PDA

View Full Version : What a (GOOD) Day... changed lots of rear end parts

RobPatt
11-09-2012, 08:50 PM
After reading the boards and the bad rap subframe bushings get, I was nervous. No need.

I did use a lift, but no air tools.

Bought a sawzall...followed all the regular posts about how to RR subframe bushings... and went to town.
First bush out in about 20 minutes after attack w/the sawzall.

Subframe lowered on its own about 2 or 3 inches, enough to easily slide the top half of the powerdyne (or whatever the yellow 2 piece poly bushings are from the UK...). Put the bottom half up in, bolt it up and done... Probably 45 minutes total one side.

Other side was 30 minutes... prob about 10 minutes, cut, look, cut, look.... pry a bit... cut more... pry more... test, cut, pull out the center of the bush... cut, look, pry... and soon the outer collapses.

The message: if you have the 2 piece poly bushings and a power saw... this is NOT a big deal.

While I was at it I replaced:
- upper strut mounts
- dogbones
- rear sway links

car has the sachs and the powerflex (yeah., that's the poly bushing, powerflex) up front in the lower control arms... and recent center tie rod...

MAN, she drives like a new BMW should! AWESOME... very very happy. YOU CAN DO IT... if you want pix, e-mail me. but the job is well documents.... (log into the forum and I think you can lookup userids....

All total, 6 hours... with a few mistakes and redos thrown in (forgot a washer on the dogbone... forgot the rubber spring mount inside the new strut mount... etc...

Cheers,
Rob.

RobPatt
11-11-2012, 12:55 AM
oops, forgot to add that I sheared off the little bolt that holds the subframe plate on the car... at least there's 2 of them... need to get an easyout on it and put a new bolt in before getting too excited when testing out the new poly... ha ha....

genphreak
11-11-2012, 11:26 PM
Nice one Rob, am very glad to read your experiences. How about some pics????

Oh and a good idea (once you have done enough miles) of the effect on cabin noise levels would round it really nicely... :)

RobPatt
11-13-2012, 07:08 PM
I wish... well really I think I can just put the pictures at my google picasa site? then link to them from here...?
As for the noise, no real difference... I'm REALLY happy with these replacements, dog bones, upper shock mounts... sway links and the big bushings.!