PDA

View Full Version : Trunk and hood issues

bob91343
01-22-2013, 01:12 AM
I apologize in case this has been addressed before but I couldn't find it.

The trunk on my 1994 530i should be held up by springs when open. Those springs have gotten tired. Can this be adjusted, and if so, how?

The hood operates okay but when I pull the release lever, the hood moves only a little, not as it should. It opens okay and closes okay but I am trying to figure out where to lubricate it so it will operate normally. Any help?

Bob

shogun
01-22-2013, 03:32 AM
Hi Bob, lubricating does not help, the socalled springs are gas operated and over the years they leak, you need new ones
hood
2 x Gas pressurized spring 51 23 1 944 119 380N
Hood BMW 5' E34, 530i (M60) (http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E34/Sedan/USA/530i-M60/LHD/A/1994/june/browse/bodywork/hood/)

trunk
2 x Gas pressurized spring 51 24 8 110 327 410N
or with more power 2 x 51 24 2 231 663 480N , originally needed for vehicles with M technic rear spoiler
Single components for trunk lid BMW 5' E34, 530i (M60) (http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E34/Sedan/USA/530i-M60/LHD/A/1994/june/browse/bodywork/single_components_for_trunk_lid/)

Good quality and original is from Stabilus, there are cheaper ones available, but you get what you pay for.

Price example for hood spring: URO brand $9.89 per piece, Stabilus $19.97, and many others in between or even higher.

Tiger
01-22-2013, 10:30 AM
You need to replace the trunk shock... if it doesn't hold the trunk up... you need to change it.

I would leave the hood shock alone... it is working fine. That bang pop up when you pull the hood release is only good for new one. It won't be long before it doesn't do that anymore.

Buy quality shocks... don't buy too cheap or it will fail soon.

bob91343
01-22-2013, 01:10 PM
Thanks guys! Not what I wanted to see but truth prevails.

I will live with the problems; worse things are going on, notably with the front end. The trunk stays up when on level ground; it just is a bit hard to lift. I can push the hood open.

I don't like a design that requires money spent to correct, especially when nothing is broken and the repair will only have a limited life. These gas filled springs suck. Well, not literally.

Tiger
01-22-2013, 04:03 PM
They are fairly cheap and last a long time... 10 years or so.

bennyg
01-24-2013, 05:33 PM
I don't like a design that requires money spent to correct, especially when nothing is broken and the repair will only have a limited life. These gas filled springs suck. Well, not literally.
You will change your mind about the priority of fixing it after your trunk falls on your head while getting something out.

Plus, this is a downside of the luxury trappings in these cars, a tiny one IMO. Heavy boot needs gas lift - assistance for the old timers. Its not like its the ONLY thing that will ever wear out...

bob91343
01-24-2013, 06:45 PM
I have had the lid land on my head, and now am smart enough to raise it completely to reduce that tendency. If parked on a slope, it's more likely to fall.

The switch controlling the trunk light failed a while back. I disconnected it and installed a manual switch. Now if I want it lit, I hit the switch. I just have to remember to switch it off before closing the lid.

Another light problem I had was blowing dome light fuses. I tracked it down to a loose reflector in the central dome light. A little electrical tape and that one was solved.

632 Regal
01-26-2013, 03:18 AM
Bob, your going to want to check the wires in the trunk that are under the black cover on the left side hinge arm. Inside there will most likely be wires that are broken and bare. That can lead to all sorts of gremlins that could take a lifetime to figure out if not looking in there.

Lube everything in the hood area, in the front is the main hinge. THis will make things smoother. New shocks in the front suck when new, slams the hood forward like somethings going to bust. New shocks in the rear hold it up very well and until they get weaker the trunk will no longer close by itself.

bennyg
01-26-2013, 03:41 AM
New shocks in the rear hold it up very well and until they get weaker the trunk will no longer close by itself.

Dont you mean the boot will no longer open by itself? The gas struts in mine are tired and it sometimes wont stay open on a slope, and the slightest effort means it falls and slams. I'm always yelling at the gf coz she is dropping it from on high, when it only needs a drop of about 3 inches to close itself.

Tiger
01-26-2013, 10:27 AM
Why not change your 'boot' struts? Cheapest one is like $15 each at rockauto.

bob91343
01-27-2013, 01:35 AM
The 'problem' isn't really a problem, just a mild annoyance. I had (erroneously) thought that I could solve it with adjustments but apparently it requires part replacement.

genphreak
02-02-2013, 08:00 PM
I change them on all my cars, especially the front seats... I find it's best not to let little things get to me.

Common issue on all old cars. Luckily new struts are cheap (http://www.bmaparts.com), easy to source on the net, and easily replaced. Much better to do than risk a broken skull, or worse. If it happens to you, you'd just feel the pain, but if someone else, you might have to live with the bill and misery/guilt!

632 Regal
02-04-2013, 02:37 PM
^ whaaat?

genphreak
02-06-2013, 01:54 AM
^ whaaat? Well not everything buffs right out Jeff...