PDA

View Full Version : Opinions-Powerflex or similar subframe bushings?

Russell
01-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Search was helpful but need latest opinions...
I am needing to replace my subframe busings(still have originals). Rather than replace with stock I am considering options. I do not want to kill the ride however. The only options I know of are Powerflex and AKG poly style bushings.

I am considering them mainly because they seem to be much easier to install being two parts that somehow do not need to be pressed in.

However I understand there is potential for squeaks as they need to be lubed during installation and possibly later. I also do not want the ride to be rough with vibrations?
Latest opnions?

RobPatt
01-30-2013, 04:26 PM
Russell I just did mine and love them...
for one, you never know how bad things were until you replace with new...
two, amid all the hype about the job, it's pretty easy if you have a lift and a sawzall...

while I was at it (talking subframe bushes) I did dogbones and rear sway links and the sway bushs too.

my front thrust arms have the powerflex too... all VERY easy to install since they're 2 piece...

I liberally used that copper grease (whatever it was, plus I bought a few more packs of it at autozone for about $1 each)... haven't had a problem w/squeaks... time will tell.

otherwise completely happy, easier than expected, should have done sooner and the price was right... ride is fine... and I've got the sachs kit, 17" wheels... so that makes it a little tight.. but the poly bushes didn't make it any worse.

Rob

Russell
02-01-2013, 08:08 AM
Russell I just did mine and love them...
for one, you never know how bad things were until you replace with new...
two, amid all the hype about the job, it's pretty easy if you have a lift and a sawzall...

while I was at it (talking subframe bushes) I did dogbones and rear sway links and the sway bushs too.

my front thrust arms have the powerflex too... all VERY easy to install since they're 2 piece...

I liberally used that copper grease (whatever it was, plus I bought a few more packs of it at autozone for about $1 each)... haven't had a problem w/squeaks... time will tell.

otherwise completely happy, easier than expected, should have done sooner and the price was right... ride is fine... and I've got the sachs kit, 17" wheels... so that makes it a little tight.. but the poly bushes didn't make it any worse.

Rob

Thanks, I assume these are the yellow Powerflex. How long have they been in the car?

genphreak
02-02-2013, 07:08 PM
They're great, but the M5 ones (not copies or lookalikes) make far less noise. The snag is they are expensive, only last 6-12 years and have to be fitted properly on a hoist that supports the wheels with ramps. Else its very hard to tighten the bolts tighten on the bushes with the car sitting at ride-height.

Plenty of people think near enough is good enough and they fail early or the moment you bounce over a crest or hit a bad dip.

Solid bushes are safe options to fit and give you a very direct feel. If you dislike road drone / value serenity on the freeway though, or do lots of freeway miles, pay for the M5 ones.

RobPatt
02-03-2013, 01:27 PM
fronts in for about 2 years, back subframes in for about 2 months....

Russell
02-04-2013, 09:26 AM
They're great, but the M5 ones (not copies or lookalikes) make far less noise. The snag is they are expensive, only last 6-12 years and have to be fitted properly on a hoist that supports the wheels with ramps. Else its very hard to tighten the bolts tighten on the bushes with the car sitting at ride-height.

Plenty of people think near enough is good enough and they fail early or the moment you bounce over a crest or hit a bad dip.

Solid bushes are safe options to fit and give you a very direct feel. If you dislike road drone / value serenity on the freeway though, or do lots of freeway miles, pay for the M5 ones.

Are the M5 subframe bushings different than Non M busihings on the e34? I am thinking you are refering to the thrust arem bushings??

genphreak
02-06-2013, 01:52 AM
Russell, my apologies! I didn't R E A D properly so was talking thrust arm bushes.

I don't think the subframe bushes are different in any e32 or e34, but fitting poly bushes makes a big difference there as the rubber ones have a lot of open space in them to dissipate vibrations and noise. Poly will tighten the rear up a bit and make rough surfaces 'instantly tiresome', but the difference (apart from the added noise) is likely to be better road holding and less rear-end squirm when ***exiting corners hard***

If you have a manual and like to drive it, they might be worth while- certainly so if it is a track car.

Russell
02-06-2013, 06:20 AM
Russell, my apologies! I didn't R E A D properly so was talking thrust arm bushes.

I don't think the subframe bushes are different in any e32 or e34, but fitting poly bushes makes a big difference there as the rubber ones have a lot of open space in them to dissipate vibrations and noise. Poly will tighten the rear up a bit and make rough surfaces 'instantly tiresome', but the difference (apart from the added noise) is likely to be better road holding and less rear-end squirm when ***exiting corners hard***

If you have a manual and like to drive it, they might be worth while- certainly so if it is a track car.

Thanks,

I have not decided yet, but i am leaning toward going back to stock OE from BMW. Not aftermarket.

genphreak
02-07-2013, 12:00 AM
Thanks,

I have not decided yet, but i am leaning toward going back to stock OE from BMW. Not aftermarket.

If you are happy with M5 handling, stick with OE cans on the rear subframe, they spend considerable effort engineering them. Also, they don't have problems like the thrust arm bushings. Most important thing is to replace the dogbones as a wear item every couple of years, get the suspension right and if adjusting ride height to M-Tech or M5 height (or lower), get a set of adjusters like these (http://onemengineering.hopout.com.au/Products/bmwperformanceparts/bmwrearcambertoeadjustmentkit) welded to the trailing arm pivot points.

I have several of cars w these kits, they are better than they look and work a treat on e32s and e34s (not just e30s). Its worth buying 2 kits to do both camber and toe though, best not get under to do it again if the aligner won't get your car to align to M5 specification.

Russell
02-08-2013, 08:07 AM
Decided to go stock bushings. Ordered OE yesterday from thebmwpartsstore.com in cinci.

genphreak
02-10-2013, 08:33 AM
Cool- do take some pics and let us know how you go.

Remember to use lanolin to install them (its nice to rubber) and freeze them for a few days prior to trying... it makes it MUCH easier...

Russell
02-10-2013, 07:11 PM
Cool- do take some pics and let us know how you go.

Remember to use lanolin to install them (its nice to rubber) and freeze them for a few days prior to trying... it makes it MUCH easier...

Going to have an indy non-bmw shop put them in. I just do not have the time or facilities to do the job.

genphreak
02-10-2013, 08:12 PM
Going to have an indy non-bmw shop put them in. I just do not have the time or facilities to do the job. Indeed, sensible choice as it is a painful job without a lift, previously I did the same thing with ky local indie.

Gave them the mounts pre-frozen nad with Lanolin smeared on the sides in a little Esky to make it easy for them. The mounts popped straight in, which was nice as I know lots of people destry their puller's threads as they need continous applications of oil if they have to work against the pressure when everything's at ambient temperature. Hope all goes well.