PDA

View Full Version : Helped out a newbie E34 owner today

billb
01-07-2013, 01:31 PM
Happy New Year Bimmernuts. Just wanted to pop in and say that the efforts of this forum branched further into the world today. At lunch I needed to walk across the street to pick up some WD-40 for a squeaky classroom door. On my way back, I saw an oxford green E34 touring with its hood up and the driver looking concerned. I strolled up, work attire and all, and asked if he needed some help. I told him I had a green '95 and was familiar with the breed.

He said "it's overheating". I got a little closer, and didn't see steam, but did see a new radiator. He said he had just had it replaced since it was leaking. I asked him if it had been bled during the installation. He did not know, but said he was trying to make it 2 miles up the road to have it checked out at a shop. I told him he could probably make that once it was cooled down a bit more, but to run the heat on the way there. He said "the heat hasn't worked since the radiator was installed".

My guess; no bleed during install, big air bubble that won't pass, just needs bleeding and will run like a top.

As I was walking away, I noticed a faded, bubbling BMW CCA decal in rear left window. This 20-year old example continues to roll on.

genphreak
01-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Nice work. I can't help helping either, but am amazed at how so many people have a psychotic dislike of being understanding to an old car, even when it cost them nothing and runs on the smell of an oily rag. They deserve Toyotas I guess, and luckily they can be told to go buy one if need be :-).

Amazing that his heater valve was still working really... lol