PDA

View Full Version : wind noise- no obvious air leaks-where to look?

Russell
11-15-2012, 09:16 AM
I have more wind noise than I think is appropiate starting at about 60 mph. All the door, window and sunroof gaskets look good, are clean etc. I replaced the driver's door gasket and sunroof gasket about two years ago. Any thought on where to look?

ScottyWM
11-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Have you checked the black trim around the windshield? Mine whistles there. I replaced the clips that hold the trim in place a couple years ago, but some of them have already busted and the trim is pulling away in a couple of spots again.
http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/5-series-bmw/43129-windscreen-trim.html

Russell
11-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Have you checked the black trim around the windshield? Mine whistles there. I replaced the clips that hold the trim in place a couple years ago, but some of them have already busted and the trim is pulling away in a couple of spots again.
http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/5-series-bmw/43129-windscreen-trim.html

It all looks tiight. Nothing lifted. That said, I will carefully check. Sound is not a whistling sound, more of a rush or roar- I think.

Russell
11-19-2012, 09:23 AM
Perhaps the driver's door panel fit is poor and lets in noise. They have been off several times-by me. Perhaps I need to re-seal them better somehow. Thoughts.

genphreak
11-19-2012, 06:18 PM
The door will have generally suck external air from the holes at the bottom to the top at a very slow rate. Can't see how it will make a noise. What shape is the inner seal and Sikaflex bead in? Maybe it is no longer sealing there.

Russell
11-19-2012, 09:56 PM
The door will have generally suck external air from the holes at the bottom to the top at a very slow rate. Can't see how it will make a noise. What shape is the inner seal and Sikaflex bead in? Maybe it is no longer sealing there. If you mean the black rubber seal on the body bonded with interior colored material, the driver's side is about 2 years old and seems to fit well.

632 Regal
12-01-2012, 06:28 PM
It was the window trim around the glass on my car. When they replaced the windshield they ruined the old moldings and replaced it with some generic seal/trim crap. It DOES NOT make that infamous wind tunnel noise however I can no longer crack the drivers window when it rains, right inside the car it goes including down the inside of the door.