cleaned first.

underdog25bb
04-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Yes i replaced the gasket, however, i did have a valve stud break on me when i was retightening the cover. I used some jb weld temporarily juss so i could check my valves until the new stud comes in. I'm assuming that maybe thiers some air leaking through theiir which could be my problem, but i was going to check the valves as well one last time to make sure i dont have a few too tight before thats done.

And for the door, should i try & clean & grease the actuator or am i better off just buying a new one?

myles
04-04-2013, 04:12 PM
Did you reconnect the air flow meter correctly? I once forgot to plug it back in after adjusting the valve gaps.

Your door lock actuator might need a little adjustment in its placement against the lock/latch assembly. I had problems with mine many years ago. It had a bracket missing that helps keep the actuator and the lock aligned. I only discovered it was missing after seeing it in a junked car. After fitting the missing bracket it took a couple of attempts at adjusting its position to get it right and it hasn't missed a beat since.

Rustam
04-04-2013, 10:24 PM
Its running rough & while its on ramps & in park when I hit the gas it boggs down. Sometimes my check engine lights on & sometimes its not & i cannot seem to get any engine codes to read when the light is on.

Are the ramps under the front wheels? The inclination of the engine takes the oil level to different position potentially unable to come into the oil pump sufficiently. Also, the actual level of oil with respect to rear cylinders 6,5, and 4 is much higher, making the connecting rods and crank dive in, slowing revolutions immediately as oil is frothed.

To check for engine codes must step 5 times in immediate succession after the key is turned to "ON".