PDA

View Full Version : Problem after replacing the oil pan gasket

crowegreg
11-13-2012, 11:20 AM
I've just replaced the oil pan gasket, quite an endeavor. My car sat for around 6 months. When I drove it recently, after shutting the engine off, I had a leak that I believed was from the gasket. Everything else was fine with the car. After replacing the gasket, I now have the problem that the dashboard displays both low oil and low coolant. I've rechecked that the plug for the oil level sensor is plugged in properly. I did not replace the oil level sensor. I did nothing to the radiator. Are these two sensors in anyway connected together somewhere? Their's plenty of coolant, and plenty of oil.

myles
11-13-2012, 04:13 PM
After maintenance I once had a problem with an oil level sensor falsely reporting low oil but after a few drives the problem went away. I guess there was some air trapped in the sensor. I'm not sure how you could have come up with the low coolant warning at the same time, those sensors are well removed from eachother, but I'd check the connection to the coolant sensor as a starting point, then get busy with the multimeter testing the sensors.

632 Regal
12-01-2012, 06:32 PM
both sensors are fussy. The oil sensor can get sticky and you will need to soak and flush it with mineral spirits or the like. The coolant sensor is also fussy, might be able to manually move it up and down to get it to work or might just need to replace it. Luck of the draw, you got both errors at the same time, not in any way attached.

Kibokojoe
12-15-2012, 09:59 PM
Yeah I had the same problem with the oil sensor. Think it gets a air bubble. After a little driving it goes away

shogun
12-16-2012, 10:10 PM
for both sensors: check the plugs to the sensors, often they are brittle and the plastic is broken and then the pins retract and there is no contact. Also these wires are very thin and often can break on our 20 year old cars, I recently resoldered one wire on the coolant sensor line, near the sensor. And the sensor itself can also break, the float be be full of coolant and does then not float. Take it out and inspect it.