PDA

View Full Version : Republicans 206, Dems 303 in Congress (at the moment)

genphreak
11-07-2012, 01:18 AM
Mitt Romney just conceded.

For all those people who come to bimmernut for their daily news first, you got the news here first....

Obama is about to make the Democrat's victory speech.

From the rest of the world's perspective, we're thanking (our various) God's and consciences that the Republicans are not back to wage more war.

But the questions is, how the hell can anyone fix the enormous problems, even just the budget deficit racked up over the last 3 decades in anything under a few more decades, without rationing everything now. How long before the US heads over the fiscal cliff and Jed is running for President?

Phew, that was close.

But I hear the Senate is still capable of blocking as many bills as it has for a generation (something like 80%). Crumbs!

Maybe some bimmernuts should stand for the Senate, you fellas over there in the US may be able to turn the train away from the cliff... (?)

whiskychaser
11-07-2012, 03:47 PM
206 v 303 looks pretty conclusive but I heard the 'popular vote' was close. Why you would want to vote for someone who is unpopular is beyond me. Clearly my knowledge of US politics is so limited I am not qualified to say if Mr Obama getting another four years is 'a good thing' (1066 And All That)
But I have asked Mr Cameron to have a word with Mr Obama and suggest he brings US petrol prices in line with those in the UK. That should fill the US government's coffers pdq

genphreak
11-09-2012, 07:08 AM
The popular vote is now well in Obama's favour (last I read he is 2 million votes ahead of Romney)- but I heard today that the electoral college calculations reflect the people's vote along the boundaries that the various State Governors set (at each election); giving them the ability to influence state outcomes in favour of their favorite candidate. 'aka filibustering the poll'). That sounds downright undemocratic- it just allows politicians power to adjust the vote to suit them- disenfranchising voters at each election. Crumbs!

From what I know oil prices (aka Energy policy) is one of the financial cliff 'problems', (right up there with deficit, health, education, looking after returned veterans, fixing the legal system, IP law, building the economy up, improving inefficiency and reducing consumption and waste, etc. - some of which have been far better dealt with by Governments around the world over the last 2 decades. The remainder now boil under others. Our cousins over the pond need to turn such things into an opportunity (somehow)... and we need to be ready to help as so many of these issues are global now.

whiskychaser
11-09-2012, 07:33 PM
Oh I am a simpleton. I didnt see why you couldnt double the fuel prices in the US to match ours.

genphreak
11-11-2012, 11:23 PM
I took what you said incorrectly- the other way around. Yes, well that would fix the deficit, but a lot of business in the US is energy hungry- doubling it would put many out of business in short order. Arguably what needs to be done, but gradually so they can restructure and reduce energy costs. After all, they adn we have to stop burning so much carbon fuel!