PDA

View Full Version : Hello from way back! Recent problem and solution to sticking door handle.

billb
10-26-2012, 09:17 AM
Hey gang, it's been forever since I've posted. Ginger still soldiers on at 186k miles. She turned 18 this year (5/94 build). She's starting to come apart a little at the seams (needs a new driver's seat bottom, driver's side electric lock is dodgy, the sunroof switch panel clips disintegrated, other little niggly things). She needs her third battery in the near future (Original Douglas one lasted 11 years, 2nd Autozone one 7 years). She protests in reverse a bit until warmed up, but will move fine once the fluids are moved around a bit.

Had a recent issue with the passenger front door handle. It would stick about halfway up after opening, then when the door was closed and subsequently locked, the door would jump out to the safety position. Quite alarming for my passenger (wife!).

My solution was to remove the handle completely from the car (required pulling the interior door panel, something we should be able to do in our sleep by now), and removing the handle itself from the door. Hardest part is carefully removing the lock actuator rod from the solenoid without breaking anything).

Once the handle was out, I could see that the molded plastic portion of the handle that sweeps across the handle body was dragging during it's swing. My Dremel tool came out, and I sanded the molded plastic portion as well as the cast handle body to remove the interference. I could not detect any damage in the pin or handle that would have caused it to shift down like that, but it had moved somehow.

Anyway, checked that it was clear and moving free before the reinstall (the hardest part is reinserting the lock rod back into the solenoid), and buttoned it all back up. It works like a charm (again).

The E46 has about 146k on it, and is my go-to daily driver. But the E34 is a nice reminder of BMW's good years.

ScottyWM
10-26-2012, 11:08 AM
Hey Bill - I thought you were going to sell Ginger! Just can't give her up, eh? I'm still driving the wagon daily, it turns 20 in December. I have the headliner out and am going today to pick up the 13 pieces that just got recovered. (I recovered it myself 8.5 years ago, this time I'm letting the pros do it.) Just finished repairing the rear hatch wiring for the 2nd time too! I haven't seen the handle problem yet, but my driver handle pull sometimes doesn't want to release all the way back into the door - I'll keep your fix in the back of my mind. At least we can tear into these cars and fix them!

shogun
10-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Hi Bill, Ginger just became 18 years old, so she is an adult now. Many years to go, do not worry. She just needs a bit of care now and then. My 88 E32 750iL is now almost 25 years old and still going strong.

genphreak
10-27-2012, 05:17 AM
I think you are talking about the late model e34 handles, those made with plastic exterior. The aluminum ones can fail too, but do not jam in the same way, ie cause the door latch from latching the door closed. On the last aluminum one I studied with the interference issue, I think I concluded it may have been the aluminium fingers bending slightly- maybe in the heat. I am yet to pull one out, but will do so soon. The plastic ones have a slight 'feel' improvement (the body of the handle is still aluminium). They are identified by the plastic door-handle surround, with a slightly textured finish, I think they are fitted to the later cars with bumper bits that are similarly textured.

Bill R.
11-14-2012, 01:40 AM
Hi Guys, Im looking forward to getting historic copper license plates for mine next september, It has to be 25 years old here for historic plates.

myles
11-14-2012, 03:40 PM
It's just amazing that these cars are getting to that age so effortlessly. Mine's 24 this month. Still looks great, feels great and keeps me smiling.

And I just realised that I've been hanging around this site for over 10 years now. Great work Ed!